Masters Running

Monday, March 8 Almost-Spring Runs (Read 488 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Tramps and  Helen, congrats to you both on your 3rd in AGs yesterday!
    PDR and Nono, congrats on the nice 21 milers!
    Erika, I'm sick of winter too, but at least it's above zero here, my eyelashes don't freeze, and I don't get snow blindness.  You're amazing for staying out there for 20 miles yesterday!
    Kimmie, I see from peeking at your log that you ran a race on Saturday.  Ahem, where's your race report?  And it doesn't have to be a separate thread, you can mention it in the daily.
    WRFB, wow, what a speedy zero miler today! 
    Sue, thanks for the reminder about daylight savings time!  Sorry your foot hurt on Saturday. Running in boots is tough. I'm sore after all the free fitness classes on Saturday!  But sore in a good way - I musta used lots of muscles I don't normally use.
    Bruce, nice that you got together with some old friends after your nice 18-miler yesterday!

Leslie, congrats on finishing two tough runs this weekend.  The trouble with using your car for an aid station is when it grabs you and doesn't let you finish!  I guess stopping by your house in mid-run could have the same issue.

We got some girl scout cookies last week, because DD asked one of her teachers for a recommendation for a scholarship application, and the teacher said we could come pick it up at the grocery on Saturday while she was staffing the cookie booth. So of course we had to buy some when we got there...  I don't really want to know how bad they are for you.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

EGH, I must say racing with the stomach flu is generally not recommended.  I can't believe you lasted the whole way.

Girl Scout cookies, do you like the way they practically barricade the entrance to the grocery stores?  Well at 4 bucks a box, my cheapness wins out over my gluttony.

It was snowing lightly here a moment ago, WTH? (my kids are trying to get me not to swear so much, just the s word, nothing too serious)

44F, windy, did my 3 mile recovery run in shorts but I'm thinking tights tomorrow in case something happens and I have to walk back to the car.  Don't want to freeze my legs off.

Erika, I could be entirely wrong but somehow I think your brutal winter training conditions must lead to awesome spring marathons for you.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild  My guess is that Girl Scout cookies are good for you because they do not taste good enough to eat thereby saving you all the calories you might otherwise ingest.    Now if Girl Scouts sold pecan pies . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Happy Birthday Holly!  From the snow covered Florida runner.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

evanflein

Enke, I'd like to think so.

Byll, where are you?

The Girl Scout Thin Mints have been a standard feature at our house, and my parents' house, for years. I put them in the freezer, and I can eat just one or two and be happy with that. But my boys find them in the freezer and devour a whole box in an afternoon. And yeah, at $4 a box I'm not too delighted about that.

Gym workout at lunchtime: 15 minutes (1.71 miles) on the elliptical, 20 minutes of weights and abs. Seems like a long time since I've done a weight workout, but I guess I just missed last week. Still, I kept the weights at the same level but dropped to just two sets each to fit more stuff in. Nice tired arms and abs now. Pool run after work.

Renee the dog

3 recovery miles.  1 drink with some cherry concentrate, oj, and a hefty helping of rum. I love taper!!!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Kimmie

Kimmie, I see from peeking at your log that you ran a race on Saturday.  Ahem, where's your race report?  And it doesn't have to be a separate thread, you can mention it in the daily.

Thanks for asking... but,  I thought I did mention the race on Saturday.  I usually do write a small report, but this was a last minute, in the  middle of a long run, kind of race, not my goal at all.   Definitely fun, though, to see how I could do, within a 16 miler total.

And I will keep an eye out for someone called Ribs....  Smile

Re: Girl Scout cookies.  I don't even want to tell you guys how many boxes are in my house.  I have a Brownie and a Daisy Girl scout and my DH wanted to support them.  Smile   like Erika, I'm happy with just a couple at a time, but there are too many days of just a couple of cookies here and there.  If I get my mileage up this week, I should be burning all those cookie calories.

Today was a scheduled rest day and I took it.  Like Lou, I ran 0 miles but not infinitely fast.

evanflein

Hey, I just realized I'm only 60 miles behind that dratted 2,000 mile pace bunny! I may catch that rodent yet!!
                  SteveP

Hey, I just realized I'm only 60 miles behind that dratted 2,000 mile pace bunny! I may catch that rodent yet!!

Tag wants the bunny

SteveP

dg.

Hey Steve,  tell Tag that he can have whatever kind of snood he wants. I think I saw a pattern for one.  Tell him his batdad will make it for him.

Perch, thanks!  I'm so behind I don't even remember that I had a cold!

I started to post from work today..  so many days to get caught up on I had logjam along with brainmelt and CRS.  not a pretty sight.

So right now I really just am here to say welcome Kim!  congrats on your BQ! 

First Monday back and I celebrated by   . . . . . . (drumroll) . . . . . resting!  I actually did lots and lots o' AT stretching and a short walk with mom around her building, so not total rest, I suppose.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Last Wednesday, my work buddy, Denise, confessed that she'd eaten a whole sleeve of GS cookies (I don't remember what kind) for dinner the night before.  I had to give her the  look 'cause she's been complaining she needs to drop 15 pounds. 

My boss' daughter is selling those suckers at work.  Luckily, all the Thin  Mints are gone, and I only ate 2!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

Yea for Erika being that close to the 2000 mile pace bunny (I thought you would be further away than that, but very happy for you Dear)------I did something tonight I prolly shouldn't have done.....ran long again. But it was super nice out at 54 degrees - sunny - and light winds....I was giddy for a long run in shorts and sleeveless shirt -----12 easy peasy miles at 9:20 pace, and got home just when the sun was setting......had to look at that beautiful sight for a bit while I stretched out. Oh well......no harm no foul, and legs are tired but feel good -----Hope this doesn't mess up my MLR and track work Weds night.....it won't because I love those so much - TimBo - PS: Yes Erika I ate the paste (grins)

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Oh well, Tim. Sounds like a nice night. I might've done the same. Take it easy tomorrow and you should be fine for Wednesday.

30 minutes of pool running for me tonight. Felt good to be in the pool again, and it was a really quiet night in there so that's always nice. But wouldn't you know it... it was warm and relatively windless tonight. Seems like the weather is really nice during the week and turns to crap on the weekends. What's up with that, anyway??