Masters Running

Bridle Trails 50K 2010 (Read 323 times)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Last year this was my toughest race, both mentally and physically so I thought the experince would last me for at least a few years. Then I started to hope I would be out of town this weekend...not to have to decide whether to sign up or not....once I figured out I would not be in Italy in early Jan  I started hearing this little voice in me telling me to go for it again...such a push over that I am ..I gave in.

Bridle Trail 50K  in a local park with high horse traffic therefore a lot of mud..starts at 3pm so first 2 laps with daylight and last 4 in the dark. 

The weather this last week had been quite rainy, particularly on Friday but  on Saturday morning we were surprisingly blessed  with some sunshine and mild temps.  With a 3pm start I even had time to be at work for a bit  ,but I just wanted to make sure to be at the park early enough to get parked as close as possible so I went with plenty of time to spare. This "trail running festival" draws a lot of people particularly for the 5M ,10M and relay races, high school XC runners and lots of young folks. Usually only about 70/80 people sign up for the 50K solo which was my race. I saw lots of the familar faces of the local hard core Ultra runners, the young and fast ones who , without fail always pass me half way to the finish. I was hoping to find someone to run with this time but I soon realized I'd have a  long lonely run in the night ahead of me.

The first lap was to try to memorize the course and the hazards...very runnable dry trail until we got to the single track portions which were quite muddy, no standing water anywhere so I managed to keep my shoes clean and dry. ran the 5.2 miles in about 55:00.

Second lap  I shuffled along at about the same speed until I started to realize it was getting quickly dark. We had a bit of delay at the start, probably by the time we were on our way must have been at least 3:20, which meant that at my rate of speed I would need that light before the third lap...good thing I had put a flashlight in my belt.. bad thing such flashlight did not work when I tried to turn it on...I slowed down and proceeded to finish the lap in the dark.

Armed now with headlight and a new flashlight and having stripped down to shorts and tee shirt  I resign myself to my solo run....I'm not really fond of the darkness...nor of trail running ..so this was a challenge with myself.

I have to admit  that once my eyes adjusted to the light or lack or it, and I was running on the better part of the trail I started to feel quite comfortable  out there , I had my music on  and all my focus on avoiding a turned ankle of a spill in the mud. 

On the last two laps the front  part of my ankles started to hurt and my toes as well were screaming at me during the downhills....I tried to ignore the pain and the realization that I will probably have a couple of black toe nails  very soon. .. within a couple of hundred yards from the finish I passed Mel , one of the MM institutions, he had one more lap to go .

At the finish line I was greeted by my whole family !!..Mel came into the aid station a couple of minutes behind me to refuel to head off in the dark to make the midnight deadline. I got to introduce my kids to him , he's a real inspiration...at age 77..I told him that ,had my family not been there, I would have run the last lap with him...Smile

My Garmin time was 6:52...within 5 minutes of last year time. So I think I learned 2 things about myself: first ,I can run faster in bad weather...I guess trying to get out of it.....and second a running buddy is vital to stay motivated in such conditions!

Mari, next year...come over ...we can break 6:30 for sure..

Thanks for reading....this was supposed to be much shorter...sorry!!!   

Francesca    

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Great run.  I too am not fond of running in the dark, especially trail running.  The few times I've run on the road after dark its been ok though.  Nice job navigating through the mud on the single track and avoiding the "face plant".  How are those toes doing today?  It was wonderful for you family to meet you at the finish.  SOunds like you were prepared even thought the first flashlight didn't work, you had a backup for the 3rd lap.  You must have been a girl scout.  Anyway, congrats.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

private e-mail to posie.

that was sweet of francesca to invite you to next year’s Bridle Trail night time mud run. She’s also a gem for posting such a sanitized version of this year’s running so it wouldn't bring back all my bad memories getting lost, hypothermic, etc.  when I did it.  Watch out though, next thing, she'll have you doing the morning Nookachamps half mary too with all the snow geese and trumpeter swans up in Skagit before running in the dark with all the, . . whoops, she didn't mention Bigfoot either did she?

However, before you get to thinking that it’s the kind of fun run she described, please make sure you find out why, if this year was so much better than last year, dea’s finish time was 5minutes slower.  Also, maybe a photo of her (or anyone for that matter) who claims to have run through the horse manure in the night wearing “shorts and a t-shirt.”  ji ji that's for sure.

Sadly, similar hallucinations afflict many ultrarunners and eventually can become reality  too but, considering franci’d only run one marathon back in the oughts and NO ultras at this time less than two years ago, I just didn’t expect  it to happen so soon to her.

If you have to give in though, then maybe at least invite her to some training run this year to help get ready for it such as White River 50 mile, Western States 100 mile, Badwater 135 mile, Sahara des Sables, Gobi Desert, Antarctica, Mt. Everest, Moon, etc.

;

ps francesca - nice try trying to get back-up from Mel but don't forget to tell posie that he's the one who thought it was normal to run 300 times around the local high school track to celebrate his 75th birthday (to say nothing of running the Yakima River Canyon Marathon  the day after he fell off a ladder and broke three ribs!).!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

posie - let's check with sue and lynn but maybe francesca went to the Disney in Florida

instead where's it's usually sunny and warm, even into the 80's

sunshine and mild temps.

very runnable dry trail

managed to keep my shoes clean and dry

stripped down to shorts and tee shirt

I started to feel quite comfortable  out there

I had my music on 

At the finish line I was greeted by my whole family 

I told him . . . I would have run the last lap with him...Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I started hearing this little voice in me telling me to go for it again...such a push over that I am ..I gave in.

..I told him that ,had my family not been there, I would have run the last lap with him...Smile

Yes that's you, a push over!

So you would have done one more loop with Mel....amazing!

Glad it was not too poopy this year and the temps were a lot higher think.

Someday I'll come out for the 5M, but that's it, I'm no pushover you know!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

...and having stripped down to shorts and tee shirt ...

Ohhh, I am SO JEALOUS right now....

Francesca - running on trails is hard enough, but in the dark?  I'd be the face-plant queen, for sure.  Very impressive - great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

a local park with high horse traffic therefore a lot of mud..

Uh, I hate to break the news to you but what the horses leave behind is not "mud." 

It takes a special kind of person to head back out there--in the dark--after having had such a difficult race last year.  You are one tough woman.  And as Tet points out, you make it all sound so mild...and normal!

Hope those ankles and toes have recovered.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

This race could be fun in the daylight. Don't think I'd want to run it in the dark though. Good job on heeding the call a second year, Franc!

(Tet, you're such a downer... Posie might like running in the poop in the dark!)

Mariposai

. I was hoping to find someone to run with this time but I soon realized I'd have a  long lonely run in the night ahead of me.!

Francesca    

Of course I will be there with you next year!

Of course we can brake 6:30 minutes thanks to your expert hands!!!

I sure love this report and made me want to be there...horse poop or not Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Great job, Franc.  You sure took on, and bested, the dark, the trails, and the mud/horse poop.  Congratulations.

TomS