Masters Running

Monday morning wake-up runs (Read 338 times)

Nice long runs for Tramps, evan, and PBJ (in a string of LRs).

This morning, it was in the low to mid 40s and almost calm.  It's nice, but too early for those temps.  I got in 8 miles in a bit under 1:18 for a 9:44 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tammy, my son's first day of grade 4 as well.   How did he get to 4th grade already???  Anyway, they are in a brand spanking new school this year (last year they torn it completely down and re-built).  The parents and kids were all a buzz impatiently waiting to get inside the new school and check it out.  It is absolutely gorgeous.  Hope they can find their classrooms tomorrow as it is a bit of a maze.  And now I hear they are going to do a complete re-build of the middle school next year, so he will get to go to that too.

No run, just lots of errands to do.

You marathon trainers just rock so much.  I am so inspired and impressed by those tough runs you do, Erika, dg! 16 miler, Leslie after lifting and moving boxes all week, PBJ, unintential 23 miler.....I hope to be back there someday and all of you keep that dream alive for me.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Today's my last full weekday at the shore until late September, but am I outside?  No.  Cool and drizzling this morning, so after I ran and then got mom on the road, I scheduled an appointment at the Genius bar at the apple store in Atlantic City.  Of course, by the time I got here, the sun peeked out from behind the clouds.  Grrrr. Not too bad, though, as I'm sitting on the third floor of what I think used to be the Steel Pier, with my feet in "imported" sand, watching the ocean and playing on the computer.  I'll walk "my" beach in a few hours and will run the boardwalk and have a final summer vacation paddle before heading home tomorrow to restart what feels more and more like my other life.

Ran 3 and walked 1 this morning.  Finally got up and out as early as I've tried to for days - was on the boardwalk before sunrise - and it was delightful.  Temps around 68, gorgeous sunrise before the clouds and drizzle moved in.  And NO ANKLE PAIN!  I was really hurting all weekend after Thursday's run, so I've been listening to my tendonitis-prone ankles and stretching per the doc's and PTs' orders.  And I feel better - duh!!!

I'm terrible with transitions, so even though this summer has been awesome and I'm really not all that sorry to be going back to school, I'm kind of wistful anyway.  The good news is that I'll be back on Friday for a three-day weekend - with a sunset/full moon paddle in the works.  The better news is that I'll have internet access every day and I'll be able to keep in better touch with all of you amazing masters runners.  Smile  (Oh, yeah, and I think this Friday's pay day!)  

Best wishes to those of you with kiddos going back to school.  

MTA - I just looked at my class lists online.  Yikes!! 29 kids in 8th & 7th grade general music?!?!  And one section of 8th grade with SIX knuckle headed boys, no 2 of whom should ever be in the same class.  I think I need another week of vacation already!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Eliz, I don't know how you stand teaching middle schoolers!  Even with summer vacation as a job perk!   Good luck facing the little monsters.

No time for a RAL, as we had a conference call with a big client.  Will RAW instead. Boy, we have more acronyms here than in the environmental biz, it seems! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Eliz, my sweet little 11-year-old is dreading her first day of middle school on Wednesday.  Today she typed up a letter to  her teachers.  Part of it read:  "I'm excited to learn about the new things that are coming my way!  I will try my best to follow the rules, and learn what you will be teaching us!  But first, I have a few questions, like can you go to the bathroom during class?  Will we getting a lot of projects?  Are there a lot of tests in 6th grade?  What will we be specifically learning in your class?  Is there any way for me to get a lower locker or do I have to keep a top locker?  And lastly, may I be called Katy Dawn next year?"  (last year, her teacher didn't realize the "Dawn" was important to her and just called her "Katy.")  I hope she can switch lockers, because she can hardly reach the upper one!

Sort of a rest day. Was suppose to have the day off, but after a pleading phone message yesterday from my boss, I went in for about 4.5 hours and pulled the rest of the office together.  Tomorrow I start my new job.  Will be working two part-time jobs.  Think I'll get things off on the right foot if  I bring in a box of goodies?

Also went for a much needed and deserved massage this afternoon.  Those things are never long enough and the pressure is never hard enough.

Have a great week, folks.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I just tried one more trick to help biketm with adding paragraphs but no dice.  I had hoped that clicking on HTML would bring up a new URL but it does not.  Sigh.  Sorry, biketm between RA and your webtv I must admit defeat. 

Amazing how many schools are starting up before Labor Day!  If I were a kid I would view this as entirely unfair!

Quick roundup:  Jlynne 39°!  Where is global warming when you need it!?  Did I really miss the whole fall's worth of running too?  Yikes!  Now if it were 39° in evanflein's neck of the woods that would not rattle me.  But here in the lower 48?  Oh yea, breger1 careful what you wish for!

perchcreek glad to see your run went so well.  But, I bet it was the result of your conditioning and not the low fuel levels during the run.  Many studies now show that running without fuel reduces what you can do.  So you likely ran slower than you might have which may account for feeling relatively stronger today.

DW set a new race distance PR with her 9.4 mile race on Saturday.  This coming Saturday is the big 10 miler she has been building up to.  I am trying to convince her to give the HM a week from Saturday a shot.  She is kind of on the fence.  I may make it yet!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/