Masters Running

It starts again with Monday, 11.25.19 (Read 37 times)

Joe618

Wonderful news, jlynne!!   Happy for you this is clearing up!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

mrrun

Well, phooey.  I usually

What else do you get a 17-year old girl that you don't really know?

amazon gift card - I tend to have a couple in the house if I don't know if someone is showing up!

congrats jlynne - getting doc clearance is always good.

waving hi to everyone else!

marj

Good news, Jeanne!      Agree- Amazon gift card is always good.

2.1 treadmill miles when I got home.  Got my 2nd shingles shot, so may not feel well tomorrow.  That shot hurts like a ..........

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

pfriese

Evening all,

An easy 5 mile run to/around the park & back for me this afternoon before the electrician cam to finish up some wiring in the kitchen.

Paul

dnaff

Another enjoyable day reading through all your posts.  Now if I only remember to come back here and look when I need to access some music.  Currently using an old Shuffle with plenty of tunes on it.  But nothing lasts forever.

Misha and I had a great hike on the trails today.  All the dogs we met were well behaved and Misha was too.  Always a plus.

Got some outdoor Christmas decorations up (but not lit yet) and a good yoga session too.  And I raked for what I hope is the last time this season.

Enjoy the evening folks.

Tribee still has a hard time wrapping her head around it sometimes. "So, wait, we're listening to music on the stereo that's coming from your phone via Bluetooth, which is getting it from the internet via wi-fi?"

*Raising Hand in Allegiance 'Cause Totally Confused, As Well.*  I have a semi-smart phone (Tracfone Smart Phone), which supposedly has bluetooth capability (does that cost anything??).  I have a stereo receiver and I have wi-fi.  Somehow all these are supposed to come together?

After 2 hrs with him, I did a minor victory dance after our litigation client walked out of our office with 4 boxes of documents he has agreed to plow through and provide a road map instead of me trying to put together a road map.  In jest ( . . . sort of . . . ) I told him, "You realize I've cursed your name of a couple of times, don't you?"  He was a good sport.  Now that he's stepping up to the plate, I think I'll have a better attitude about him.

I'm beat, but I think I'll go to the gym after work and take my frustrations out on the elliptical.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

anneb

We don’t have a old school stereo per se, but soundbars generally sound pretty good and unless you’re an audiophile that is likely your stereo since it seems like all tv’s need them… so your phone connects to your soundbar via Bluetooth and you play Pandora at home over WiFi!

magic

Anne

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, I hope Apple retains some version of iTunes (I suspect they will)...that's how I build my spin playlists (among other things).  Slept in this morning but did get in a run at lunch.  A good one around the base.  First mile was sub 8:00 so I tried to see how many I could keep there.  Turned out it was all of them.  Average over 7 miles was 7:22/mile.  Really good run.  After work went to teach spin and was packing up when a husband/wife team came in.  They'd never done spin before but I'm nothing if not adaptable.  Hopefully they'll be back.

So I'll work tomorrow, teach spin, then drive home Tuesday night.  Long day, but if nothing else the roads should be relatively empty (he said while knocking wood).  In case I don't get on, that's why.

Have a greta night everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Most everything you guys talk about in here is over my head.  I am going to try to download the Spotify app, though.

I went to the track, tonight, for my speed workout...it will probably be my last opportunity to run on the track...we're expecting 7" of snow tomorrow night.  Anyway--the plan was to do 8 x 600 in 2:14.  Except for the first one, which was 2:15.32, I managed to get them all around an average of 2:11.  I'll take it.  It sure was windy!

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

our litigation client walked out of our office with 4 boxes of documents he has agreed to plow through and provide a road map instead of me trying to put together a road map. 

excellent. excellent. excellent.

Evanflein asked yesterday (Better than yesterday, actually),

"BTY, I just can't imagine swimming over 2 miles. Egads, man. How long did that take?"

it took 1 hour, 27 minutes. 

BTY - Congratulations on the 20-miles in a month!

Double congratulations on 1hr/27 min for two miles plus.

My PW for 2.4 miles is 2-hours and the same 27min,

. . . and yes, because the time limit was 2hr20min

at the time, it had a big DQ beside it too. (IMCdA).

I went for my follow up appointment with the eye surgeon this afternoon. Cleared to resume "normal activity!"  Now if I can only remember how to run farther than half a block...

Jeanne - fantastic.  Just remember, even "normal" under Father Time

is better than no normal at all. Very happy for you.

You'll never, ever in your life meet someone more electronically challenged than me (or my DH)

I'd never even heard of some of the gadgets being discussed by Tramps, Roch, et al and the others and I've never been interested because I'm not willing to have to use ear plugs to listen to music like I can do on a portable radio with a built-in speaker (or the gradually-falling-apart, convenient Radio Shack headset AM/FM radio I'm still using) plus, not only music but news, sports, talk-shows, etc.  Unfortunately, no TV bands anymore to listen to Jeopardy, tv sports, etc.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I just stick to a simple MP3 player that I connect to my computer and drag songs onto. Almost foolproof. Current playlist is the Bird and the Bee's new Van Halen tribute album, Neil Young's new one, and the latest Killers album. For the home system, I have an old Pioneer receiver and a CD player, as well as a cassette deck and a turntable that we never use. I also just connect an MP3 player to the receiver via the headphone jack into one of the RCA inputs with an adapter cable; no bluetooth in that old thing. Currently running through a pair of vintage Magnepan MG-IIb speakers, but they look more impressive than they sound. I have several other speaker sets, I'll mess around with them at some point.

Speaking of music, unscheduled rest day, some old friends (Steve and Dan from Cherry Poppin Daddies) were in town playing at Slim's last night and they wanted to stop in and visit on their way back to Eugene. So I ate Mexican food for lunch, which negates any running later in the afternoon. Well, they didn't get their other stops done as early as expected and hit rush hour on the way over from SF, and also found out there is a record snowstorm coming to Southern Oregon and wanted to beat it, so we planned to hook up another time. They're playing Hawaii next week. I won't hook up with them there! And thus I didn't get in a run today.

We'll be facing the storm on Wednesday going to Oregon, but it's supposed to clear up by the time we get to Shasta. Hopefully they'll keep on top of the plowing and we'll have clear roads by then. I've got chains, and we'll have several days worth of food with us, and sleeping accommodations for all of us in the van if we get stranded. I'll need to take some "real" books in case we get caught in a cellular dead zone. I did get stuck in Weed for a few days once, they closed I-5 in both directions, so it's not improbable.

I couldn't find an acceptable Turkey Trot in Central Oregon while we're there. $50 for a 5k is not acceptable.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

wildchild

Carolyn

Jeanne, I'm glad your eye is healed up!  Enjoy the return to activity!

I'm also somewhat electronically challenged, so not sure what you're all talking about...

I ran to the rec center and back, 4 miles round trip, and broke out the screw shoes since it was hard packed icy snow.  But when I went in the rec center, I took my shoes off and worked out in socks, because I figured the screws might mess up their floor. 

They're predicting anywhere from 8 to 22 inches of snow.  I wish they could predict a bit better.  But I got 10 gallons of gas and filled up the plow truck, just in case.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

I went for my follow up appointment with the eye surgeon this afternoon. Cleared to resume "normal activity!"  Now if I can only remember how to run farther than half a block...

This is such a wonderful news.

Erika, I am still trying to figure out what is the culprit of my allergic reaction. Doing much better today.  But the hunt for the culprit is not over yet.

Today I ran 5.5 miles on the TM plus some weights. I am really enjoying my membership at the new gym. 25 dollars a month, a block from my office.  No contract. A fun place to hang out and run.

Ohhh we got our first snow today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Like anything, it seems a little complicated at first but it's probably harder to explain than it is to do.

Step 1: download a music streaming app to a device (computer, phone, smartTV, etc). You can now play music through the speaker on this device. You're done.

Optional Step 2: If you'd like better sound, you can push the music to a better speaker system. For example, a smartphone's Bluetooth can be used to connect to your car's stereo, your Bluetooth-enabled home stereo, a spyware listening bug smart speaker, etc. Done.

----------

Details:

"Bluetooth" is just a wireless technology standard that enables devices to "talk" to each other. If you don't have a Bluetooth device (older stereos, cars, etc, might not have Bluetooth capability), you can hard-wire your phone to any stereo, sound bar, boombox, or car audio from your phone's headphone jack to an auxiliary in jack ("AUX IN") using a 3.5m male-to-male cable (~$6); one of these:

If you don't have an AUX IN jack on your device, look for a pair of red and white jacks. If you have them, you can use an RCA jack adapter cable (~$8); one of these:

Finally, another option is getting a Bluetooth audio adapter (~$20-40), which plugs into any stereo via those RCA jacks (the red and white ones) and enables it to receive Bluetooth signals.

Alternately, you can wait until your Thanksgiving family gathering and ask the nearest 12-year-old to help you.

Be safe. Be kind.

Alternately, you can wait until your Thanksgiving family gathering and ask the nearest 12-year-old to help you.

Isn't that the truth?! Every time my grandkids come over and want to watch a movie, I pick up our assortment of remotes and scratch my head. The 10 year-old just looks at me and says "grandma, just let me do it!"  The humiliation of being one-upped by a little guy!

And thanks Tramps! I'm downloading Spotify today.