Masters Running

first run since Nov 11! (Read 30 times)

sluggo

John

I've been sidelined with a disappointing knee. New orthotics, new shoes, run short, slow, and walk sometimes. I felt OK, not great still some twinges.

I plan to start with twice a week, short runs, lots of squats and stretching, and see how I do. It will be nice to run 15 to 20 mi per week again.

John
    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Tramps

Good for you. I hope it keeps improving.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I've been sidelined with a disappointing knee. New orthotics, new shoes, run short, slow, and walk sometimes. I felt OK, not great still some twinges.

I plan to start with twice a week, short runs, lots of squats and stretching, and see how I do. It will be nice to run 15 to 20 mi per week again.

I don't know about the shoes part but, at least for aging knees, there's nothing wrong with shortened strides and running slower, . . . unless you don't like last place every once-in-a-while, e.g. yesterday for me in a 50K I didn't even finish so got demoted to the 20-mile category..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Glad to hear you are up and running again!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice to hear, sluggo!
            Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Just run run run as much as it is fun fun fun. Then have ice cream and a stick.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

evanflein

That first run after an injury is a mix of emotions... happy to be back out there, afraid you might re-injure yourself, concerned you might not be ready, annoyed at how slow you are. Relax, and enjoy. Sounds like you've done a lot to get better and are going about it the right way. Good for you on the squats, it's so important to strengthen the muscles that support the knee.

...enjoy every minute of it.............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

...enjoy every minute of it.............

yes!!! Enjoy every minute of it.

Glad to hear that you are back at running. Keep us posted on your progress.

BTW< don't be shy to post on the daily thread, running or not...we just enjoy reading what is everyone up to, the running is just the excuse that bind us all.

Mariposai

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

sluggo, I'm glad to hear you're getting back to running.  Don't push the recovery rate too much.  I hope you can get back to a place that you can enjoy.

TomS