Masters Running

Saturday, April 19th Daily (Read 429 times)

It's a great day to be alive! 3 easy miles at 10:2x pace this afternoon. A warm 82F with a nice 25mph breeze. Paul...I see you did the "Remember the 10" and winning your AG...well done! Let's try and meet up somewhere next weekend at OKC. I think Tim is planning to run the half. My wife and I will be arriving in OKC sometime on Sat. Maybe the expo on Sat... If you're interested, send me an email trestone at sbcglobal dot net Good running to all!
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

You've never met Ilene??? good grief - what are ya . . . the last person to NEVER have met her? I thought everyone has met up with Ilene before! Tongue
      Nope, we've shared emails, traded jokes online, and all in all she is fun to know, but we have never met personally. And I saw your earlier post today Tammy. Never say never. You get healthy and resume the kind of training you can do and Boston, like many other goals could be in your reach. Heck of a workout for Mustang. I always secretly hoped she came here because she has a crush on me, but I see now it's just a supervision kind of thing. pfriese (Paul) is another person I have met, so there! Nice win today Paul! And I think that a crisp fiveK one week out will do you no harm, a good sharpener, but you take this week easy I hope. Spareribs

GreenMan

Hey folks Thanks for all the news from Boston. It's always fun to meet online friends and hear of others meetings as well. Congrat to Paul on his 1st AG! I headed for the mountains to get in some good elevation change. Along the way,I picked up a thru-hiker who was hitching back to the trail. He just happened to be an old trailrunner so we had a good chat. We parked at the Summit Cut AT crossing on US 58. Today's route will take me up Beech Mt to Buzzard Rock, then skirt Whitetop Mt. and down to Elk Garden and back. The first 5 miles took me from about 3100' to 5100' and the next 2 miles down to 4250'. 7 miles then back the same route on the AT. Guessing total climb must have been close to 3500' which is comparable to next week's race average gain/loss. My time was less than encouraging, but I dwaddled a bit, 4:20 overall. The weather was cool and threaten rain, but it held off. JJJ
        Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
          Easy 5 miles in 48:00 today. Saving it for tomorrows 20 miler (my First ever). The Boston group is starting to post already. It should be a fun 3 days. I actually have Monday off so I will be able to watch some of the race. The reason I am off is that my youngest son is heading to Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. Undecided Big grin Sad Not my first choice for him but he made the decision and I respect that he is doing what he wants to do with his life. I think as parents we all need to know when to step aside and let them do their own thing. I hope he finds what he is looking for. Big BBQ at the Halls tomorrow for a send off. Ribs on the Bar B. ( not the spare rib variety) One of my specialties according to everyone . I taught Culinary arts for 7 years after being a cook for , well forever I guess, and the best I can do is ribs? Wink Home Brew , Ribs , pats on the back and quite a few tears I am sure. Wonder how Tall did? Marathon Derrick, Feeling better I hope. Good runs to everyone.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Paul, congrats on the AG win! Tammy, you could easily train to BQ! If you can stay injury free, you certainly seem to have the innate speed/talent to improve to that level. Myself on the otherhand, I'm in the "no talent but tries hard" category of runners. Mustang, nice progression run in crapola weather! Big Little Question here: My 5K that was cancelled a few weeks ago has been rescheduled for next weekend. That is only one week before my virgin mararthon. Should I do it? I had already written it off as being too close to the big one to risk it, and you can't do a 5K as a "training run" like you can for 1/2 marathon. I think I should stay home and just bounce off the walls instead. Could I do it as a tempo, and not get sucked into running hard?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hey everyone! Good runs out there.... Congrats Paul on your AG award! JJJ, sounds like you did some serious climbing today. Do you ever see buzzards on Buzzard Rock? I only see an occasional raven in the cliffs. That's cool you met up with a thru-hiker who happened to be a trailrunner. So what if you dwaddled, you had a good time out there Big grin I wanted to do a track workout like Bruce , but there was some huge track meet at the West H.S. track. So I ended up heading toward the ocean and ran 5.5 dwaddling miles along the Esplanade and through some hilly Redondo Beach neighborhood streets. The waves were pretty strong today. I saw alot of smiling people on the Strand walking dogs and riding bikes, a nice sunny breezy 62 deg F.
                Congrats on your AG win Paul... No run today...this work thing really screws up my good running days...
                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                Mariposai

Big Little Question here: My 5K that was cancelled a few weeks ago has been rescheduled for next weekend. That is only one week before my virgin mararthon. Should I do it? I had already written it off as being too close to the big one to risk it, and you can't do a 5K as a "training run" like you can for 1/2 marathon. I think I should stay home and just bounce off the walls instead. Could I do it as a tempo, and not get sucked into running hard?
                  No you can not run a 5k a week before your marathon...over my dead body you will do something like that. Taper madness can ruin your well intended "training run". Please don't enkie. You have worked so hard to get here...please don't risk it. There will always be tons of other 5k, but there is only One "First marathon". SP...wanna a dance?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Thanks Mari, I just needed someone to say it out loud. 5K's are a plenty, July 4th for example. It is snowing out there, Posie, are you ready to PR in the snow?? Shocked

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I second what Maraposai is saying Enke.....no 5k madness before the marathon you have been working for and with such dedication! Good Luck Maraposai---you have trained through all sorts of conditions, brush that sleet off and run with wings on your feet. The first 20 with your head and the last 6.2 with your heart. You are all heart anyway, so you'll do great! Go, go, go! Wowsa Mustang Sally...that was some workout. You are doing some tough miles and it will pay off at Eugene. Recover well now though....Quality over quantity and let the impact of this workout you conquered take hold. Great running and a graph that makes me grin. Congrats Paul! I took a nap this afternoon and while I can't make up for any training period sleep deficits, It was awfully nice to snooze in the middle of the afternoon. I had an anxiety dream that I forgot my chip and my bib number and kept trying to convince the BAA folks that I should run anyway. I woke up and immediately looked for the bib and the chip...Phew. I had a nice collection of pillow creases on my face and quite the bed head hairdo going, but my chip is safe. Carry on... Karin
                      TammyinGP

Enke - sounds like you've made your decision, but I would also say no, never, no-how, uh-uh . . . no 5K racing that close to a Marathon. If you want to be there for it, then go in the capacity of a volunteer to help out - but not to run. And thanks for your vote of confidence both Enke and Ribs thinking I could somehow qualify for Boston. I'm not so sure of that, but I appreciate you saying that. I think I'd have to do something like a 3:50 in my AG. This snow, sun, rain stuff we've had going on here today had me quite confused, . . . so I napped . . . of to evening church now. I am hoping that after some stretching tonight, the soreness from all those lunges I crazily did yesterday will have worn off and I plan on a nice leisurely 3 hr workout at the gym tomorrow - some cardio, some weights, some sauna, . . . Smile

Tammy

evanflein

Go Mariposai and all you other Wenatchee runners! Sure would like to see you guys again... Geez, SR, even I've met Ilene... three different times! Speaking of Boomer meetings, had an excellent time tonight meeting so many... WRFB (who makes excellent beer, btw), PDR, La Tortuga (who also makes excellent dark beer) and her DH, Wi Fi Tim and his wife, Perch (ok, already met him) and his DH, PBJ and Long Suffering... and the PBJ'sters, BTB (who is every bit as kind and generous in person as online), Hally Barb, rtravers (my sister in run-by-effort running), irunmike (who posts on KR), Ilene and Fast Forward (more relay buddies), and Holly and her husband Jim. What a treat. Finding Holly at the Expo was great... their flights were delayed and I was just about "expo'd out," texted DH that I was coming to the hotel soon, looked up and said, "Well, that's gotta be Holly!" What fun! We rode back from the party tonight together (with BTB) on the train and had a great time. I wasn't sure we were going to make it to the trials tomorrow, but might have to to reconnect with some of these folks (and more) a bit. Looking forward to the race on Monday, the weather forecast is looking great. As I told Perch tonight... as long as there's no ice and snow, I'm good!
                          TammyinGP

sounds like you are having so much fun already Erika! I'm envious!!

Tammy