Masters Running

January Masters Miles (Read 37 times)

Well, serendipity, I hit a prime number without meaning to.  29 miles for January.

I know that is pathetic, but up from 5 miles in December.  I started a new job in December, it was dark and rainy every morning, and my motivation and free time to run went poof!

I am VERY impressed with what you have done, Wildchild, since your running debut.  I started running 10 years ago too!!  Same as you, but you just went on to do so many marathons and then ultras..  I am really.....so impressed.  But I do remember getting "hooked" on running after about 3 months...and then finding Coolrunners as I wanted to learn how to train to run faster.  I started running sometime between October 2005 and January 2006, as a stress reliever from dealing with a difficult toddler - who is now 13!

New this month is my cycling....something I hope to alternate with running to keep me fit for running and go easy on my feet and joints, which have been revolting against me the past few years.

I have a secret goal of running 200 miles in one month this year.  It's crazy, I know, but I think even when I ran 1800 miles one year, I never did 200 in one month.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks as always Ultra- Carolyn
      and congratulations on your tenth year running anniversary
      How many ultras vs. marathons in the mix?
      How many states?
      Any foreign countries?
      . . . or foreign running plans <<(japan/japan)>>>
      How many miles on dirt trails vs. paved roadways?
      = = = = = = =
      January 2016 - tetsujin: 27 prime miles
      After from one-to-five January marathons for the last five years, the business reasons I was over there curtailed a planned New Year’s Marathon with the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club to a half mary but it was A-Okay as included some of the 1.1 mile laps around the Grand Central Park in Hiratsuka south of Tokyo with MikeMP who was able to stick around and do the whole thing, to say nothing of the post-mary party, and becoming a member too..
      1/10 - Japan Joyful New Year’s Marathon - 13.1 miles
      1/22 - ten Friday morning/evening combined commuting miles
      1/24 - four Sunday morning back-and-forth miles to buy butter
      ps - although I never dreamed of doing more than that one first one in 1977 when a bunch of us skiers up a little south of erika-land wondered if being in shape from winter skiing was good enough to run for planned one-time-only 26.2 miles in the then only marathon in town (it was), 2016'll mark 30-years of from 1-21 a year. However, I’ll have to wait until next year for the anniversary celebration. Good luck to you too when 2036 rolls around!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Hi WC,

Thanks again for helping us track our monthly progress, and congrats on your 10th 'runniversary' (good term, Deeze - and congrats to you too)!

130.0 racewalking miles for January. Only one race, a 5K on New Year's morning, and no awards other than the joy of being outside for workouts most days, but that is more than enough. I started running in '91 on a bet, and then switched to racewalking after foot surgery in '03. It's been a while...

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wildchild

Carolyn

I ran 181 miles in January - a prime! Some runs on the beach in Mexico, and some runs in the snow in Colorado.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments on my 10 year runniversary!  I looked back at my log, which was a fun trip down memory lane, and found that since 2012  I have run 14 marathons and 14 ultras (10 -  50ks, 3 -  50 milers, and a 100k).  I also ran 10 long runs that were over marathon length - mostly fat ass runs or group runs with friends in the mountains.  I only have 10 states, though - guess I need to work on that,  but it hasn't been a big factor for me in picking races.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SubDood

Happy runniversary wildchild! Thanks for this monthly thread, and for the chart of prime numbers  ...

233.0 miles for January / 2016 (a prime).

Disney World Marathon: my finish time was almost a PW, but it was a nice way to finish a nice family vacation. On-course hugs from my wife and son (a first for me) were a very special treat!

Half Marathon on January 30th, in shorts, in Minnesota! That's a first as well.

I found RA in the fall of 2011 while looking for a mapping tool that would help me figure out how far I had run. (I was not yet convinced I needed GPS.) Stumbled across the RA forums, and now come here for daily inspiration. Thanks!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Somehow I made my month(125). 127 miles.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Sayhey! MM#130

Wish I could remember when I got on CR, but it's been a while.  I remember posting there about my first marathon in 2003.

Ran another one in Jacksonville in January and a couple of halt marathons, a 5K.

290 miles in January.

Thanks,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I have a secret goal of running 200 miles in one month this year.  It's crazy, I know, but I think even when I ran 1800 miles one year, I never did 200 in one month.

Just do it and it won't seem so crazy!  Maybe wait until December so you can make a final push for an annual goal.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

HermosaBoy

233.5 miles in January

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

BlazinCajun

Congrats on 10 years - Thanks for doing this.

January's miles: 201.2

Andrew
                      ------------------
                      God, my Lord, is my strength;
                      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                      and enables me to go upon the heights.
                      Hb 3:19

Running: 33.63 mi

Swimming: 2.54 mi

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

pfriese

Thanks Carolyn.

January running: 141.2 miles

Paul

moebo

Thank, Wild, and happy 10th runniversary!

I, too, am so impressed by how much you have done since you started. I feel like such a slacker by comparison! I began running in 2003 and started posting on CR in 2005, when I was training for my first marathon. I have never raced much and have never gone over the marathon distance. I think my highest mileage month ever was probably about 150.

116.9 miles for me in January, nothing special.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Happy 10th Cool Runner!

I started there too in 2004. All my logged runs are on RA after transferring from CR.

Backing off mileage to pick up some speed. Hopefully

January  250.7

Run streak alive and well.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

January awards:

Most miles: Aamos (290 miles).  2nd place: perchcreek (250.7 miles).  3rd place: DennisLey (236.9 miles).

Fewest miles:  tetsujin (27 miles).  2nd place: enke (29  miles).  3rd place: rochrunner (33.6 miles).

Awesome average: pfriese (141.2 miles).  2nd place: fatozzig (132.5 miles).  3rd place: coastwalker (130  miles).

Magnificent median: coastwalker (130  miles). 2nd place: Cecil60 (128 miles).  3rd place: fatozzig (132.5 miles).

Prime numbers:  enke (29), MIke E (97), Opie (101), Jlynne (103), runnerclay (127), wildchild (181), SubDood (233), perchcreek (251).

Thanks for playing!

<colgroup width="152"></colgroup> <colgroup width="81"></colgroup> <colgroup width="168"></colgroup>
                                Name Jan miles Jan PRs
                                AamosY 290  
                                perchcreek 250.7  
                                DennisLey 236.9  
                                hermosaboy 233.5  
                                SubDood 233  
                                evanflein 231.2  
                                rmcj001 218 HM 3rd AG
                                BlazinCajun 201.2  
                                Holly S. 187.5  
                                wildchild 181  
                                milktruck 180.2  
                                pfriese 141.2  
                                fatozzig 132.5  
                                coastwalker 130  
                                Cecil60 128 Sub-20 5k
                                runnerclay 127  
                                buehrle 125.2  
                                moebo 116.9  
                                Jlynne 103.3  
                                Opie 101  
                                Mike E 97 50th marathon, 1st AG
                                spacityrunner 94.2  
                                deez4boyz 84.2  
                                stumpy77 76.7  
                                rochrunner 33.6  
                                enkephalin 29  
                                tetsujin209 27  

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.