Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 10.11.12 (Read 358 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

Slo, I agree with the rest of yesterday's posters that it is great to see how much you have loved and respected your grandmother, and how much you've paid attention over the years to all that she has done with and for you. You are lucky to have such a woman in your life.

More gorgeous photos yesterday, Mariposai!

Fencing tricks for short people, eh Paavo? I'll bet you've got agility and speed that'll surprise a lot of the bigger folk.

Welcome back, Henry! Keep up the good, slow build-up, and you'll do fine.

Twocat, you're not excited about that final lecture, are you?? I hope you and DW have a blast in Amsterdam!

Up at 4, out the door at 4:15 this morning. It was 46F, mostly clear and dry, with a fairly stiff breeze from the west. Because of the wind, I was glad to have a nylon vest on, along with my lightweight gloves (yep- these are the hands that get cold way too easily). Because it had been blowing all night there were a billion pine needles (well, I stopped counting at 2,35 trillion...) along the sides of the road, which made the going slippery at times. So I stayed toward the middle of the roads when I could. I had the wind at my back for miles 2-4.5, but then was into it (for some resistance training) for the rest of the way. More technique work today, with splits in the mid-11s, going to the low 11s.

So, the lead sponsor for an upcoming half gets 5 free race entries for their contribution. They've used them, but now they want 6 more! Their donation is sizable ($10K), but how far do you bend the rules, if at all? The 6 extra entries are worth $390 at $65 each. It is this year's beneficiary's contact, not the race organization's, so we need to balance what will help the beneficiary with what is fair for the race, and for the other race sponsors. There's always something...

Enjoy your Thursday!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

..mornin' jay/////

========

twocat//........thanks for the comment,

I plan to re-schedule if I don't get the PT I asked for

when he said

''let me show you

what this stretch is SUPPOSED to feel like'' should have tipped me off

I think this was a line

The Spanish Inquisition used a lot

like a Newbie

I just thought he was going to follow the PT Plan my Original PT had laid out.

........Fun-5 Moves today

a little x-bike to loosen things up

.........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mari-It's nice to be running again...Maybe I'll make it back over there for the Autumn Leaf Run another year...

3 miles in the early morning mist...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

48F

5 miles with friends. First real run since The Fall.

Got back from Myrtle Beach on Tuesday afternoon. We had lovely weather and were able to "swim" in the ocean because the temperature of the water was fantastic. Also, it was pretty calm. My shoulder hurt every day but started getting better by the time we left. I tried running Friday morning but, that really aggravated things so I settled on walking. 

Actual swimming would have been impossible but, standing out in the sea, letting the salt water wash over me, was good enough. The ocean is so healing.

Did not even try to swing a golf club.

So I was happy that I was able to run with the gals this morning with only one little walk break. (I got tired).

I did not check the daily while I was OOT. Hope all is well with everyone.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jay--tough balance.  But it's your own fault for running such a great race that everyone wants in.  Wink  I would say that you'll probably have that many folks at least not show up and use that for some moral wiggle room?

2.1 miles in 3 hotel loops this morning.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Ah, the dreaded "hotel loops."  I know that workout well.

Good to see the shoulder is coming along Barb.

I've been out of touch since I just got back from Cleveland.  Didn't log on here.

Yankee fans have to really hand it to Joe Girardi.  Takes a bold manager to pinch hit for A-Rod, and it sure paid off.  Poor O's are in trouble now.

5 miles easy at the Park with my RP, now back to work.

Ek's birthday is tomorrow.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

me too one of these days lynden.

Tweekatje - I’d be interested if you see any traditional schoen for aanrijden schoeisel over there, e.g. wooden clogs like the wooden geta some runners sometimes run in in Japan.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

4.3 miles in the dark.

My plan to switch to evening running is just not working, too pooped that time of day.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Actual swimming would have been impossible but, standing out in the sea, letting the salt water wash over me, was good enough. The ocean is so healing.

I am envious....Smile

Enke - me, too.  I have tried a few times, but am just so pooped by then my resolve quickly leaves me.  The few times I have managed it, my legs usually feel dead and I run very slow.

5 miles for me this morning in 35 degrees.  Took me a while to remember what I wear at that temperature, but I got it pretty close.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

I am envious....Smile 

++  have to wait until next summer for the ocean again........

last night I ran a around 3 miles in the dark. it felt wonderful as the rain had stopped and it was warm, but not humid.   today I RAL with a super negative split because of the wind for the first half.

can't comment any more - conference call in 5 minutes

marj

aka FlyingFinn

4 hilly country road miles in sparkling sunshine. Birds and crickets and wind in the leaves were all I heard for most of it. Wish we could bottle up beautiful fall days like this.

Jay, exactly; our instructor wants me to use those things to make up for size. tomwhite, I learned what it means to "get in" last night. You flick your blade and quickly beat the weak part of their blade. Their tip moves far off to the side and you quickly lunge at the wide open target area you just created. If they parry you do a quick disengage. This might work on geese, too, if done gently, in a humane way.

Rosie, I'm glad your shoulder is feeling better.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

...Nothing Humane about a Goose paavo,

or

''Satan's HandPuppets''

as I call 'em

but remind me not to challege you to a duel

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Loving the banter between Paavo and tomwhite!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

TammyinGP

Good Afternoon.

Haven't run since Monday and won't be able to today either. Last XC meet and then Districts next week. Just pulled up rankings and David is ranked the 20th 7th grader in the state of Oregon. not too shabby for first year out.  Since today's temps are cooler (80) than we've had at any meet so far, he should have another good race.

Taking tomorrow off to get outdoor projects done. Sort of that last mad scramble to get things done before we start getting rain, which should happen on Monday.

Running a race with david on saturday. he's doing a 5K and I'm running a 10K. Coach gave him the okay to run this race but with districts next thursday told him to hold back a bit and only give 80%. i know my son. ain't gonna happen!  he's too competitive.  I think it'll be a good tune-up race for districts next week.

Slo, I enjoyed reading your tribute to your grandmother. It was very touching.

Tammy

Tammy, as excited as I was about my own race the other day, I'm more excited hearing about David's races!  Resting today.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me