Masters Running

Monday "Last Call for November" 11.30.15 (Read 37 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I have a trip to Singapore and then Hong Kong coming up. Singapore has high heat and humidity (lows in the upper 70s and highs in the upper 80s each and every day) but reasonably good air quality. Hong Kong has much more temperate weather but the pollution levels are pretty high. Any suggestions about running in either place?

I don't know about Hong Kong but it’s impossible not to have a great time in Singapore, especially if you have time to scale one of the island’s few climbs up 344' to Mt. Faber. It’ll take about 15 minutes. Then take the cable car to the beaches of Sentosa Island, or a five minute run on the causeway walkway over there that’s open 24 hours in case you have jet lag.

Though all they had in those days was the 20km Big Walk across the island for a couple hundred highly-competitive race-walkers, it’s now had as many as 77,000 participants and there seem to be official races almost every weekend. Hope you can do one of them and come back with a great RR and a Singapore tee if it works out. I hope so.  Don’t forget to get some Tiger Balm to apply right before any runs (and afterwards too).
    http://www.runningguild.com/index.php/runningcalendar/

ps - with ultra-marathons into the heart of the mountainous island, Hong Kong is probably even better.

Maybe try to connect with local running clubs in both places. The very first official race in my whole life

was the University of Singapore Student/Faculty Race in case you're out there.

I still have the finisher's plaque and singlet.
    pps - in case he’s emerged from the rainy season, maybe the great one can see if Jdmom

still has some ideas from her time over there too.

ppps - don’t stay so long that anything under 80-degrees starts feeling cold,  . . . even when you come back.
    pppps - Singapore Airlines offers gratis Singapore Slings to all passengers.
    Maybe go to Raffles (if it’s still there) for a real one
    ppppps - possibly read/reread Conrad’s “Lord Jim” mostly based out of there or,

better yet, Maugham’s “The Casuarina Tree” for some cultural background still applicable today.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hi all,

No time for shoutouts except, wow, tet! Two marathons and keeping your toes warm too! Say Deez, what kind of bike did you get. You must have been looking or did you really just buy it on the spot like that? I do want to scold everyone for calling Thanksgiving "Turkey Day" though. You should know by now that Turkey Day is the 2nd Saturday after Labor Day right here in Worthington, MN, the turkey capital of the world! http://www.kingturkeyday.net/history.html

It's been a crazy busy couple of weeks here. It seems that every free moment I had was spent practicing my clarinet part for the orchestra concert last Tuesday. It was an awesome concert that we performed with the group Brule'. It is kind of a long story, but Paul Summers grew up as part of a white middle-class family in this small community in SW MN. He was adopted at birth, and was a very talented musician. Paul knew about his adoption but his true heritage was kept a secret. After Paul lost both of his adoptive parents in the same year, Paul's wife Kathy (a classmate of mine) discovered his adoption papers. When Paul was 38 he discovered his biological Lakota family and was reunited with a brother, sister, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews. Paul moved to the reservation in SD to learn about his heritage and culture. He started the new genre of contemporary Native American music, mixing the traditional sounds of Native America with the music we grew up with, rock, pop, jazz and everywhere in between.

I copied these photos from FB but don't know how to resize them...

Paul Sommers Laroche

Me and my clarinet

Oh, I ran last night to avoid the wet heavy snow we got today. Without even too much effort I made it around the lake in just under an hour in 30° temps.  I will hit the Y tomorrow do avoid the sloppy messy streets.

G'night all.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

Star, you look stunning!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I have tasted persimmons in various ways, but never in a salad. Will have to try, specially if it is used with kale.

The cold front is still hitting us badly. It has been below  every day for over a week now. After my long run yesterday, I decided to sleep in and have a luxurious early morning yerbamate drink before I went to work. Tomorrow will be another TM miles.

Cheers to all!!!

Congrats to Tetsujin for another fantastic marathon finished!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard