Masters Running

Tuesday....did every body Sleep In?? (Read 23 times)

not a bad idea

assuming

anyone reads this, and The Zombie Apocalypse has spared us yet again-

40-min PoolRun yesterday

30-min HH with Good Ol' Racing Crutches (Back is Bugging me)

AND

another 40-min PoolRun

========

.........good Running Or Brain Eating guys..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker

Howdy TW, and anyone else who join's today's party.

Good run & pool run, TW. Sorry about the nagging back.

I didn't sleep in this morning, but I did stay in. We got more snow than we expected yesterday; it qualified as a heavy dusting, but it didn't change to rain like it was supposed to, and it froze along the roadsides overnight. So it would have been slippery going, at best, this morning. Also, I've got this bum hamstring (for 5 weeks and counting with rest most days, TwoCat) and rest seemed to be the best thing for it today.

I'm glad to see that Henrun and Mrs. Stumpy are still both moving forward (cautiously) on the recovery front.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

an amazing likeness

As it's such a quiet daily, and some folks were talking about the Downeast magazine article on Gary Allen which Jay posted a few days ago...I'll share this link to a local channel's video story on this weekend's Millinocket (Maine) Marathon which is in the article:

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/millinocket-marathon-to-make-a-difference/363423085

If nothing else, some of the video will give you a sense of how rural the area is (5+ hour north of Boston, nearest "city" Bangor ME pop ~32K or Fredericton,NB CA).  Weather for race day is sunny and 15F, snow underfoot.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Howdy Do, Everyone - I haven't been around, but last week went great.  A couple of chilly morning runs, but nothing too bad.  This morning it didn't start raining on me 'til near the end, but it was definitely cold.

Work Issues (which have been taking all my energy) -

Last Thursday, I finally got good and ticked and sent a very polite email to the associate attorney I'm working with and to the partner overseeing the work we're doing, asking that we not take on anymore applications due to the administrative workload.  The associate came in my office shortly after - not knowing I sent the email - I told him about it, and he got a bit irritated with me.  I finally let it all out.  I didn't get mad at him, but I pointed out how stretched our 4-person team is and that I am currently responsible for over 100 files with a deadline of December 30.  I finally asked him point blank, "Why are you so afraid to say no to new clients?"  He responded, "I'm not afraid."  So I said, "Okay, then tell me why you WON'T say no."  He had no answer.

The associate and partner talked about it after work, the partner asked what was going on, the associate says, "Leslie has 111 files she responsible for and she's pissed."  The partner said he didn't realize how many applications were still pending (he must've had his head in the sand), so on Friday there was a meeting and the workload was spread out over 6 people, no more new clients, and each person is responsible for getting their respective clients' applications ready for submission.  It doesn't all fall on me and the associate..  Finally!  Finally someone listened!  I tell ya, I cried after that meeting I was so relieved.

We're still all biting our fingernails over getting everything in on time, but at least I don't feel like I or the associate are as close to having a stroke as before.

Enjoy the rest of your week, friends ~~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...FATOZZIG!!!!!!!!..............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Good for you, Leslie. Way to keep your head about you and make your point. Sounds like it worked.

Sorry to hear about the back problems, tomwhite. As if you haven't been through enough. And Jay, you too with the hamstring troubles. Bleh.

I wonder how Mariposai is doing. I swear I thought I saw her son out running on Saturday morning. At least I think it was Saturday. It's all a blur now.

Got in a good 10k on the treadmill last night. It is amazing how my first mile on that thing always feels so choppy and wobbly. Not sure if it's coming off the great running outside or just a "first mile on the TM" issue, but it seems to work itself out and I'm going along pretty well mid-way thru the second mile and thereon. I'll be doing the same again tonight, although probably not as long. I'm trying to build my miles in during the week as much as possible as this weekend we'll be heading off again, this time to New York to see HallyBarb! Not sure how much running I'll get in on Sunday and nothing for sure on Saturday. This is our last trip for awhile though, till Phoenix Marathon on Feb. 25, so I should be able to focus on some actual training... maybe.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Thanks for the link, milktruck...maybe I should just move to Millinocket...I love Maine.

Way to speak up, Leslie.  Can you come and talk to my boss?

I did 3 miles, tonight...still taking it easy.

Okay--I have to write a drama for this Sunday's service.  See ya!

Mariposai is doing as well as one can expect after losing her dad. She is back to running. Personally, I would not come back for a few months if I were her. Where she is the weather is great! Wait until she gets off a plane back here in the northern (frozen tundra) hemisphere.

coastwalker they generally say 6 weeks for tendinitis to disappear. I suspect that rule mostly applies to those under 40. My unsolicited advice is to stay away from anything that strains your hamstrings for another couple of weeks. I am on week 5 to let my toe heal. It is not that bad. Well, okay it is. But I am catching up on a pile of TV shows I have recorded while on the elliptical!

fatozzig I do not get it. If the firm has so much business coming in how come the partners do not hire more people? That or raise their rates for processing work until the work coming in matches the firm's capacity to handle it.

I was busy clearing emails out of my inbox and came across one from a few months ago. It was a junior faculty member at another school telling me he has a forthcoming paper, that the published version looks closer to what I suggested when I discussed the paper at a conference a few years ago and thanking me for my comments. (In my profession after your present your work someone else "discusses" it. Translation: Offers a critique of the paper's good and bad points for the audience.) When I reread the email I noticed the name of the writer's coauthor. It was someone that discussed my paper this past Friday. The discussant made a number of negative comments that were based on ideas (as in mathematical ideas) that are flat out false. (Think of claiming in public someone's math is wrong because they said 2+3=5 rather than 6.) As you might imagine, I was a bit peeved. Okay, a LOT peeved and let him know that after the session ended. Somehow in this case what went round came round in a really rotten form. My coauthor on the paper I presented this Friday is a lot more mellow. She suggested I put down the voodoo doll and suggested we will benefit from good karma somewhere else. Some people are sooo nice! I wonder why I am not one of them? 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I wanted to go run a marathon all by myself for four-or-five hours (in those days) when mariposai’s trip happened to me to San Diego in 2005 but, with so many relatives around I hadn’t seen for years and wanted to be with instead, it turned out to be a 5K in what’s still billed as “the world’s fastest 5K.” I guess it was for the thirteen-minute runners. Funny how just under double that from those days seemed slow when even taking ten minutes more ten years later is cause for celebration. .
                    However, I’m with 2Cat about leslie's lawyers except even more so as,

with computers (and smart paralegals) formatting repetitious application work

to fill-in-the-blank exercises, they could easily help out and do some,

if not a lot, themselves, . . .  just as some solo lawyers do.
                    ps MikeE - not that there’s not enough material for a drama

about drama from us everyday.

Have fun doin’ it.

Sounds like you do.
                    ps - did you ever get a chance for a rainy-day Portland poem, . . .
                    or maybe it’ll become a staple sometime for mariposai’s storytelling.

pps 2Cat -  no need to put away the voodoo doll.

Just get one that's subtle enough they don't know it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

...FATOZZIG!!!!!!!!..............

+1

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."