Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 3/9/08 (Read 720 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for those who are over 40 years old who run or aspire to run 40 miles/week. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard... Here's the tally from last week. Let me know if I got anything wrong, or missed anyone.
    WhoMilesCommentary
    Twocat74.23 Yowza – lots of miles – but the longest run over with now.
    CNYrunner72.2 Lots of miles and a 22-fast-finish LR to cap it off.
    Btb149065 Lots of miles, in spite of a sinus infection.
    Hermosaboy62.7 With mucho doubles.
    Holly56.5 Blah, blah...
    Breger56.45 Solid running and a nice progression LR .
    Jim2431556 Lots of grass miles.
    Perch55.7 Including an amazing relay!
    Wa5yom55 Taking it easy is paying off with healing shinsplints.
    PeterNC50.220 mile jump this week, nice running!
    Carnivirus50 With lots of trail running.
    Predawnrunner50 With an excellent progression LR to top off the week.
    Pfriese48.8 With a 10K PR!
    PJH48.7 Great HM this week!
    Evenflein47.35 Including an amazing relay!
    Tramps42.7 Solid running and core work.
    Slojim41.25 X-training with racquetball.
    Biketm40.2 Made it, even with some sick days.
    Ultrachick40 Skiing, frostbitten toes, and still running 40 miles!
    SirWalksalot Free Pass Big grin
    Here's my plan for the week. Now that we're in March, I'd like to keep the mileage about the same, but begin upping the intensity, with lots more MP miles. And, like CNYrunner, I'm aiming at getting more nutritious, less junk, more bang for my food buck.
    DayPlanActualCommentary
    Monday0 miles0 miles Weights and abs
    Tuesday8-11 miles 10 miles 1@8:25, (3 min 8:20/1 min 9:40) x 5
    Wednesday7 miles 7.55 miles Easy pace
    Thursday8-11 miles 11.05 miles Hill workout and 1 tempo mile
    Friday0 miles8.1 miles Weather caused me to switch days
    Saturday7 miles 0 miles Abs/Core and upper body weights
    Sunday12-15 miles 14.5 miles easy-paced
    Total42-51 51.2 miles

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

This will be a lower mileage week only because I'll be leaving for a ski vacation on Saturday and will not get in a Long Run on the weekend. However, the rest of the week should be fairly high-quality.
      DayPlanActualComments
      MondayPlanned Rest Day0 miles
      Tuesday6 miles easy6.05 milesEasy 9:55 min/mile pace
      Wednesday12 miles, 8 x 4 mins. Moderate pace. 2 Mins. between11.98:02, 7:54, 7:59, 7:52, 7:52, 7:54, 7:49, and 7:44.
      Thursday6 miles recovery6 milesRecovery 9:56 min/mile pace
      Friday14 miles14 milesPfitz-style Progression
      Saturday0 milesTravel Day
      Sunday6 miles easy6 milesTreadmill
      Totals:44 miles44.0 miles
      Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Thanks Holly. Hitting my 40-mile quota is keeping me (barely) ahead of that pace bunny. Wink M--6.6 easy miles @ 8:52 T W Th F S S = ~40

Be safe. Be kind.

btb1490

Holly, thanks for the time and thought that goes into this thread. It is muchly appreciated! Smile Keep up the awesome work everyone! Stepback week here, just in time. I'm tired! The week ends with a 15k goal race to see how I stand with my fitness.
          DayPlanActualCommentary
          Monday5 ez5 eznice run on nice trails on a nice day
          Tuesday Offstrength trainingcore work and yoga
          Wednesday8 ez8 ezfelt good
          Thursday9 w/ 6@MPdone2x3mi@MP (6:47, 6:44) felt good
          Friday6 ezdonejust enjoyed being out there
          Saturday15k racecalling it 12 miles with w/u and c/d1:02:04
          Sunday6 ez4.5 ez
          Total4545still standing thank goodness
          evanflein

Back from the relay... gotta figure out how to pick up the marathon training thing...looks like the schedule wants a step back week. Even though I didn't get that 20 in last Sunday, I think a step back is a good idea...
            Day Plan Actual Comments
            Monday XT Day0 milesProlly just rest/recover from relay
            Tuesday5 EZ6.5 Miles32F, plowed bikepath... couldn't resist 4 miles at tempo pace! Whee!
            Wednesday8 miles w/4@MP9 milesMost at 8:3x pace, miles 2 and 6 at 8:00 m/m (HM pace)
            Thursday5 miles5 milesI was good and stayed right on plan, EZ pace overall
            FridayRest Day0 milesBut I did walk the dog...
            Saturday8 miles9 milesHills and some tempo HM pace miles
            Sunday12 miles16 milesOverall pace 8:38... good run overall, even with the colder-than-expected temps and wind! Also walked a mile...and painted kitchen/dining/laundry room in our apartment
            Totals:38 Miles45.5 miles actual running total
            PJH

Plan and actuals for the week ... start to build in some speedwork and longer runs
              DayPlanActualCommentary
              Monday7.07.1Recovery run @9:56mpm ...70 mins
              Tuesday8.09.13.0 mi/23.36 mins @tempo pace 7:52
              Wednesday9-100Forced rest day - snowed out; treadmill broke down
              Thursday8.09.03.2 mi/25 mins@tempo pace 7:57
              Friday00Planned rest day
              Saturday15.015.0Snow! ...indoor at the Y ...2:30 @ ez pace
              Sunday5.06.0EZ pace @9:54 ... 60 mins
              Total53.046.2
              Didn't quite meet my goal for the week, but all runs were quality ones. PJ
                Thanks Holly--you rock! A lower mileage week this week and then three 70 plus weeks and then it will be April, yowsa! 3/3----6 miles easy---6 miles without watch, tired but fine 3/4----OFF/travel to PA (and back)---all set---on my way home now 3/5----15 miles with 4x25 minutes at "comfy-hard" pace/2 mins. interval/travel to AZ in PM---16 miles did the 4 x 25 mins---crazy workout, but good one---coach calls this a bfw 7:48, 7:45, 7:44, 7:44---4 more like this and then taper madness 3/6----8 miles recovery in AZ----8 lovely, sunny Arizona miles in 1:14--life is good 3/7----8 miles with 2-6 at MP in AZ/travel home in PM---1:05.23---middle section hard--calling it 8 miles 3/8----4-6 easy---7 relaxed rain and friend filled miles at 9:00ish pace 3/9----hilly 20--hilly 18.3 with a friend, charged uphills and downhills/8:50 pace 3x weights/abs/core---done SLEEP----C- grade Real food-----cut down on stuff out of packages or boxes or labeled "food-like"---not a weight thing, but an energy thing.--did pretty well until I saw the Sun Chips...only human...just one handful! Total= 63.3
                carnivirus

Thanks, Holly! I appreciate the time you take to do this. Family visiting left me tired Sunday, but I pushed (or pulled) myself out the door to get in my first 19 mile LR. It was NOT pretty at the end - I couldn't even think of trying to run MP . . . Another 50+ week before a stepback week. Looking forward to reading about the relay . . . Steve
                  DayPlanActual Comments
                  MondayRestXTStrength and Abs
                  Tuesday7-8 8Whale Rock Reservoir
                  Wednesday11 miles10Intervals (8 x 800)
                  Thursday5-6 miles0Tired, but XT Strength and Abs
                  Friday5-6 miles 8Hearst Trail
                  Saturday19 miles19Montana de Oro Trails
                  Sunday5-6 miles 0Unscheduled rest
                  Totals:52-56 Miles45 miles
                    Holly, isn't your birthday coming up soon? Maybe this week? Happy Birthday perhaps a bit early. I had planned to make it to 41 miles this week, but it's not to be. Look for me next week however....I"m gonna do it!
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      wow, how did that happen? Shocked
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        Thanks HollySmile
                        DayPlanActualCommentary
                        Sunday7-8 easy8 easy
                        Monday Rest yes
                        Tuesday10 med. long 10 med long
                        Wednesday7-8 easy 8 easy Evening racquetball
                        Thursday rest Get away day…. headed for the beach for a long weekend (or maybe a week)
                        Friday7-8 progressive 8 Hoping for some longer cycling rides this weekend…. 16 mile cycle
                        Saturday7-8 easy 6 16 mile cycle
                        Total40-42 40

Marathon Maniac #957

Evryday, you broke the thread! Big grin Yes, B-Day on the 8th. Sweet of you to remember.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

btb1490

Methinks Mr. Carnivirus has a few too many TABLE /TABLE html tags in his post.... What do you have to say for yourself, sir???? Roll eyes
                              Sweet of you to remember.... Smile
                              Yeah....well....you know, I do what I can Blush Roll eyes
                                Evryday, you broke the thread! Big grin
                                Yeah....well....you know, I do what I can Evil grin