Masters Running

Recipe of the Week - let's do Slow Cooker Recipes (Read 1467 times)

So many greta ideas.  I think I will just print this thread out and keep handy.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

With its 280 calories per serving you can splurge an extra glass of Melbec or a piece of blackberries pie.

Mariposai - how big is a serving size?  And what is a tomatilla?  (slinking off to Google...)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Preparation

.......and simmer for 10".  

Mariposai - is this 10 minutes?  Or 10 hours in a slow cooker?  Do you suppose I could just dump it all into the slow cooker in the morning and cook all day?  This sounds so good, I want to try it soon!

Jlynne - Mariposai's Portuguese pot roast recipe is on page one of this thread.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks, Holly. I've got a couple to share as well.

Forgotten Minestrone Soup:

1 Lb beef stewing meet

6 Cups water

28-oz can tomatoes, diced, undrained

1 beef bouillon cube

1 medium onion, chopped

2 tbsp minced dried parsley

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp dried thyme

1/2 tsp pepper

1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced

2 cups finely chopped cabbage

one 16-oz can garbanzo beans, drained

1 cup uncooked small elbow or shell macaroni

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1.  Combine beef, water, tomatoes, bouillon, onion, parsley, sale, thyme and pepper

2.  Cover. Cook on Low 7-9 hours or until meat is tender

3.  Stir in zucchini, cabbage, beans and macaroni. Cover and cook on High 30-45 minutes or until veggies are

tender

4. Sprinkle individual servings with Parmesan cheese and serve with warm bread

This is the recipe for the potato soup I made yesterday. You don't make it in a crock pot, but it's really fast, and really delicious:

Maloney's Creamy Potato Soup

4 cups chicken broth

2 celery stalks, finely chopped

2 cups chopped onion

1 leek, finely chopped (optional)

1 chicken boullion cube

3-4 cups cubed potatoes

4 tbsp butter (use the real thing - it's SOOOO much better)

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp white pepper

2 cups milk

In a saucepan, combine the chicken broth, chopped onion, celery and leek, if using, and simmer at least 30 minutes or until onions and celery are tender.

While the above is cooking, cube potatoes into small pieces. When onions and celery are soft, add the potatoes and cook another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. When they are completely cooked, mash about half the potatoes with a potato masher right in the pan.

In another pan while the potatoes are cooking, melt four tablespoons of butter. Mix together flour, salt and white pepper. Add this to the melted butter and stir until well mixed.

Slowly add the milk and whisk it until it thickens and bubbles. Add this to the potato mixture. Serve with crumbled bacon, shredded cheese and parsley.

HermosaBoy

Chicken Chili

Made this last night and it came out pretty good...

This chicken chili is loaded with flavor, and it makes a great fall or winter meal with cornbread or biscuits.

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
            • 2 boneless chicken breast halves, diced
            • 12 to 16 ounces chicken sausage, such as chicken apple sausage or chicken other smoked chicken or turkey sausage
            • 1 cup chopped onion
            • 4 cloves garlic, minced
            • 2 cans (about 16 ounces each) Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
            • 1 1/2 cups tomatillo salsa
            • 1 cup chicken broth
            • 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice, fire-roasted, chili-style, or plain
            • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
            • 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno peppers, or mild chile peppers
            • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
            • 1/2 teaspoon salt
            • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
            • Dash cayenne pepper, optional

Preparation:

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, diced chicken, and sliced sausage; sauté until onions are tender and chicken is cooked through. Put the drained beans in a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker; add the skillet mixture and all remaining ingredients except cilantro. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.
            Serves 6.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Festive Roast

In the morning, take a crock pot and place in a beef or pork roast. You like a lot of roast, use a lot of meat. You like chicken, use chicken. Add one large jar of salsa. You like it spicy, use hot salsa. You like it mild, use mild salsa. Put a can of corn in. This is not an option. It adds a festive look and the author is not changing the name at this point. You like garbanzo beans? Add garbanzo beans. You like leeks? Take a leek and put it in your roast. You like potatoes? Add potatoes. Same with carrots. Green peppers add a nice flavor and adds color. You say you’re not sure about peas? All we are saying is give peas a chance. Make sure the crock pot is plugged in. Turn it on low and forget about it. Go to work. Come home. Enjoy. Tell your spouse how difficult it was and guilt them into cleaning up the kitchen.

No corn in the house, and it was during a blizzard, so I used chicken, salsa, and black beans and am serving it with some leftover pasta.  I guess I'm not allowed to call it "Festive," but, boy howdy, is it yummy!  Thanks for the idea, Steve!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Dave59

Here's a slow cooker one.

Mariposai

Mariposai - is this 10 minutes?  Or 10 hours in a slow cooker?  Do you suppose I could just dump it all into the slow cooker in the morning and cook all day?  This sounds so good, I want to try it soon!

Jlynne - Mariposai's Portuguese pot roast recipe is on page one of this thread.

sorry Holly, I did not see this.

It is simmering for 10 minutes. No need to dump it all into a slow cooker. You can cook your lentils the night before. Next day do the rest.

Tomatillos? you can find in any grocery store. They have a delightful flavor.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/tomatillos.htm

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I really only make pot roast in the crock pot.  Has anyone tried split pea soup in it?  I'm wanting some real bad.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Yes!  I use to do it about once a week. Run some water over the peas to clean.  Put in the split peas, dried or chopped fresh onions, most any spices you like - maybe some garlic, and if you like,. a small ham hock or bacon is great, but not needed.   Other chopped veges work.  Use about twice the amount of water or broth.  Let 'er cook in the crock pot.  Will be ready for lunch if you turn it on in the AM.  No need to soak over night, but can be cooked over night on low.  Add more water/broth, or veges later on.  Lentils work as well.  Yum!  

Reviewed a recipe for crock pot ribs but then didn't have it handy so I did it from memory and experimentation:

Slice an onion and put it in the bottom of the crock pot

Add a fresh garlic clove sliced thinly or pressed (I usually press it but was in a hurry so didn't have time to clean the press)

Add a dash or two of sea salt and about a teaspoon of pepper

Add a tablespoon or two of reduced sodium soy sauce

Add a small package of country style ribs

Add some water

Cover the ribs completely with BBQ sauce

Cook on low all day

It was delicious!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

I like to make taco soup in the crockpot:

1 pound of burger, browned (2 chicken breasts will work in lieu of red meat)

1 cup of salsa

bag of frozen corn

packet of taco seasoning - your choice

packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (the powered stuff)

2 cans of southwest style beans

1 can of Rotel (or any diced tomatoes with chile peppers)

Throw it all in the pot and cook all day.

Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese and corn chips

I made this last night based on this recipe. I cut the amount of corn in half and added just a half bag though.

I would call it more of a Chili as opposed to "taco soup" though.

I usually don't cook,but it turned out great.! My family and I ate the whole pot last night.