Masters Running

Friday 12/14/12 Daily (Read 399 times)

Tramps

Fly-by thread start.

EZ 7

Have a great weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

I was going to start this thread about 30 minutes ago,but the wife got me distracted,thanks for starting it Tramps.

After last night's surprisingly good run. I plan on doing an easy run tonight. Minimum of 5 miles. If time allows maybe stretch it to around 8.

Good morning Tramps, Drake, and all who slept in.

We've been having a stretch of overly warm weather here the last week or so, and it finally eased a bit this morning.  So I decided to take advantage of it and run a little harder.  6 mile Progression run (down to Tempo):

10:14

9:01

8:39

8:23

7:54

9:16 (cool down)

This is a big Christmas party/event weekend for DW and I.  Leaving work early today to go see The Trans-Siberian Orchestra performing "The Lost Christmas Eve".  Wow!  Certainly not your Mother's Christmas Show!  Pyrotechnics, Lights, and Progressive Rock.  I'm going to like this!

Then tomorrow evening we go to a Christmas Party at some friend's condo to watch the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Parade.  This is an annual event where Boats large and small decorate and cruise up the Intracoastal Waterway.  This is a South Florida Tradition.  Sunday is our Choir party as well.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Took the day off from work yesterday to pour concrete for the approach to my new garage. It's not very often that you can pour concrete in the middle of December in Iowa.

So I will actually be able to park something inside it!

Made yesterday an easy day. I'll have to sneak out tonight for a run. I bought these new pillows, who'd a thought pillows could be so damn comfortable!

Yippee Skippy...It's Friday and I'm taking the whole weekend off !

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

There was a run planned for this morning.  Then we got a call from DD about 4:30am (1:30 her time) that someone had accosted her outside her appartment and taken her purse with phone, ID, etc.  The credit card canceling was the easy part.  Getting her replacements will be fun as she had planned on leaving tomorrow for a week w/ BF and his band and then flying home for Christmas from Vegas.  Hoping she can get her school ID replaced today and then use that and expired permit to get on the plane.  Oh yeah, she has a final today too.  I'm sure she's a lot more stressed than us, but it didn't take long to spread it cross country.  Roll eyes

Maybe tomorrow.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

stumpy77 your poor DD!  That is a really rough way to end the week and semester let alone start a trip somewhere.

Slo_Hand I always thought garages were for storing things like couches and boxes of clothing from a decade ago (you know just in case they come back in fashion) not cars! Confused

Alas, no good news for me on the running front.  I suspected as much yesterday afternoon.  The arch in my foot's arch had some low level pain.  This morning it was fine but the outside of my ankle hurt.  I am going to see a doctor today, but my guess he says just give it more time.  Absent anything dramatic I will probably give the ankle another week and likely two off and hope that cures it.  Sigh, no running, no elliptical and that means no eating either.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

Holly, those are some good ideas of various challenges we can do next year. I'll make note of those and try to come up with some other ones too. Trying to think of ideas of things that people just do at home, without equipment. and types of exercises that would be beneficial supplements to running.  Want to tag team the monthly challenges with me? I could started the thread and lead up one month, you the next, etc?

leaving work early for the company Christmas Party. closing up at 11:00 a.m. Yes, we start partying early here. and who knows, some employees may be starting already!  We have two offices - one in Medford (40 miles away) and then the one I'm in today (Grants Pass). They have a limo leaving from our GP office to bring employees to the party venue, and a large party bus leaving the Medford office because there are more employees in that office. that's how well our boss knows his employees and how having them drive would be a bad idea.  I'm not much of a drinker, probably either a couple beers, or a few glasses of wine, so i plan on driving myself, as I get too motion sick in limo's.

doing a group trail run on Sunday morning and Johnny will join us. We live about 20 miles from each other and yet it's been a few months since I've seen him.

have a good weekend everyone!

Tammy

stumpy, that's really a tough break for your DD. I remember losing my wallet to a pickpocket on the first day of our vacation in Italy a while back, and I still think about it sometimes, wishing I'd been more aware.

Well, my friend who had the cardiac arrest with them working to revive him for almost an hour last Thursday was released from the hospital yesterday! He passed their tests -- such as walking up two flights of stairs without getting winded -- so they had no reason to keep him. That's a big payoff to staying in condition like we all do here.

Especially after yesterday's strenuous run I was worrying again about overdoing it, but I just can't let days like this go by at this time of the year. Again, sunny and mid-30s with no wind (and yes, Holly, that qualifies as IRC for December!) for a very pleasant 4+ miles running from home.

On the return path, I had to cross a busy intersection like I have countless times in the 30 years we've lived here. But recently they rebuilt the whole shebang and changed the way the lights operate: previously, the left-turn arrow came on after the through lanes went from green to red. But now the left-turners get an arrow before the through lanes go green. Being so mentally used to the old lights, I automatically stepped off the curb according to the old pattern and had to jump back when someone came across in front of me. I guess I should pay attention to the actual crossing signals for a while! FWIW, I've also made a couple of minor mistakes when driving thru the intersection recently. Old dog, new tricks, and all that.

I hope that you all get through your intersections safely today, wherever it is that you're going!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I'm bagging my trail race on Sunday, since my entire left leg is torqued mess. Anyone want to run 6 miles in the woods of  Matawan NJ at 11am on Sunday? I hear it's supposed to rain, bonus!

.........Anyone want to run 6 miles in the woods of  Matawan NJ at 11am on Sunday? I hear it's supposed to rain, bonus!

...lemme know

if

the  Rain gets up to your Shoulders,

and

I'm In....

our Pool's closed for half a month

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Typing this from my iPhone while my DH is driving us to Seatle where will see tetsujin tonight and tomorrow will depart from SeaTac to start our long journey to Paraguay to visit my family. I am so excited as you can imagine. I will be off line during my trip, but try to connect when Internet access is available. May your hearts be happy during the Holiday Season Oh, running... 11 most precious smile miles. What a joyful two hours on fresh snow.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

I can see driving to Seattle, but you're going there specifically to see Tetsujin? Hope everything works out all right.

Stumpy, I'm sorry.

Good news for your friend Roch.  Bad news for your street sign observations.

Home from hospital.  Everything fine. Good news is Prime Rib picked me up and we got to go out to lunch. I ate like a pig.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

driving us to Seatle where will see tetsujin tonight 

no wonder I love running so much!

I ate like a pig.  Spareribs

glad everthings okay ribs but, uhmm, I didn't know you had surgery on your stomach too.

ps - If there's any left over, I'll give all your hugs to Mariposai's DH.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Afternoon Y'All,

biketm - love that list - I'll have to remember those if I ever sign up for a trail race.

Welcome back from Cabo, OM - color me green with envy on that trip!

Twocat, that's a bit of a bummer on the return of the pain - hoping it won't be much longer before you're back on the roads.

Ribs, good to see you came through the procedure none the worse for wear. 

lame I hope you're not still holding on for the Taxman...

I'd like to try that plank challenge, or challenge of the month thing, too. Even if I don't end up remembering to do it every day, the extra core strengthening can't be a bad thing.

Bill those boat parades are something fun too see! They have one in Newport, RI the first weekend in December each year, to kick off their Christmas celebrations.  I'm guessing the Ft. Lauderdale ones don't take have snowflakes falling, though.

Stumpy, sorry to hear about your DD's troubles - I hope she's able to reconcile things enough to make her vacation enjoyable.

I only got in 1.5 yesterday before our running club's end-of-year party, thanks to some major troubles with percentages from DS#2. That kinda ate into my run time.  But, I headed out anyway, to make the point to myself that it's not about the distance all the time, it's about the habit and consistency. 

And just wanted to mention, I'm really proud of my running partner Jenn, who won our club's rookie of the year award last night.  She's not a rookie runner, but is new to the club, and from training and running with us, and her own extra efforts, managed to drop her 5k times this year from over 30 minutes in January, to a new PR of 25:37 this past weekend. 

4 or so on the books for me tonight. 

One final note - hug your kids & other loved ones tonight, if they're home with you.  Or send 'em a note or give 'em a call.  This Newtown thing hits a bit close to home - I'm learning now that some of those hurt are friends of my sister in law and my two young nieces, who live nearby. 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

One final note - hug your kids & other loved ones tonight, if they're home with you.  Or send 'em a note or give 'em a call.  This Newtown thing hits a bit close to home - I'm learning now that some of those hurt are friends of my sister in law and my two young nieces, who live nearby. 

Scary world when things like this happen.  Makes replacing ID and phone seem trivial.  I just ahve to wait a week and a half yet to be able to hug DD.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.