Masters Running

Sunday Wet Runs...Could be worse "Not Running" (Read 458 times)

I had the extreme pleasure today of accompanying a good friend on his first marathon (Flying Pig). He asked me to be his pacer, to use my Garmin to keep him on an even pace, not let him start out to fast or get too slow, and to bring him in hopefully before 4:30.
    Now this is pretty darn amazing, Holly. Seems like just yesterday you introduced yourself on CoolRunning, and now you're marathoner enough to be a pacer! Makes me wish I were 20 years younger so you could pace me. (Actually, there are a lot of things that make me wish I were 20 years younger, but what can you do?) Big grin Congratulations on Maniac status, too. A real accomplishment!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Well said Rochrunner! Way to go Holly...sounds like you had a great time and your friend made it through in fine shape. High five my friend! Nice placing there wildchild and PDR too! Lots of racing today and the spring season has just begun! Tallrunner---you are blazing. wow. Enke, I think it's amazing that you ran a marathon at all after battling what sounded like bubonic plague there for awhile. Like Evryday said....forget the beautiful part. Congratulations!....you trained hard and went for it no matter what. That's rockin' in my book. CNYrunner
      TheSaint

Oh good, saw a couple RRs thrown in here today so I can follow suit. Today I ran the Heels and Hills Half Marathon. It was the second time for this race, I also ran it last year. My training went well, but Thursday my back started giving me some problems. It never really improved and yesterday I was thinking of canning this race. I ran a bit yesterday to try it out and it never got any worse so I thought I'd give it a try. This morning I took some Aleve (on an empty stomach) and the good news is for the next few hours the upset stomach took my mind off the bad back. My running buddy met me at 7 miles and ran me in which was a blessing and Ribs was waiting and cheering me at the finish. I don't know the official time, but it was in the 2:23 range which is what I did last year as well. Last week I would have been very disappointed in this time, but considering how I felt the past few days and my Aleve experience this morning I'm pleased. The weather could not have been more perfect. The fun aspect of this race is it's probably about 98% women.
          No, no, no I shall spare you the grisly details for a little while. Just trying to recover here. More fun to come tonight. Smile Holly, you are awesome, enough said.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

dg.

what a day!!! thanks Twocat. great to see you're back. hope DW's knees are ok. Hi SR Smile. happy sigh for both you & for the Saint... thanks CNY. wtg, Tall, congrats Wildchild! and PDR! Perch, glad you got what you NEEDED. running for the cure Wink nice run, Hallar. happy anniversary! funny about the memory. we've both admitted having to check the calendar for the date. Holly, just amazing!! Big grinBig grin the pacer. she's a maniac..... // is that the friend that had thought he wouldn't be able to keep running? thanks for asking! it started thursday, thought i handled it by backing off on cross-training. run fri. was ok, but later was kneeling to type. hurt all night friday then got up & did 2 yoga dvd's. Embarrassed (they're short). just sore yesterday & today. almost didn't go out this morning but couldn't do that to sadie. don't know if that little run made it any worse, really. I wouldn't have said all this (was going to email you) but i'd love any other opinions on whether or not i should run tomorrow. had already decided yes, but your question gave me pause. hearty applause for Enke. Saint L, Big grin. I'm so happy for you. It's really something to tough it out like that.. I think you should be very pleased! hope your back is ok. do you know what the problem is? i'll say it again. what a day. Smile
            busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Nice runs so far...speedy run Tall, you're ready for a great performance! Congrats to the racers today! Btw, pay the fine or not, you can still post a quickie race report! :-) I had two hours of running bliss today. I didn't clock it and went mostly unplugged. As it was pretty hilly, it occurred to me that instead of trying to not get too punished by hills we can flip it around. I punished one of my favorite hills, speeding up as I progressed. Rolling over the top it felt soo great and energizing! I know photos never show hill steepness, but here is an 11% grade 'victim' from today.
              -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
              also on Twitter

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

holliena - what a great finale for a Marathon Maniac qualifying streak to be for someone else. enkalina - you can run but you can't hide and since we all met you at the Seattle Marathon we know that nothing about you isn't anything but pretty and nothing you do could have anything to do with grisly. Now with your first marathon with the legends, we look forward to seeing you on some out-and-backs back here in Seattle too. As for me, after a three week taper since 29 miles in the Mt. Si 50-mile, with friends running in Eugene, Vancouver and Spokane (Bloomsday), my walk up to the last day of the tulip fields festivals with momentos from each event lasted 19 miles before my ride came. (ETA corrected mileaage from log map) ETA - posie - I tried to pretend I was up in the Methows but it wasn't working much running along Aurora Avenue. Besides your doing the Sunflower's mountainous 21.7 miles in marathon time had nothin' to do with walking. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Congrats to the Saint for a well ran Half Mary Tongue. I like the name of your event...Heels and Hills, is this a women's only event? Holly, well done in your pacing task. Can you come out here and pace me to a 4:30 also? I always knew you were a marathon maniac. Big grin Enkie, enkie, enkie....you are in trouble.... Evil grin Tall, Great training run you had today Cool It is so great to see all the good news coming from Eugene. Well done my friends. Taper Boy great 22 miler there today. You could have come to the Methow and walk the trail with me yesterday. Do we know how bregger did? Busiman, I love to hear that you had an unplugged,fantastic LR today. It is fun to be unplugged once in a while, isn't it?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Nice going Wild! Seemom, good for you and the kids! A runner and a talker, same as my household (except they are the same person). Enke, I always say about marathoners, you have to respect the distance. No matter the time, given the lead up issues, you did well. PDR, good for you on the win, and congrats to you and Lou for volunteering today. You two are awesome. Holly, good you helped someone else. Now please abandon the Maniac thing, recover, and set a sensible goal for the fall. Time for a break now. And yes, I am very proud of the Saint, not because she ran the Half, but because she ran it after some adversity, and that really impressed me today. The back story: I came racing down in my car to watch the finish and realized I had forgotten my camera. "Oh no, I am getting a divorce!" I thought. Then I saw the president of the Dallas Running Club, one of the neatest ladies in the metroplex. "Please, please take a couple of pictures of my wife when she comes in, I'm begging you." Well she did. And you know how when you and I get a picture we always looked like a roped calf with both our feet right next to each other? The Saint had them both off the ground and at full stride. How I love this woman! (The Dallas Running Club president I mean.) I talked to hally this afternoon, and she was kind enough to put me on the phone with Mustang, Sans Souci, Econo and Tammy, and I got a nice debrief of their outstanding performances today. I am so happy for all of them. Nice BQ MS, great Half Tammy, nice 9 minute PR Econo, and SS ran them all in! What great athletes. Spareribs
                      Flying Pig Half Marathon Today, Finished 1:56:42 Not quite the time I was hoping for a sub 1:54. The Pig is mostly flat the first 5 miles with just some short rolling hills. Then miles 5-8 are mostly uphill but the hills were not as steep as I had anticipated. I got to mile 5 at my goal of 44:30 then to mile 8 at 1:13:35. My goal at mile 8 was 1:13:00, so I was a little behind schedule. I wanted mile 10 in 1:30 but I got there in 1:31:25. That 2 miles was pretty flat and I felt good but failed to pick up the pace as I wanted Confused The last 5K has a couple of long downhills that I wanted to fly down but despite feeling painfree and not tired , my feet just wouldn't go any faster down the hills. So I just kept running and went "wee, wee, wee all the way to the finish swine". Wink That time is 16 minutes from my old PR's but better than my last 3 halfs since my hip problems, so I'm satisfied with the result. Cool My training error was not enough speed work, I think I needed more 1/2 mile repeats at 5k pace. If I had the race over I would push up the hills faster because they weren't as steep as I'm used to. Either way I'm sure I would have got the same medal Roll eyes The great news is I don't think I'll have any problem squatting behind the plate tomorrow. Big grin DW had 2:20:21? Which was right on her goal of sub 2:21 Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

No running for me today, but <ahem> I WENT KAYAKING FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR TODAY!!! Big grin Big grin Big grin For those of you who don't know the back story, kayaking was my "gateway" sport (drug?) to running and I LIVE for kayak season to begin. It was only an hour and it was on a little river near my friend's house rather than on "my" bay, but for one beautiful hour, I was floating and paddling. Summer is a-comin' in, loudly sing WHOO HOO!!!! I missed my mileage goal by 2 miles this week, but I'm OK with that. I felt good enough after yesterday's second-ever 8-mile run that I could have managed to run 2 today, but one hour of kayaking the first weekend in May was well worth being only 2 miles behind in my training plan. And I don't have to be at school for a single evening this week (can I get another whoo hoo?), so I'll easily get those 2 miles done. Wow, lots of amazing racing going on today in boomer land. Holly - you're definitely a maniac. I'm overwhelmed with how quickly it seems like you've progressed in your running. Wild - way to go on the AG. Enke - 26.2 is a fantastic accomplishment no matter what. deez4 - glad your back is behaving after trying out the TM One of the women in my (soon to be disbanded) chamber choir ran the Broad Street Run in Philly today. Some of us got talking before rehearsal and we realized that four of us are runners and we all promised to meet up at the Philly Distance Run (HM) in the fall. So now I've gone public with that plan both in cyberspace and among real people. Guess I might as well just register and get it over with. Smile Eliz </ahem>

flomotioncoaching.com

Renee the dog

Seven miles in the fog tonight with the babysitter and Renee. Renee now has her own running collar -- it has 2 red lights on it to keep her visible at night. Babysitter was s-l-o-w tonight. It's fun being 40+ and kicking 17 yr old derriere once in awhile. Makes me feel like I'm still 17. Tongue Great to read the mini-race reports even if they're a fine-able offense. Off to read the other RR postings! Good night to all and good runs/cross-training tomorrow!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yep, Eliz, you HAVE to register for the HM now!! We will all hold you accountable. That's great you can kayak now!
                            wildchild

Carolyn

I like those small races as well. They are always a great place to meet other runners and get a medal. Big grin
                              I didn't get a medal - I got a blue ribbon. Roll eyes The nicest thing I've won (for 2nd in my AG at a 5K) was a beer glass with the name of the race on it. DH said, "Hey, you won me a beer glass!" I did make a new friend, though - the woman who won the 60+ age group award. She ran it in 25:something, and the second place in her age group must have been a walker, since her time was 49:something. We talked before the race, and sat together at the end when waiting for our awards. My age group had 8 people, but only 3 were runners and the other 5 were walkers, judging by times. Oh, well, 1st of 3 is darn good for slowpoke me. Cool Holly, I can't believe you're a maniac! It seems like not long ago you were saying how slow you run, and fretting about your first marathon being too short. You're an inspiration to all of us, with your indefatigable spirit. Seemom, how cool that you ran a 5K with your DD! My DD keeps stopping and starting the C25K due to bronchitis and school activities that interfere, but I hope she finishes it someday soon. Maybe you and I and our daughters can meet for a local race someday - I'd really like that. PDR, congrats on your trophy! And so nice that you and Lou volunteered at the race today. Volunteers rock! Halllar, congrats on the "little" 20 miler. What was little about it? Wink Sarge, you're a flying pig for sure! Nice race! Saint, glad to hear the stomach issues took your mind off your back, but that doesn't sound fun. Way to push through it for a finish. Spareribs, how about posting the picture the running club president took of the Saint? (With her permission, of course.)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Sarge....still a very respectable time....and a very good effort. Looks like the DW had a good day also! wildchild...Winning your AG!! Congrats! Your fine is on me. Anyone winning the AG deserves to break a rule or two!!
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM