Masters Running

The not so weekly, weekly newbies. We still rock! 8/24 (Read 281 times)

dg.

hi all.. up in Miane for the long weekend. quick trip home to get DD to work tomorrow. had a good run yesterday and hope for another tomorrow. I'll break 50 miles for the month in a long time. hope everyone is doing well, even those that are even slower at posting than I am. Kevin
    Kevin, is that barb pointed in any particular direction? you are so gracious. Wink. glad you had a good run. is your knee officially ok now? enjoy Maine! i really just want to go to sleep right now, but must get in a shower first. my idiotic neighbor kept me up last night with his music + bongos. Linda, I'm sooo glad. Why do you think you can take less asthma meds? the new breathing thing? that's so interesting. i might look for that book. stupid question, but do you know ahead of time if you need them?(meds) I kind of remember a couple of times when you felt bad & realized you needed a refill. & way less anti-inflammatories!! are you still having pt? no more video games? You are just doing so great. Big grin thanks for saying I dont' have to catch up!! you know that's hard for me to do (to let it go) but these days I can't keep up, much less catch up. So, I'm doing pretty good. You know I pulled my hamstrings again, yes? It was July 27. All things considered, it's been a pretty good month. I cut back, but didn't stop running. Not sure if I should have. It is effecting my stride but I hope not too much. This weather is too good to skip. don't know how sound that logic is. I slowly keep improving. have had 2 massage therapy treatments, which I think are helping. HR is about the same, I'm watching it. A few symptoms otherwise, but not too many. I almost signed up for a 5K at the farmer's market yesterday! He couldn't take money then, so I was saved from the impulse. it's very low key, so I really considered it.(still am) Problem is, I am afraid to push it any more than I already am. (HR, that is) Today I ran by the river, 7.1 miles but it was a push. ahr 170, max 182. average pace, 9:58, max, maybe 8:42? my polar says 3:31. I don't think so. Joni, did you get your dog? Eliz, I'm pretty sure it's past the 14th now. What's going on with you? Teresa, wtg for DS! how's your ankle? Laurie, how are your hammies & hips? congratulations on your 10K. I hope it didn't set you back any. Let us know what Kim finds out at her appt. Too bad it's so far away. What are her symptoms? Mike, nice Holy Grail reference (we've already got one). Sorry to be away so much. just can't keep up. and that pesky pc thing didn't help. How's everything? Hi Roberta! sorry to ramble on.
      Kevin. youre still alive! Yeah. I am oh so jealous. Hows the run to the beach? And do you run the beach? Its a good workout. Deb, if you didnt ramble on we would have nothing to read. The board has been so slow lately. How did you pull the hamstring again? I dont think you have to stop running unless its really bad. I stopped the first time when the pain was so bad I could hardly walk and couldnt sleep. What are you doing for rehad besides massage? I need a massage too...by a handsome masseur with an accent. I managed 11 today. Slow and fairly painful. But I recovered fast and did 15 miles of riding after work. I think the motion after sitting for a long time really helps the hamstring. That and I heat it and stretch several times a day. Which reminds me I need to stretch again now. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

lswife

The good news about today's Blueberry Stomp 5K. . . My DD who can do a 5K in 30 minutes or less wanted to stay at my pace. I told her my slug-slow speed would embarrass her, but she refused to leave me. Running/walking/crossing the finish line with her is a memory I'll cherish. We probably could have had a faster pace, but when we began discussing the matter of wearing water-proof mascara during a race or not, we sort of slowed down. Wink Son-in-law ran much faster and waited for us at the finish line. His mother Debbie ran too, finishing 8th in her age group, and this was her first 5K. My DH stayed with grandson while we all ran. Weather perfect, cheering people lined most of the route through a beautiful town and older neighborhood, and race organization was great. Results were posted almost immediately. The funny news. . . An older man (at least he looked older as he could have been my age Wink) and his adult son were staying with us most of the way. (I think we were the last four runners.) When we four ran past their family group, someone told them, "Hey, don't let those women pass you!" The older man huffed and puffed, replied that he must have peaked too soon. Big grin The "bad news" . . . Far from setting my personal best record, I recorded my slowest time ever! But as DD said, I'm only on week 3 of the C25K program after months of not running due to PF. On her last mile, Debbie couldn't see anyone behind her and thought the cheering was from people making fun of her for being the last. Sad We told her that none of us have ever had people making fun of us, no matter how slow. Still, since this was her first 5K, that was a downer for her. The best news . . . We are all off the couch, encouraged to keep running, and had a great family time. And even though I had a slower-than-slug time, I'm faster than I was before and had fun. Roberta
        lswife

Sorry - double post
            I'm ba-ack - in PA, that is. Going back to the same job, which, surprisingly feels like a good decision, in spite of all the past whining. Made it through Labor Day without crying for the first time in four years. Well, did cry a little while I was out on the bay today, but I do that just about every day because I'm always so overwhelmed by the wonder and beauty of it all. The seagulls that I've been watching since they were tiny little hatchlings were flying today - so beautiful - and not a moment too soon with these hurricanes popping up all over the place. My little babies need to be able to fly away in case Hannah, or Ike, or some storm heads to south Jersey soon! School starts tomorrow, then a meeting tomorrow evening, but I'll do my best to start catching up with everyone on Wednesday. Might even go running - LOL! Here's a teaser - my end of the summer adventure this year was a SURFING lesson this morning! Wow, did I suck! It sure was fun, though, even though I'm sore in places I didn't know I had. The waves were nuts - the instructor told us the conditions were really tough for beginners AFTER the lesson. And I'm learning new vocabulary: the waves were "dumping," which is what they consistently did with me - dumped me off the board! Happy September, everyone. Only 189 school days left! Big grin Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz, its good to hear from you. How are things at the school so far? Its way too early to start your countdown. Hows the running going? I promised Kim surfing lessons this summer and we never got around to it and now she is insanely busy with field hockey and band. Heres a tidbit for ya, in other countries they call field hockey "hockey' and what we call 'hockey' they call 'ice hockey'. Very interesting huh. L'sm and you are recovering from an injury. It will take time. I have been running again since Feb and still havent gotten back up to speed. Slow down and take it easy. How does the foot feel? How fun to run with family. I get passed up by older people all the time. I did 4.5 yesterday. It was painful and hot. I set out much too late in the morning. I sure miss running in CA. Western Mass sure sucks compared to San Diego! I stiffen up really easily lately so I have been trying to keep moving and standing throughout the day. It helps. Today I walked for 45 mins and did some yard work. My yard is now fall decorated with mums and garland. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

dg.

hi. Eliz, it's so good to hear from you! so sweet you had your own baby seagulls. Smile. I am impressed with your surfing lesson. You are far braver than I am. Nice of the instructor to tell you that after! I'm glad you're comfortable with your school decision. How's your foot? Laurie, I pulled my hamstrings again by just going too long (on a run) one time. I knew at the time I was doing it!! but at the same time thought it couldn't be possible. It was. Wink. How are your hamstrings? Where are they hurt? You asked what I'm doing for rehab.... not too much, esp. as it gets better, I'm getting lazier about it. But the plan was (& is) to do very gentle stretching a few times a day, followed by ice. Ideally this whole thing follows strengthening exercises. I also take Boswellia. I'm curious about you heating. Did they say to do that in pt? We used to do that before exercising, & ice after. I can see where riding would be good. Sitting too long always seems like a bad thing. Especially right after a run. What did the doctor say about Kim's knee? Roberta, thanks for your race report! I'm so glad you ran it. great job. the closest I've gotten was deciding to sign up for a race last week.... but they couldn't take money at the time (they had a table at the Farmer's Market) & the impulse passed. You just keep going... that's wonderful. How is your health otherwise? I'm just about the same... running 4 days a week. 3 at the track, once by the river. lots of cross training. I keep adding more, but need to sort it out & make it more efficient. and time it a little better. I think I'm doing just a little too much... a few new aches & pains. Not too bad, though. Hi to everybody else. pop in & let us know how you are.
                Rindaroo

Hi all - this week was a little rougher.. breathing wasn't as good... but I kinda slacked off the breathing exercises, so guess I'm still figuring it out. But 2 weeks with no meds whatsoever asthmawise so that's a positive thing. Only managed 9 miles this week, down for 12.27 last week.. but its something. Eliz - glad you are feeling the decision is a postive one. Roberta - yay on the 5k!! Debbie - yep I think its the change in breathing, but this week my breathing hasn't been as good. I think that is because my nose has been kinda clogged.. so am thinking maybe nasal spray would be a good thing. oh & regarding my DS, I am setting up a 504 plan for him this year. So hopefully things will be easier in that arena. Sorry to hear about the hamstrings, hang in there!!! remember slow & easy, ok?
                    Deb, I agree that you are overdoing it. They dont get a chance to heal with 4 days a week running. I would skip a run or two and add in a yoga, swim or pilates instead. Thats what I am doing and it seems to help. What also helps is heating before stretching and icing after the run. Youre right, sitting hurts like hell. I cant drive for more than 30 mins before being in aweful pain. I get it in my hips too. I think once the muscle has been pulled its more susceptible to injury. Jeez, just do the race. You will be hooked I guarantee it. Linda, good news about 2 weeks. Is is worse, better or same in the winter? What is a 504 plan? Great but painful run on Sunday. 9 miles with the club and friends. We had our monthly fun run and breakfast at the founders home. Those are always good times. My running partner has been taken over by a faster runner. Sucks. So now I lag behind with my ipod for company. Light week coming up with a tri on Sunday. So I start tapering and wont run anymore. I will just bike easy and swim. Laurie