Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 8.7.18 (Read 37 times)

4 on the trails

I almost didn't go running, my Left Ilium/gluteus medius was a little sore which means that I was favoring my Right achilles, so I thought about skipping a day. I did a slower run on the dirt instead; no worse afterwards. Now I have to make up an additional 3.2 miles to stay even. AND the life partner and I are going to have a play day tomorrow, so I may not get a chance to run! That means 4 10 mile days in a row starting Thursday.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

Mike, you are a really good son. So glad you're getting this time with your dad after all these years.

You know what I think is cool? Mike grew up with an absolutely terrible role model for a dad (and, apparently, a human being), and he's got to be one of the best dads I know of, and a caring, dedicated, empathetic person and all around good guy. Really makes you wonder about the whole "nature vs. nurture" tonight.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike, you are a really good son. So glad you're getting this time with your dad after all these years.

You know what I think is cool? Mike grew up with an absolutely terrible role model for a dad (and, apparently, a human being), and he's got to be one of the best dads I know of, and a caring, dedicated, empathetic person and all around good guy. Really makes you wonder about the whole "nature vs. nurture" tonight.

I wholeheartedly agree to all of this!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

KSA's post reminds of the days when you actually DIDN'T have your work email attached to you everywhere you went. I'm on the younger side of masters, but I do remember going to work and leaving for the day and that was it. Somebody covered you when you went on vacation. No Blackberry (later iPhone), no VPN's, no one called you on your cell phone when you're on 'vacation'... those were the days  

I worked in a hotel in the 80s thru the mid 90s. I had a week long back packing trip on tap and my boss panicked. "What if we need you?". I suggested smoke signals.  This last week, five people tried covering for me. There's still clean up.

Holly, you're a remarkable person. You'll power through this like you have everything else. You never have to go through withdrawls again, if you want.

I took a vow of poverty and became self employed. Setting my own schedule and not answering to anyone, or having to be fake-nice to superiors, more than makes up for not being filthy rich.

The only reason I'm not self employed is because I know my boss would be nuts. If you enjoy what you do, you may never get rich, but life is good. If you can't stand your career, no matter how much you make, you'll wonder if it's worth it.

So SteveP, what is this HR person doing that makes it so you don't get paid? Something really not right there... Maybe next time after you talk, write up a memo saying what you and she (as the company) agreed to and to let you know within a day if you got anything wrong.

In February, I attempted to use may carryover vacation time from 2017.It had to be used by March 1st or I'd loose it. She simply punched it in wrong and the carryover vanished and my accrued time for 2018 went into a negative. Corporate policy will not allow anyone to go over 40 hours in debt. We went around about for months until our manager left. He thought she was a golden child. I'm sure, in a company as large as ours, it's happened before and there's a simple solution and one phone call could have fixed it. She and the new manager worked out a scheme where my paycheck was padded over a period of time to compensate the time I wasn't paid. Personally, I don't like schemes because they cast a shadow over credibility and they bite someone in the butt. When I came back to a cluster and she dropped a bombshell that she made another mistake and I was going to loose 2 days, I went to instant, go for the throat hard ball. I wasn't going to walk out, however, I was putting my notice in without fixing a damn thing. I reminded her that i sat in her office and we hammered out the fine details and I trusted her. Within three minutes, she found a solution. The lady's brother is in the final stages of pancreatic caner. While I was off, he decided to refuse treatments and the HR person is taking it very hard. She's held things very tightly and has been respected throughout the district. If there is a next time, I'm going over her head in an instant.

MikeE. you're a helluva guy. What Erika said.

I got an urgent call from one of our suppliers before the work day began. They we sending a new driver and wanted me to give him "the treatment". What a greta way to start the day. He had a full semi load of interior doors. I've only encountered that once before. By the time he showed up I had channeled my inner Rainman with a twist. "The Wheels on the Bus" was replaying on the I-Phone. Every time the guy tried talking to me I was singing along with "The Wheels on the Bus". I was telling they guy we needed big boards and we didn't want doors. We debated a bit. I was singing "The doors on the bus open and close...open and close..open and close.." When he said, "I try to be a Christian man, but this is going to be a challenge".  I started cracking up and said, "I'm just kidding...Let's get you unloaded".

Just a normal day at work.

SteveP