Masters Running

Sunday Daily, 12.2.12 (Read 401 times)

CNYrunner wow if you are 24th in your AG that is one tough field!

coastwalker glad the vegetables turned out well.  I just made a batch for lunch.  Yum!

Mariposai way to embrace the dead!  Next time avoid having the zombies catch you! Big grin

tetsujin209 you know what I am looking forward to?  Seeing who produces the more frigid running reports:  evanflein or rhoon phast.  Brrrr . . .

More gym work today as I am swearing off any exercise that uses my ankle until next week.  My DW did a few miles on the TM. 

<Amazing Race Spoiler Alert> In non-exercise related news my DW and I generally watch shows long after we have recorded them.  At long last, we finally caught up with this season's Amazing Race.  There is one team Abby and Ryan that we have long been routing to see eliminated.  In the first round these two creeps asked for and received help from the then first place team on where to go to get to the finish line.  The team that helped them included a woman doing the race with a prosthetic leg.  Needless to say, running with heavy backpack on a prosthetic is not easy.  So did any of this stop Abby and Ryan from sprinting to the finish to beat out by seconds the team that had recently helped them?  Nope!  Since then my DW and I have been hoping to see them go.  Well they finally did!  In the last couple of intercity rounds Abby and Ryan have been struck by one airport delay after another.  My DW quipped that the bad karma from what they did in the first round finally caught them.  Then to top it all off Abby and Ryan managed one last trick of amazing cognitive dissonance.  Part of the reason they were eliminated is that another team "U-Turned" them.  Basically, slowed them down via a gimmick the show provides teams on occasion.  What were Abby and Ryan mad about?  That their friends had U-Turned them.  How is that for being able to separate your own behavior from that of others?  In any case, I thought all of these calamities could not happen to a nicer couple. <End Spoiler>

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Twocat, in reference to the winter race series.  There are actually two of them in my area.  The coldest one I ran was at about 3° and windy.  There was one the RD wanted to cancel because of ice but someone had driven 70-80 miles to race and didn't want the trip to be for nothing so the RD relented.  Some others have been cold, windy, icy, and snowy.  There's a good group that always shows up so I'm always glad I went - after it's done.

runrnut, nice 5K.  C-R, sorry about your DNF.  I have confidence you'll be back at the next one in fine shape and have a great marathon.  CNY, it sounds like your race was great, raising so much for charity and both you and your son running well.

Nice long runs for rhoon, Slo, and marj.

This morning, I woke to unseasonably warm temps in the high 40s.  Unfortunately, it was raining and I didn't feel tough so did 3 miles on the TM at a 9:48 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tramps - Very sorry to hear about Koko, but she obviously was very loved and had a good life.  Those little 4-legged furry creatures - they just steal your heart, don't they.  RIP, Koko.

2Kitty - Yes, I got in to Mt. Hood 50 Big grin I'm so glad I made a note to myself - and Shorty reminded me as soon as I got up - 'cause registration opened at 6:00 Pacific time and filled in 5:46.  Dang!  Am hoping I improve on this year's time of 12:13:41.  We'll see . . . .

Yesterday it was 13 soaking wet miles with my running buddy, Karen, in the Arcata Community Forest.  First time we've had a chance to run together in quite awhile.  Lots of climbing and descending.

Okay - Off to do some transcription before my dad gets here for dinner ~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I just got back from my run.  It was foggy and 38o.  I like running in the fog, for some reason.  I started out a little faster than I had planned and I decided to just have fun and enjoy the run.  12.3 miles in 1:25:20.  That was fun!

Okay--I gotta go get in the shower.  See ya!

SteveP

Ribs, your Saturday 5K sounds like my version of heaven. I've never been hit by a car on a trail, tripped over a root on the roads nor been attacked by an animal on a treadmill. I've gotten lost on all three.

Tramps, you and TriBee have good hearts.

JLynne, our neighbor told us we could cut one of his trees down for Christmas this year. How long would it take to float across Lake Michigan? Finally met the man after nearly 12 years. We've talked on the phone several times. 

Holy Carp Norm. Sorry man. I'm glad some of us are smart.

BerthaSlayer, you never know when you'll be the motivation for some one else.

MikeE. Running in the fog rocks!!!

Avenger Doggie and I hit the trails for a couple of miles. Our first run in weeks..Maybe a month. My back started it's nonsense about 1/2 way through. When we got back, I hung on a "Power Tower" and stretched it into place by bringing my knees up to alternating elbows. It's weird to feel things shift back into place.

SteveP

CNYrunner wow if you are 24th in your AG that is one tough field!

Not 24th in my age group---24th OVERALL when age grading is applied:  http://www.coolrunning.com/results/12/ma/Dec2_9thAnn_set2.shtml

Can't get the link to work....hmmmm. If there had been a 40-49 age group I would have been 2nd by 30 seconds.

At this point in my life, my running goals are more about staying uninjured, having fun, meeting RA folks, trying new things and the like, BUT....I do

love to race and it's fun to win every now and then or place well. It doesn't matter to anyone and it's just a way to challenge myself. If ever you want a boost though, just plug your race into the age graded tables: http://www.heartbreakhill.org/age_graded.htm

Not sure I'd ever do an amazing race though. yowsa.

Went out for a shake-out jog with Hudson with our matching reflective vests and headlamps (well, his is on his collar).

Marathon Maniac #957

My "issues" aren't with how I look.

Me, neither, I just feel strangely shy when I am running in the regular light of day when people are out and about.  Don't really know why. But everyone looks at you....just makes me feel shy is all.....

CNY - nice racing!

Ribs, you are so right.  Wish I had trails I didn't have to drive to.

C-R - sounds like you made the right decision.  Don't sweat it.

10 slow and gentle miles for me this morning in a light rain and 53 degrees.  I don't normally like running in the rain, but couldn't resist the 53 degrees, as a cold front will be moving in tomorrow and nipping this wam spell in the bud.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I work 3rd shift all week long,come home from work Sat. AM,then stay up all day Sat. so that I can sleep Sat. at night with DW. Confusing,but if you've ever worked 3rd shift I'm sure you can relate.

Anyway, I watch the Wisconsin Badgers put the beatdown on Nebraska last night (Sat.) but started nodding off during the 3rd quarter. So I go to bed about 10PM (mind you I've been up for 30 hours strait at this time). I sleep for 3 hours and DW wakes me at 1 AM to "talk".  Sunday I need to get up at 4:30 AM to go back to work by 6AM. Sooo....here I sit,no time to run Saturday OR today,and I've had 3 hours sleep since I woke Friday afternoon at 4 PM. 

Complaining? No. But this is why my running miles are so erratic month to month or even week to week. What I wouldn't give to work a job with "normal " hours. This is how my weekends always are. Besides who can complain when the Packers won,and the Bears lost. So far a perfect day!!

Monday is my long run day in the AM. Great weather here the past few days,so I hope to catch a good 8 hours sleep tonight and do at least 10 easy miles tomorrow AM before the sun comes up.

evanflein

Smart decision, C-R, but still, I know how that DNF hurts.

Thanks for the age grading link, CNYrunner. Just for fun (and nostalgia) I plugged in my Newport Marathon PR and got just over 74%. Too bad I've got nothing real impressive (to me) since then.

Nice to see SteveP!

8.2 miles on the treadmill today with some old editions of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me... The only problem is when you're running along at 8:20 on the 'mill, and start laughing at that show... woops. But that run gives me 41.5 miles for the week! My first 40+ mile week since the first week in November when I was in Seattle.

Mike E

MM #5615

Besides who can complain when the Packers won 

ME!

wildchild

Carolyn

Ribs, I don't understand how anyone could not like trail running!  I know it's challenging and hard work, but just being out in the woods or desert or grasslands or wherever is good for the soul!  I realize I'm extremely lucky to have some gorgeous trails to run where I live.  Are trails in TX ugly and boring? Couldn't be any worse than paved paths!

I ran 15 miles today in Golden Gate Canyon State Park - it was IRC at 50F, and nice to wear shorts in December!  I checked my log, and this is the longest run I've done at high altitude (defined as over 8,000 ft) since the marathon in Buena Vista in mid-September.  No wonder I'm tired!

Karin, congrats on beating the kiddo at your race today!  Smile

BerthaSlayer, I agree with SteveP - you could be inspiring others to get out and run!   You too, Holly!  Other runners probably just see you and wish they were running, and non-runners don't pay much attention.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

How about twocat trying to dis CNY with the age group thing!  Ha!

Trails?  To each his own.  Sans Souci worked me over on Facebook as did another friend who knows I hate them. I wrote:

Thank you so much (real names omitted) and all you other hateful, dirty-clad, eat raw broccoli out of a cardboard box, washcloth off in the back of a van and sleep on an air mattress loser trail runners. So kind of you to support me. I will get even with all of you one day. I never forget!!

Wild, I know the trails are fun for some and certainly make you work hard and build strength, but I've been a road racer all my life and this is hard to get used to.   Spareribs

Mariposai

2Kitty - Yes, I got in to Mt. Hood 50 Big grin I'm so glad I made a note to myself - and Shorty reminded me as soon as I got up - 'cause registration opened at 6:00 Pacific time and filled in 5:46.  Dang!  Am hoping I improve on this year's time of 12:13:41.  We'll see . . . .

Great news! You will do great!

Well, after our brunch I finally decided to go out for a run. It was 56F, sunny and yes Tramps, I was wearing shorts! 7 miles conquering Kermel grade.  It is funny how my once nemesis hill has become now my favorite relaxing place to run. 

Time to cook dinner now, then I hope to be able to come back here to catch up!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

lamerunner

Hey there. Nice racing Karin, and that age grading is cool.., glad the kiddo had fun too!   I would love to run with you in Manchester or nearby...!

First full weekend up north, and a mixed bag.  Cold snowy day Saturday. I got up and ran 6   then skiied the morning. DD working patrol and DS ski training. Fun to see them both at the mountain. Dh birthday today, so we went out to dinner as a family; that was fun.  Nice to be all together.

Snow/ice overnight and the mountain decided not to open today... DS very disappointed. The kids hung out together though, and we did a little walk in North Conway. i also did a little run, another 6, very icy on the hill but then ok.  A couple of mild days then colder air, thankfully...

Tramps sorry about the pup. Our cats all old so we will deal with this soon...

Happy running!..

Thank you so much (real names omitted) and all you other hateful, dirty-clad, eat raw broccoli out of a cardboard box, washcloth off in the back of a van and sleep on an air mattress loser trail runners. So kind of you to support me. I will get even with all of you one day. I never forget!!

Road snob!

Come on, Carolyn.  Let's go run some trails and forget about Ribs.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance