Masters Running

Friday, 6.10.16 (Read 34 times)

lamerunner

Hi there, long  time no post. I have been checking on you though!  Lots of changes here.  I left my law firm late last year  and got a position in Vermont working at the Department of Financial Regulation. We regulate securities, insurance, and banking. Its been pretty interesting. I rented a tiny condo in Stowe, VT  for during the week, sure beats the  Econolodge drill I did early on. There is really nice trail running just down the road, one mile downhill and into a mountain bike area. I have been staying on the main trail due to time, but it is gorgeous, right by the river. My DS is spending some time in VT  this summer also; he is staying with a ski teammate/friend and working on their farm, training for skiing, and taking driver's ed. Back In NH mostly on weekends. He had quite a year.  Spectacular on the academics, but somehow managed to get an eye infection which had staph but mostly featured a parasite, acanthamoeba. Extraordinarily rare, especially in the NE USA, and very hard to treat. His right eye was rendered nearly blind, and he lost about half his ski season.  In recent weeks, there has been marked improvement in vision. Doctor is no longer talking about corneal transplant. He played varsity tennis this Spring and did ok. He learned to adapt, and his vision started coming  around a bit mid-season. Jury is still out on how this thing resolves, but it is looking better.   He is still being treated. I will say as awful as it was, I got a glimpse of one very tough hombre of a son. Makes me proud.

DD graduated from college and is working as an Outward Bound instructor this summer. She is excited, got assigned to mountaineering/climbing trips. She makes me proud too. She was evaluated as a "badass" after instructor training. No compliment pleases her more than that, oddly even our compliments on her writing.

I have been  running, albeit not fast, and doing some swimming, yoga and walking.  There is good hiking nearby Stowe and the days are long, so perhaps I see an evening hike soon.  Weather lately has been unsettled,  Amy has me thinking about a Mad River appearance, so maybe the half if logistics work.

Excellent work , Mike on the NE  5 marathon challenge. I would have croaked. I am sorry about the injuries among us. Heal fast. I can't tell you the number of times I have made a  small injury larger by trying not to take time off, just saying...

Cheers and love to all!

Happy almost summer!

Little did I know that just 15 yrs later, I would be in another online support group with masters and once again celebrating someone making it through the night without wetting the bed.  This is awesome 

Erika - You realize a number of us are incredibly jealous of your right now.  Happy for you, but incredibly jealous. 

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

lamerunner - we're doing the Stowe 8 mile/5K the same w/e as Aamos is doing the half.  we're there friday & saturday nights.  hope your DS continues to improve and congrats on DD

((MikeE))