Masters Running

HM RR - Bleh! (Read 283 times)

You're one tough runner.
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
    huskydon

enke, So sorry to hear about your experience. It is no fun when you are on track and the wheels fall off. But, you showed a lot of grit and determination in finishing, and with a decent time too. Rest and recover and the next time will be a piece of cake. huskydon
      SteveP

Your course description is pretty kewl. As far as racing ill....I've been there. Some lessons we have to learn the hard way...We're pulling for you on a sub 2. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

I took a walk break just before the last half mile, to save up some energy so that I wouldn’t have to been seen walking by the spectators congregated near the finish. I even contemplated limping a bit after the finish to conceal the real reason for my dismal race, in case I ran into anyone I knew.
          Big grin Big grin Enk – you need to run more races, if nothing else so you can continue to write these hilarious reports. Don’t feel so bad about your time. Circumstances out of your control (fever, virus) got in the way, as so often can happen when we have big races planned, or big plans for races. Many folks would have stayed home, but you went and toughed it out anyway - good for you! Given the givens, I still think you did a great job. Shoot, a 2:15 is a good time even if you weren't sick, imo. If it makes you feel any better, I have a HM coming up in a couple weeks, and I’m quite sure I’ll be setting a major PW. I’m just hoping to beat 2:30, and my last HM (a year ago) was 1:48, so it will be WAY off any PR possibilities.... Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Sorry to hear you weren't at 100% going into this race. It can be a tough call - if you're really sick you would probably bail on the race, but when you think you're better, you give it a try. And then you find out part way through that you're really NOT better. When you're feeling 100% you'll get that sub-2. BTW, 2:15 is better than I did in my first HM, and I wasn't sick. So don't be too hard on yourself.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

This sounded like a pretty brutal race Enke. I know and you know that under better circumstances you can do much better. This was just not your day - the humidity, still not feeling 100% after your virus, etc. Under better circumstances, I know that sub 2 is not that far off for you. Sounds like much of this course is right by where I used to live when I lived in Redmond. I lived in some condos that are right on the BG trail as you approach Leary Way going into Redmond. I biked this portion of the trail all the time when I lived there. And I chuckled at your "dude looks like a lady"! Finding some humor is the best way to get through tough races like that one.

Tammy

((Enke)), I'm a bit surprised that you went ahead and ran this race anyway knowing your strength and stomach felt like I felt (or so it sounded ) all last week: crappy. See what I mean about that course giving me the "willies"? It's just a weird course. You either like it or you don't and I don't. And I think it can throw pacing, and even worse when you're feeling crummy. Now, put this experience in the bank as a SOLID training effort. Very solid!! Forgot anything about it relating to your fitness and potential for the next one. If you are feeling 100% and have the time, I really recommend a jaunt up to Mt. Vernon to run Skagit Flats this weekend. Really sweet race, organization and t-shirts. It may not be a PR because you are still recovering from Monday, but at least you can put SJJ behind you. Plus, I think Lynden will be there! Smile Or, join me/friends in Bellingham in a few weeks? It's a hilly course, but you will have no trouble with it. Nada.
                  Enke----I am SO sorry that this was a yuckmo experience after you focused on this with your whole heart. You ARE stronger and faster and this just wasn't the race that proved it. I felt badly laughing about the dude looks like a lady comment and the exploding GU, but I couldn't help it. You might have felt lousy, but your humor remained firmly intact. Thank goodness. This course sounds way complicated even if it's mostly flat. Hi Soundrunner! Check out some other races and try not to go for the PR when you are feeling poorly. I know we can't time these things perfectly, but I just know the "Hey, I waxed my PR!" race report is coming up soon from you. Someday I'll cheer for my PNW Karen sister in person! Karin/CNYrunner
                    Thanks everyone...still feeling carpy and want to get over this soon! srlopez - it was definitely the Escher painting! And the thought, is that where I'll be running next, or is that where I just came from? I immediately knew at that point what Soundie was talking about when she said "that course gives me the willies". Soundie - I won't be ready in time for Skagit flats. But the thought did cross my mind. It is always a hard call to make. I felt pretty good on Sat, but crappy on Sunday again. Thought maybe I would just be over it by Monday, or that it wouldn't affect me too much. Now I know. And I've realized instead of giving up on racing, I think I need to race more often! And someday all the stars will be aligned. But I won't set myself up for failure again. It was just too painful.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

This is a slippery slope. I hope to be there when Enke hits bottom (so to speak). Dark Horse
                      Wanna be there also. I so admire you sistahhhhh for your stick-to-ittibity (is that how how spell this).Hey your finish time is better than my HM finish time and I don't even have the sickness excuse. Great job. Now please rest up for the Portland fun.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard