Masters Running

Weds 1/21 Runs - Healing Vibes - and Friendship (Read 525 times)

King of PhotoShop

I've been really wanting a Garmin - but never thought I was a good enough runner to justify the cost. I'm currently using my Timex IronMan that only costs about $50.00. As someone who only runs 30-35 miles a week, would you say stick with the less expensive model?
    Being a "good enough runner" is not the reason to select a Garmin over your Timex marathon watch. For real runners, a Garmin is useful for calculating your miles when you don't know the distance, such as when you travel. I would argue that very good runners eschew the Garmin and its insignificant data in favor of a watch, with a split timer such as you have now. There are actually people here who run on a track and use a Garmin. (Read "rookies.") Save your money. Spareribs
      7 easy miles, then alternating handstand pushups and L pullups. Handstand pushups 15-13-11-9-7-5-3-1, L pullups 1-3-5-7-9-11-13-15.
      evanflein

Well the GPS function is the only reason to buy a Garmin over "just a watch" and since I like to know how far I run, and most of my runs are on bikepaths or trails that I can't really drive to get distance, it's important to me to have it. But the Garmin is also a very good timepiece, so can be used on a track for intervals not to measure the distance (duh), but to use the timing function. (I don't see any reason to own two timepieces...) It's also great if you want heart rate information. So, for all those nice little goodies rolled into one package, it's hard to beat. So of course, if all you care about is time, then by all means stick with a Timex. Nice little accidental 20 there, butterfly lady.

Prince of Fatness

I use the Garmin mostly as a recording device. It's nice to have the data after the fact. It's also nice to be able to explore new routes anytime I want. Sure, there are websites where you can map your run, but it could be difficult and time consuming, especially if you run on trails. I also use it when I want to do intervals. I don't have access to a track, so I programmed the workouts into the Garmin. For example, say I want to do 6 x 1000 with 90 second recoveries. I program that into the Garmin. After my warmup, I call up the workout. It will beep after every interval and recovery period. What I don't use it for is to monitor my pace. I run by effort and only have time and distance on my display. If you are running a real curvy route the pace could fluctuate on the display when your actual pace really isn't fluctuating. MTA: I also don't use the Garmin for races. There are too many "I ran a 5K but the Garmin said it was 3.4 miles" threads as it is. I have a Timex that I use for races.

Not at it at all. 

Hey Leslie - there wasn't any peanut butter in your DH's beer or Mexican food, was there?Tongue
            Cripes, I hope not! I ate the leftovers. Wink

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I love my Garmin because I can look at my route on a satellite view and save it to look at later! I have cool views from Maine, Texas, England, and South Africa now, and can't wait to add more places. What a cool toy! I also LOVE just taking off and running really wacky routes, like the little boy in "Family Circus" takes around his neighborhood, lol. It's so much more interesting that running in a straight line. I find that time passes much faster that way, too. Jlynne, I don't run as much as you, but I'm definitely glad I got the Garmin. It's made running more fun and I've learned a few things about pacing, too.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I heart my Garmin... but many of my runs I run routes premeasured with google earth or mapmyrun and just use the split manually (i.e stopwatch). On the track I use the splits manually, very nice. Of course the Garmin would say I ran a 6:30 pace when the 800m splt was 3:26 (it hates turns). I'm too anal to use the Garmin for speed intervals except as a timepiece. I can see the time on the Garmin much better than on my timex. For new routes nothing beats it...just run... what freedom. I even got lost in a forest in Germany by just running...but the Garmin has a retrace route feature... has your Timex ever saved you? I like importing the data to Motionbased to get really good elevation profiles or Sportstracks for nice satellite views an cool split charts. Oh yeah.... Geocaching with the Garmin...

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

MTA: I also don't use the Garmin for races. There are too many "I ran a 5K but the Garmin said it was 3.4 miles" threads as it is. I have a Timex that I use for races.
                  LOL! 1. Garmin does its best approximation based on which model it is. 2. Runner does its best approximation to course line that was certified. It's a good day if both nail it exactly.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Ack! How long do we have to wait to find out what fizzy lifting is? Angry I'm with Meg on this one. And I'm tickled to find out what buffleheads are....the're awfully cute, enke!
                    evanflein

I know... fizzy lifting has befuddled me for weeks now. I ran outside today, even though I was sooooo tempted to come home and hop on the treadmill. But I packed up all my stuff and even remembered my socks, so I figured I'd better put it to good use. 8.3 miles, temps from -4 to -11 (average -8?), got super frosty but stayed pretty warm... except for that .8 mile part due north into the wind. A little slower than last week (avg pace 8:48), but pretty evenly paced miles and no falls.