Masters Running

Welcome to December! 12.1.17 (Read 41 times)

pfriese

Hi y'all.

After a couple of rest days with no running I had a great 6.2 mile run through the park. Beautiful weather for running, however the walkers were all bundled up. They better get ready cold air supposedly coming in a few days.

None of my kids are very active now. But, since I didn't start running until I was almost 48, I guess there is still time. Loved the Yiddish, Tramps. I'll have to show it to eldest DD. She learned a bit of it from her in-laws. That is good news about your daughter, RunnerKSA.

Paul

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi y'all.

After a couple of rest days with no running I had a great 6.2 mile run through the park. Beautiful weather for running, however the walkers were all bundled up. They better get ready cold air supposedly coming in a few days.

That always amazes me on my lake circuits while in shorts and seeing folks in full winter gear.  What will they do when it actually gets cold?  Historic answer seems to be "stay inside".

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

That always amazes me on my lake circuits while in shorts and seeing folks in full winter gear.  What will they do when it actually gets cold?  Historic answer seems to be "stay inside".

often I'm one of those who wears long pants while others are in shorts because my legs get cold - or because i don't check the temps (like today).  this summer, there were a lot of women in long pants when it was in the 90's - that i don't understand.

evanflein

Although it’s improving since I attend a once monthly Yiddish conversation group.

And somehow this makes me smile to know that this is really a thing. Very cool.

And yes, I agree with Tramps on the let's not stifle a fantastic sense of humor. And may I add that I love SB's reference to the spouse as the life accomplice. I may steal that.

Holly, the true answer is you shouldn't. But your boss has you as salaried just to avoid paying OT, he doesn't really mean it and it wouldn't hold up in a DOL hearing. I've said it before and will again. You should not be an exempt, salaried employee. 

And while I'm on it, let's make sure we understand that a HIPPO is a big critter with a big mouth that loves hanging around in pools of water. HIPAA is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. You can't really combine the two to make HIPPA. Seeing the law referred to as HIPPA is a professional pet peeve of mine, can you tell? But yes, Deez, Tet had a good idea. Health Care Power of Attorney might not be a bad idea, either.

Have fun, Jay! We'll miss you. It's not quite Rock/Paper/Scissors, but close.

Glad to hear RunnerKSA's daughter got the job and can stay in Nashvegas (heh, C-R!).

Congrats on Tribee's retirement, Tramps! Nice that she has a contract gig. I'd be sore pressed to do that, when I'm done I'm so done.

JLynne, this year's goal was 200 miles per month, all year. PF in February before the Phoenix Marathon dashed that plan, and for March as well with recovery. But managed it for 6 months until October hit, and November was worse. December will probably be more of the same, BUT I will hit my (twice reduced) annual goal of 2,000 miles this week, and pretty sure I'll be over 2,100 by end of the year but maybe not by much. What do the Cubs fans say, there's always next year? Or is that the Sox... I forget. 

So the weatherman is once again teasing us with a promise of warmer temps, and it might actually happen this time! It's 8° above right now, which is better than yesterday's 8° below temp at this time, and we could see teens this weekend and maybe 20's next week! Woot! Although, of course we'll get more snow, which we really don't need. We'll be spending a good part of tomorrow clearing the packed down and accumulated snow piles from in front of the garage and top of the driveway. But I will get some running in outside! I think I've only had one treadmill run this week, so that's a nice change. Will head out for a few miles this afternoon, hopefully before it gets dark.

Erika - you're right,  if we r going to use an acronym I guess it should be HIPAA - but I always want to make accountability privacy instead. As far as a Health Care Proxy - that only appoints someone to make decisions for you if you are unable

to make them for yourself which technically would be the case when he is in a psychotic state. The problem is by the time he goes in the hospital he is not able to do that and when he's on his meds he still gets defensive and says he doesn't need it. We've tried - it's a losing battle with him. Usually what happens is the hospital will file a petition to keep him hospitalized and he will eventually give permission for them to talk with me.

Tried something different for the DGAFAOTH challenge - woke up at my regular time, put on running clothes and scooted out the door. Leaving that much earlier kept me ahead of the traffic. Parked at my Fenway garage and slowly ran the 1.1 mile to work then showered there!! I was actually early enough to run another mile, but I had no desire especially with my backpack on!!

Happy Friday!!

denise

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 at lunch, part way into my evening run I felt a tweak in my calf, cut it short at 3 and change.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

8.7 @ 8:07. How's THAT for symmetry? 

Thanks for the thoughts on motivating the kids, but if I had much hair I wouldn't be pulling it out over their lack of interest in fortifying their mortal shells. I gave up on that a few years ago. Their mother is very permissive, so any attempts to run a token economy via internet access would never get off the ground. They're good kids, never any problems with school, no incidents with booze, drugs, theft, fights or any of the other things that seem to be all too common these days. There has never even been many loud verbal arguments, back-talking or other symptoms of teen angst. They voice their complaints or needs with rational discussions rather than emotional outbursts. We're really lucky, actually. If they have no interest in physical activity, I'm not going to force them into it. Unless they start getting obese. The boy is skinny at 5'9, the girl is normal at 6'1 (their Dad is 6'7+). I still think they'll discover some activity they like when they are adults. I've been running since I was 12. How many of YOU only started in your 20's, 30's, or later?

More importantly; it was in the lower 60's when I went running this evening, and a slight breeze. The last few days the Bay has been almost glassy, but there were some ripples tonight. I guess the weather is turning.

Stumpy; I know what you mean! It's not even cold here and I see people bundled up in hoodies and wearing gloves running on the Bay Trail! And it's 60-65 degrees!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Oh! I DO have an "internet kill switch" at my bedside. After being woken up at 02:00 a few times, on school nights, by loud youtube/gaming/movies. I run the power cord to the router through a switch by our bed. If I wake up, CLICK! no more internet until morning. It only took a couple times.

bioguy

Hi

Late post for me tonight. Did 7.2 after work. Much better week at school, I think I'm finally getting my really tough group where I want them.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, another quick post.  Drill weekend, so that takes a fair amount of time.  In my military career I've spent 9 years active duty, 16 years as a traditional reservist (one weekend a month/two weeks a year), 2 years as an Individual Mobilization Augmentee (in short, I was a back stop to an active duty officer--if he/she were deployed I would be mobilized to backfill) and now 2 years as a "full-time reservist" or Air Reserve Technician.  So I've got a pretty broad perspective on my different folks (I have active duty, traditional reservist and ARTs under my command) and each "group" (and of course each individual) have different requirements.  The pre-work is well worth it.  We do get comments back from combatant commanders about how much they enjoyed having our folks there.  Anyway, short easy run yesterday.  This morning I did 5+ miles about an 8:30 average pre sunup.  Then joined my operations counterpart for his run (and 400m intervals) for another 5.5.  I intend to PT test tomorrow (Opus, it's at 0900 with run portion closer to 1000) with our group holiday party at lunch.  I made a "fake bake" lasagna, one of squadron commanders is making a large pot of gumbo....glad it's for after I test!

Opus, I did speak with MG J this week (she asked me to call about a different subject).  She's pretty awesome.  Anyway, the first domino is about to fall which opens the slot in TX.  She asked (seriously, that's one part of the reserves I really struggle with--way more used to the functional boss telling me what would happen next) me to please update my federal resume and to put in for the position when it opens (she thought in early January).  IF the 10AF commander selects me (MG J can recommend, but he's the hiring official) then I'm not sure when I'd leave--could be early if they need the spot filled, they'd send me on orders and the civil service stuff would follow later.  BTW, 10AF is where the reserves have all their CAF units/assets--so I'll have some functional responsibility for the 414th here.

Deez, wow.  My oldest brother is bipolar and fortunately has a wonderful wife who has stayed with him through all the ups and downs (I don't think anything like what you are dealing with).  Y'all will be in my prayers and certainly vent as you need it.

Need to get to bed.  Have a great night everyone!

evanflein

Oh! I DO have an "internet kill switch" at my bedside. After being woken up at 02:00 a few times, on school nights, by loud youtube/gaming/movies. I run the power cord to the router through a switch by our bed. If I wake up, CLICK! no more internet until morning. It only took a couple times.

Man, I sure wish I'd had something like that when my kids were still at home! That would've been handy. As it is, router was always in one of their rooms so a little problematic. Now it's a guest bedroom full of "stuff" so not a problem.

5.4 miles tonight, temps were something like 8-10° and wow did that ever feel better. Still got icy eyelashes, which I think is as much a function of humidity (or lack thereof) as temperature. Anyway, a pretty good run and good way to start off December.

wildchild

Carolyn

What an excellent idea!

Erika, bummer about your cold temperatures. It's been really warm here this week, and I don't live on the bay like Surly Bill - I live in the freaking Rocky Mountains!  Today I ran 10 trail miles with part of my usual Friday group, and I was in shorts and tee shirt.  I'm certainly not complaining, though!

This afternoon I had a dentist appt to check out a wisdom tooth that's been bugging me lately - well, they said it was in bad shape, so they pulled it out!  So I guess I have to skip tomorrow morning's 5 mile race with the Colorado masters running group, but I don't really mind because it's pretty far from home, and it doesn't really seem worth driving for an hour for a 5 mile race.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

...guys//......Thanks for all the Suggestions.....

.......but it's the ''Pants and Underwear'' part that's stopping me,

I can't reach down

to put them on without danger of dislocating the Hip....not to mention that ''Mesh'' in Men's SwimmingTrunks

and,

No, I'm not gonna wear a Mu-Mu

This made me laugh out loud!  As I was reading folks shoe recommendations, I knew Tom had been talking about clothing issues.  Too funny!! 

Deez - I can only add my sympathies and prayers.  I can't even begin to imagine what you all are going through or the struggles of your son.

We're supposed to end each month on a prime number??

SB - I may have to recommend that "Kill" switch to family and friends.

Holly - Your work situation always sound hinky to me.  If we work over our regular salaried hours, we get paid or we get comp time, our choice.

I took a mental health day today, as well.  I was in a horrible mood after yet another night of crap sleep.  Went in at 7:30 to finalize something for an appt today, then left.  I ended up going out to Headwaters and running my 3 miles in the peace and quiet and attained the attitude adjustment I needed.  Tomorrow I'll be running 4 with a woman I've never met before who's looking to run with someone slower.  That's me! We'll see how it goes ~~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Regarding "Internet Kill Switch";

When I first set that up, I had it on a timer, those dial ones that turn your lights on and off when you're on a trip. However, the life accomplice would sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and want to get online, so that didn't work out.

My router is mounted on the opposite side of the wall from our room, so I just drilled a hole through the sheetrock and power it from the outlet behind our headboard. The fun part is the kids still don't KNOW I can turn it off, and our service cuts out every once in a while for some unknown reason, so they just think it's one of those times and give up and go to sleep after a while.

wildchild; I lived in Fairplay CO for a few years. I know cold.

^^^ I’ve been through FairPlay a bunch!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth