Masters Running

Saturday! Saturday! 1.12.13 (Read 290 times)

SteveP

Some of the words people use here makes my head hurt.

Holy cripes Gordon, you're kicking with a vengeance.

Oh My Gosh Holly...scary about your mom. Love DD's exploits!

Tag and I picked up Honey and ran at the park between home and Hospice. Third sproinky run in three consecutive runs. We stopped for a pack of Wild Bill's Cherry Cream Soda. Last week, DW and I took my buddy some and he called because it was great and the staff wanted to know where to get it bottled. He's taking in 300 calories a day. If anyone can boost them by 30% with a soda pop, I'll do my best to keep him supplied.

SteveP

{{{TW and Pickles!}}}

Holly - My MIL is falling a lot, too.  Recently broke three ribs and bruised her lung.  Hers is a mix of doing almost nothing but sitting all day and reading and benign tremors.  She's is now using a walker for stability and suppose to be getting on meds for the tremors.  Keeping fingers crossed things get better.

I'M DONE!!!!!!!  After over 3 months of transcribing interviews re a homicide from back in 2008, I'M DONE!!!!!!  . . . now to go calculate the bill . . . .

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Bushrat Runner

The run ended up being run in fabulous conditions. The temperature rose to 48F, and as the wind developed it was at our back. But I did have a bit of traction trouble by the end. I have a box of sheet metal screws that are a bit too short. I usually put them in first, then when they pop out I replace them with the longer ones out of the other box. Well, they haven't been coming out this winter, so no replacing...until today. Of course they started going missing in earnest at about 6 miles...on a day when we ran almost 12...on wet glare ice...

So it was a little interesting at the end.

But that was okay because I worked too hard to keep up with Mo and Neal anyway, so I needed something that would reinforce the needed slow down...otherwise I might have completely bonked. Last mile was pretty rugged as it was.

Choco was out for a walk with one of our ministers that are staying with us, so he missed the entire event.

Amazing sky, but yesterday's lovely snow was long gone for the most part.

We were originally intending to drive all the way to Lake Camp and run back. But it was so slick the truck didn't feel like it was happy to stay on the road, and I was pretty sure if we tried to drive up the hill (Carolyn, don't snicker, we call it a hill...you either Erika...and Mariposai...) the truck would end up parked there and we'd be spending out time calling the tow guy. So we parked at the junction and ran out toward Lake Camp while the wind was still benign, then turned around and ran back right around the time it started getting nasty windy. And it was at our back. Definitely a good thing. And we stopped at the truck for a drink break before soldiering on down the road to home.

Does that look slick? It is...

Here is a retake of one of yesterday's photos...looks a little different. Amazing sky, too.

Another retake from yesterday. By this point the wind was blowing 30 and on the glare ice it was pretty exciting. I think I could have run on a virtual treadmill if I'd been trying to go the other way by then, as I was running short on shoe screws under the ball of my foot...

Happy runs all. Don't let the jet stream get you down.

SteveP

Those look like IRC Rhoon. Especially the hills. The skills developed go to a whole new level.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

. Third sproinky run in three consecutive runs.

We stopped for a pack of Wild Bill's Cherry Cream Soda. Last week, DW and I took my buddy some and he called because it was great and the staff wanted to know where to get it bottled. He's taking in 300 calories a day. If can boost them by 30% with a soda pop, I'll do my best to keep him supplied.

Nice running!  And you are a such a kind man, Steve.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Okay rhoon, I think I see why you put the x-c skis away.

How about ice skates?

I'm more imperssed though that you found someone to run with in those conditions. I  don't even think erika has ever even much seen another runner up there when it's that cold, let alone run wtih him/her. Not that I want to question her sanity too but was she one of your winter campers?.

The part of my yesterday’s dream about getting to run in the New Year’s New Year’s Takebashi Imperial Palace Marathon on Saturday 1/12/13 turned out to be true but the part about keeping all this year’s marathons under six hours missed the mark by one-hour twenty minutes.  However, I had the company of two ultra-runners who were practicing the same pace for an upcoming 250km and who were adding four 5K before-and-after laps to the eight-plus everyone else was running.

However, I had have a double weekend PR in the pasta category with salmon spaghetti with tarako sauce (Alaska pollock eggs) on Saturday and shrimp spaghetti with uni (sea urchin) sauce on Sunday. Unfortunately, it's gunna take more than a marathon to run it off this time.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)