Masters Running

2009 Running season over before if even started (Read 372 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Electrical stimulation. The tech puts electrodes on your butt or wherever the therapy is needed and the cranks up the machine and a little bit of electricity goes to the site. (I think, anyone with more knowledge is welcome to jump in here.) If your PT didn't recommend it, then I guess your injury isn't one that would respond to it. I believe it really helped my injury. It was a piriformis issue but, we also think there was some hamstring involvement (at the insertion) I didn't click on DeeGee's links, but, she has helped me tremendously in the past, so pursue her leads. (In fact, I credit DG for saving my sanity if not my life a few years back. She sent me a link to an obscure research study (another health issue) and, sure enough, I had the same ailment. My doctor told me, "In 30 years of practice, I've never had another patient with this diagnosis." I am totally cured now. Thanks DeeBeeGeeBee!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Dg helped me, too, last summer with deciphering a pain that seemed so hard to pinpoint the source of. So sorry Laurie, that you are going through this. You are certainly talking to a crowd who fully understand what running means to you and how hard it will be to not run. {{{hugs}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good luck to you. I just finished a 3 month stint of no running due to injury so I know how you feel. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Me

Debbie helped me too. I think we should start calling her "Doc".

Renee the dog

Hey dg recently sent me a very helpful link too! {{{Laurie}}} I will be thinking of you and hope you find something to keep you sane while you find a way to heal!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

SteveP

As a non drinker, running keeps the voices in my head down to a whisper. We all hope you're good as new soon. Until then, we also hope you and your doctor can come up with an acceptable outlet.

SteveP

Its unanimous. Dr Deb, youre hired. I will follow all your links. Actually you have helped in the past and have a good in depth knowledge of sports injuries. Thanks everyone. My second opinion appt is Jun 3rd. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

10k in 1975

Hi Laurie, You're quite welcome. Smile > Months of appts, MRI, xrays and followups to find out I was seeing an arm and hand guy??!! Here are some comments from "Power Yoga", by Beryl Bender Birch, p267-8. In long distance runners "the injury is usually a tiny tear, perhaps near the origin of the muscle at the buttock bone, or somewhere along the belly of the muscle. If soreness develops slowly, it often means that the hamstring muscles are simply getting tighter and tighter from running and need to be stretched regularly. "Nearly all the standing postures and the Primary Series postures stretch the hamstrings. If you are having hamstring strains and injuries, you need regular, hot stretching ... the practice works on the back of the legs. The first few weeks, you might be a bit sore from the stretching (not from microtearing!). Slowly you will loosen up and get used to the stretching process, and actually look forward to it. "When you first tear any muscle fiber, after the requisite few days of rest and ice, you need to begin to stretch the muscle -- gently enough to avoid interrupting the healing process, but strongly enough to keep scar tissue from further shortening the muscle. The key is to make the process progressive. Each day you go a little deeper into the stretch, depending on what the muscle is telling you. As the tear heals, the stretching can become more intense. This is an excellent example of when it is pretty safe to say that nothing works quite as well as the Power Yoga workout for hamstring injuries, because of the heat. Without heat, stretching an injured hamstring is positively deadly." - - - - - A few comments on this. "Hot" and "heat" refer to the dynamic nature of the stretching, as opposed to cold stretching (a no-no). This is not a matter of being warm externally, but of doing the stretching exercises repetitively where the muscles are warm, as with running. I first practiced this due to having issues with my calves, where the tightness prevented me from running. I began doing sun salutations for 10 minutes every morning, during which time my muscles got quite warm, and my calves loosened up almost immediately. The Author mentions doing them consecutively for two hours at a time. See any time you can't run, you can do the sun salutations for the same amount of time you'd be running! Now I just do them a few times and head out for my run, though continuing the 10 minute practice would probably be much better. In the case of my tight calves and achilles, stretching the rest of my legs with the sun salutations did not stretch my calves or achilles, per se, but stretched the rest of my legs, which took the pressure off the tight areas. This is the benefit of these exercises, that they stretch all of your legs, in harmony. - - - - - I see no contradiction with using the MICE method with the sun salutations. I often ice a sore area before heading out for a run, and the same with the sun salutations. As far as I'm concerned this is still dynamic stretching and provides the heat that I'm looking for, as opposed to cold stretching trying to force the muscle. I never do that, and only stretch to where the stretching is comfortable. This is relatively easy to determine, and I usually call it "loosening" vs stretching. As mentioned above, there are many stretches in the book but the only one I have used is the sun salutation combination, plus my other usual running loosening up exercises. Below is a link that shows variations of the sun salutations. The one that I do is line 4, also often repeating just the middle two positions, back and forth. When I went through the book, I picked the exercises that suited me best. http://www.yogawithamey.com/images/sunsalutations.jpg
                    So sorry you're dealing with this. If exercise is out for awhile, another hobby to get lost in might help. I keep a long list of things I enjoy doing (but have no time) and it helped me a couple years ago when I was off my feet for a few months. I had no idea that Dee-Gee had made such significant contributions to so many folks here. I am very impressed.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

10k in 1975

I just noticed you're using a heating pad, heat being one of the WORST things you could do to an injury. Heat increases inflammation, increases pain, brings blood to the surface, delays healing and prolongs the injury. Using heat is the opposite of the MICE modality. Also keep the location of the injury as dry as possible, when not running (showering) and icing. Sitting around in wet clothes or sitting in hot tubs weaken the tissues and are terrible for injuries.
                      RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

That's odd. My physical therapist used e-stim in combination with moist heat followed by massage for my injury and I've healed up quite nicely. While heat does "bring blood to the surface", it also increases circulation to the area, which brings O2 to the area which can promote healing, right? I think heat can help with some injuries, although, with an acute injury, ice only, no heat, for the first 24 hours. I could be wrong. If so, if felt so right to be wrong. (snort) MTA Thinking on this a little more. If the hamstring is torn, I'm not exactly sure what the proper remedy would be. You would want to decrease inflammation but you'd also want adequate circulation, which ice would cause constriction of blood vessels... hmmm? I just don't know.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

jules2

Flyin, having suffered with my hamstrings for over a year now I have an idea what its like. A couple of times I've thought I'd never run again. What interested me is the comments about hot and cold as it always puzzled me how they can both work!

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

I dont know what to make of the heat vs cold issue. My PTist uses heat to start the session. Then ice to end it sometimes with the ES. So far I cant say I prefer one to the other or either of them for that matter as neither have really helped out.

As far as water goes it really helps. I mean the pool and hot tub both. It relaxes my muscles and provides a resistance workout that is impact free. Plus swimming fills in for running in keeping me fit and sane.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

((Laurie))  hope your 2nd opinion helps..........if not - there are so many good doctors in Boston and surrounding areas if it comes to that  .......... keep us posted and try to stay positive!!

denise

What a bummer, wild.  I wish you the best as you get a second opinion and deal with whatever is indicated.  Keep us posted.

TomS