Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 1.10.13 (Read 313 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'd also like to know Ilene's and Ribs' sciatica exercises are.

4.2 racewalking miles at 4:20 this morning. It was mild, at 40F, but the wind was blowing at about 20 mph from the NW, and that changed things a bit. There were a few times I stopped to remove branches, recycling bins, etc. from the middle of the road. With the winds swirling and blowing as they were, it was awfully difficult to keep a sense of pace: Sometimes it would come up behind me and almost lift me off the ground. Other times, it would blow front the side and push me a few feet toward the center of the road, And when it hit me from the front, my windbreaker flattened against my chest, and it felt to be a struggle to maintain any forward momentum. It was great to be out playing with Mother Nature when she was showing her feisty side!

Have a great day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

I've been in lurker mode the last few days.

Jlynne, Green Bay is always on my radar. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet but the half is in the cards. If Green Bay wins the super bowl it's practically assured.

5.6 miles this am nice easy pace.

I had an unintentional streak going. I made it 97 days before my in-laws spoiled it (gotta blame someone) by crashing our house on the 7th for a suprise birthday party for my DW. (In all honesty I didn't get up with my alarm in the A.M.) The party left me in no shape to run on slick roads. Getting the bed to stop spinning was my main priority.

Both of my daughters are down today with the flu. I'm actually glad to be at work.

mornin' guys//...........yep, Flu is going wild down here,,,,,,,,, naturally (since I'm off tomorrow)  I started catching it too......

usually I don't

=======

double weight sessions

pt xs

................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

I can't remember the last time I had the flu, and I am very happy about that. I get the shot every year.  I can't think of why everyone doesn't get it.

2.5 easy miles with my RP this morning. Today is her b'day and the Saint knitted her this most beautiful scarf.

Tomorrow I'll do the same distance as I have a big 15K on Saturday so this gives me two light days just before the race, ideal for me.

This afternoon and tomorrow afternoon I am working packet pickup at a LRS for the same race.  I love this volunteer job above all others, as the runners who come into the store are all excited about the race.  Spareribs

Tramps

What a coincidence!  I just got my flu shot this morning.  Better late than never.

I haven’t gotten the flu shot in the last few years but will be spending more time on campus this semester and all this news coverage of the flu reminded me that I should get it.  My doc’s office is right next to a park so….

Went to run in the park, which has a nearly flat 1+ mile loop.   11.9 miles with 6 @ MP.  I’m not used to running on such flat terrain and I kept going about 10-15 seconds faster than target MP pace.  I think this would be a better place for intervals than MP runs.

Be safe. Be kind.

They offer the flu shots at our office in the late fall each year.  I don't turn it down, but these days I tend to use the route from my office to the cafeteria that I don't have to touch any door nobs.  Just to be safe.

40 minutes spin this morning, plus planks.

The foot is acting up, so am glad there's more treatment tomorrow, no matter how much it hurts.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

TammyinGP

good morning!

by the sounds of our news over the past day, you'd have thought we had the snow storm of the century blowing in over night. Woke up this morning to frost on the ground Roll eyes I guess there's still time for this big snow to blow in though.  Maybe the key is that if the news talks about it enough and works everyone up into a frenzy about bad weather, then it won't happen.

never had the flu shot, nor have i ever gotten the flu. Maybe once every few yrs I might feel a little run down, with a few body aches, but never seems to last more than a day or two and doesn't really keep me down as far as that 'not wanting to get out of bed' feeling.  I don't really think of that as "the flu" though.

provided nothing happens later weather-wise, I plan on running on my lunch hour.  did my planks this morning though.

Tammy

Why my DW does not get a flu shot is always mystifies me.  She commutes every workday on public transportation which seems like an invitation to get it.  True she has not gotten the flu in years but why push it?  I try to encourage her, she says no.  Well this year the news is apparently dire enough that she claims that she will get one either tomorrow or this weekend.  Of course, supplies are now running low so I hope there are some vaccines available if she ever does get around to going in for one.  I try to get one in November to make sure I am immunized by the time the early December flu cases start to show up. Back then, there was naturally no shortage of vaccines.

Just a gym workout for me today.  But I woke up with an ankle that felt just fine!  So, absent an unexpected setback, it is 4 miles on the road (my first non-TM run in months!) if at all possible.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Jlynne, Green Bay is always on my radar. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet but the half is in the cards. If Green Bay wins the super bowl it's practically assured.

Super Bowl? Let's see if they can get past San Francisco first. I went to the CellCom kick-off party last night. Really good turnout - probably a couple hundred people (what else are you going to do in Green Bay on a cold winter night than drink beer and talk about running Big grin) You might remember that the RD cancelled the marathon last year due to dangerous heat conditions. He took a lot of flack for making that decision, and I'm sure that many of you agree temps in the upper 80's are really not such a big deal. He defended his decision - said that people were dropping like flies and emergency people/equipment were taxed to the point of having no more. He also said that the communication was poor - people didn't know whether the race was cancelled or they should keep running because the volunteers at the aid stations were giving mixed information. Their contingency plan for this year sounds better. Hopefully, they won't need to worry about that again. I really like and respect the RD Sean Ryan and think he does a great job. The guest speaker was Dane (sorry, I don't remember his last name) - the guy who ran 52 marathons in 52 weeks.  A really good talk, and he's got a wicked sense of humor - kept teasing Ryan about cancelling stuff.  I'm psyched up and ready to join their training runs starting this Saturday. Anyway, 7.98 miles this morning, 9:56 pace.

(((Flu victims))) Take it easy, everyone. I got a flu shot but when you work at a high school and also have little germ factories running around, it's hard not to pick up stuff.

Speaking of little germ factories, I'll be cross training watching grandkids this afternoon. My DIL is due one month from today.

BEST LINE OF THE DAY

''Little Germ Factories''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

A little bit short of 4 miles for me this morning.

I've never got a flu shot.  Mostly because it's embarrassing when I turn white and fall out of the chair.

If anyone knows about a ringing sound in your ears, let me know.  It started a week or so ago and can be very annoying at times.  I did a lot of reading on the internet and there doesn't seem to be any cure.  But there is a chance it will just go away.  That depends on what caused it and for that I have no idea.  I haven't been exposed to any loud noises.

I did read about a guy who gets relief by turning on the radio in-between stations so all he gets is static.  That didn't work for me, but my clock radio has a few settings of "noise".  I tried one last night that was like being in a swamp with a bunch of bugs and frogs.  It helped me get some sleep which has been rough the last few nights.  The one with the sound of waves crashing would have been good but there were some dumb seagulls squawking in the background.  That was worse than the ringing.

TammyinGP

my husband also has tinnitus.  has had it for years. it's pretty mild and after so many years of having it, he barely notices it anymore. He attributes it to all the years he spent at the race track, racing himself or crewing/tuning on race cars, with no ear protection. and his years of drumming and listening to loud music.

Tammy

Slo

Holy Carp...This just happened to me too. Started about 4 weeks ago.

A little bit short of 4 miles for me this morning.

I've never got a flu shot.  Mostly because it's embarrassing when I turn white and fall out of the chair.

If anyone knows about a ringing sound in your ears, let me know.  It started a week or so ago and can be very annoying at times.  I did a lot of reading on the internet and there doesn't seem to be any cure.  But there is a chance it will just go away.  That depends on what caused it and for that I have no idea.  I haven't been exposed to any loud noises.

I did read about a guy who gets relief by turning on the radio in-between stations so all he gets is static.  That didn't work for me, but my clock radio has a few settings of "noise".  I tried one last night that was like being in a swamp with a bunch of bugs and frogs.  It helped me get some sleep which has been rough the last few nights.  The one with the sound of waves crashing would have been good but there were some dumb seagulls squawking in the background.  That was worse than the ringing.

I've had Tinnitus for as long as I can remember.  It's never been to the point of being a problem or a nuisance.  I sleep like the dead most of the time and I only notice it when I think about it.  But the ringing is always there at some level.  The bad part though is that my hearing is going downhill.  I've mentioned the need for hearing aids before.  One of these days ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Hello. Happy Thursday.

Today I celebrated my eldest daughter's 28th birthday with a run. She is now as old as I am. Tonight she wants the whole family to go to a yoga class with her. We will of course but I am sure my 18 year old son isn't too thrilled with the prospect. Should be interesting.

Have a good day everyone.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**