Masters Running

Does anyone skip winter running? (Read 410 times)

I am considering skipping winter running. I have come to the conclusion that I hate winter runs. I have lived in new england for 7 years. I never acclimated to winter here. I dread running outside. I am either injured during winter or just sore. Running outside does nothing for me and I suffer with asthma, cold, runny nose and achy muscles. I get nothing positive from it and am just miserable the whole time.

I might run the treadmill in winter or the indoor track.

Anyone else give up on winter running?

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

wildchild

Carolyn

If I gave up on winter running, that would only leave like 4 months open!  We can have snow on the ground from Oct - May.  But we have lots of clear sunny days in the winter, and I enjoy being outside except when it's really cold and/or windy.  But  I guess New England doesn't have much sunshine in winter? That can make a difference. If you hate it, stay inside.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

#artbydmcbride

Running on a treadmill is still running!  Smile

Runners run

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dear tsunami,

I'm not a winter runner either.  Winter is for bundling up for skiing and summer is for shorts and running.

However, instead of dreading the winters you're not used to, maybe try to embrace and enjoy it.  High tech clothing will keep you warm and x-country skiing is excellent x-training for running in the spring time.  There's even winter tri's with skiing in lieu of cycling.  Even with novice-level skiing, your swimming and running will make you competitive.  

Planning a springtime event schedule to look forward to and therapeutic postings herein to keep in contact with others who love their winter running same as we do in the summer helps pass the time too.

Othewise, listen to ilene, . . . and jump in the pool with erika too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hi Laurie -- running should be fun and make you feel better after not worse so if you feel that  miserable with outdoor winter running i vote for running indoors and/or lots of cross-training......life is too short to be miserable!! 

you are a great athlete - do  what makes you happy and healthy!!

denise

MM #7877

I also have asthma. I'm OK in the mid 20's and above. But if the temps get into the teens, my breathing gets difficult. The inhalers work only so well.  Plus with my work hours - I'm also an evening runner. SO I do a lot of treadmill miles in the winter.

Philippians 4:13.

HappyFeat

Running on a treadmill is still running!  Smile

Certainly is.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

The key to winter running for me is to find the right location to do it. Our NE Ohio winter doesn't normally allow much snow melting so once it starts it keeps piling up.  There's a beautiful park,, 15-20 mile drive for me, that keeps roads well maintained for winter running, the park also provides plenty of hills so we drive there 2 times a week I still run on the treadmill twice a week sometimes three when the roads are unsafe.

I really like the adventure of winter running. I do not mind the cold but I do realize the extra danger of running on snowy/icy roads. I would have no trouble adjusting to skis

DfromBG I think the treadmill is the only hill in your town

Run Well, Be Safe

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

coastwalker

Hi Laurie,

I agree that if running outdoors in the winter makes you unhappy and uncomfortable, then you should find an alternate way of staying in shape, be it with other outdoor activities, or indoor running and/or other sports.

I don't have asthma to deal with and I don't mind the cold as long as I can keep moving, so I get outside on most winter days, even here in NH. It's just a matter of dressing for the weather, and making sure I warm up adequately before starting my workouts. I also try to plan at least one significant outdoor race in the winter to provide extra motivation for getting out as often as I can.

I go to an indoor track with a training group at least twice a month, and it is nice to get back into shorts and a shirt on those days. It's a small track (12 laps/mile), but I'd much rather be on that than a dreadmill.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks all.

I tried hard to acclimate this winter. But I just dont have it. Most new englanders deal with the cold a lot better than I do. My family has a hard time with it too. But when its 90 degrees and humid all the true new englanders are inside with their AC on and I am outside mowing with a reel mower happy as can be.

So i am giving up on winter running. Theres nothing in it for me but stress. When spring comes I try again. Until then its treadmill, track and swimming.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm with Ilene - the TM is still running....so is the indoor track....it's all good.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."