Masters Running

The Wednesday Daily, 3.29.17 (Read 38 times)

dg.

Paul is "last dog" kind of like a "last marathon"?   :  )

I am over the top tired today so apologies ahead of time for muzziness....

tw.    75 min. in 2 lb. trail boots?    is that anything like prnb??       how are things post hip fixing?

thanks as always, Jay, & thanks for the book update.  I was interested, but am also backlogged, so may skip it....    
    yay for 7.3 in mizzle.

5.84 mizzleless miles w/hillage, 30F.     sun shining birds singing.         which means I was not out there at 4:30.    left knee hurt but my back was ok!

Leslie thanks for explaining the POD.  I almost mentioned it yesterday but wasn't sure on the terms or the details.  I think it's a good thing to have set up... I spent hours (actual!) at the bank trying to change the accounts beneficiary to the trust, but after they finally figured out what a POD was, & we went round & round...     they told me their policy was that no one but the account holder could change the beneficiary, even with my POA.

(((Nancy)))....   I'm so sorry.

But glad about your run.

Erika, thank you.    I'm really glad to be here.

back to work.

happy day to all

TammyinGP

For whatever reason, I have to hit the "Bold" button type a letter or two then go back and unbold and start over, and then I can post from work.  Geesh!  You'd think there was a conspiracy of some sort to get me to get my work done! 

I would love to have a larger-than-small-but-smaller-than-medium sized dog as a running buddy, but (1) I don't think our cats would appreciate an interloper, (2) cats are way easier to deal with when going on vacation, etc. (even though we always get a house/cat sitter), and (3) The Hub isn't much of a dog person. He doesn't dislike them, but he'd rather have cats.  And he's voiced the opinion that once all of our current cats are gone, no more pets. Except for the first 3 years of our marriage, I have always had at least one pet in my life.  I can't imagine life without them, so we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. 

Hi, Milktruck.

you could always consider temporary foster of a shelter dog. that way, no long term commitment which might work for Shorty, and you get a running partner for a little while at least. and it'd give the cats something entertaining to do for awhile - plot ways to torment the dog and then when dog is done staying with you, cats have that satisfaction of succeeding in their plot to rid the house of that filthy canine and knowing that once again, they really do Rule the House. 

and for your typing discovery - - um, how do you even discover that this is what you need to do?  It never would have crossed my mind to follow those steps. lol

Tammy

evanflein

Jumping in, I think I can assist...

Do you mean in your log...like your 2200 in 2017 goal?  If so, in the far upper right of your log (usually off the screen), there is an Edit Layout button.  Click that, and you'll see you can edit the goal by clicking the pencil icon which will be enabled on the goal itself.  When done with all your updates, click the Save Layout in the far upper right.

(Eric made the Edit Layout deliberately hard to get to so that it wouldn't get accidentally selected by users on tablets or phones as they scrolled with their thumb)

...back to the daily topics w/out me interloping.

Thank you milktruck and Tammy! I was so annoyed with myself because I've done it before and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do it. There. Goal adjusted to 2,000 miles. I was coming to the realization that being so far behind the pace bunny was demoralizing (dumb, I know) and my OCD would kick in sooner or later and I'd end up hurting myself (again). So, there, now I'm only about 150 miles behind. 

When we had two cats awhile ago (Midnight and Janet), DH said when one died he'd like to be just a one cat family. Well, Janet died suddenly, and then DS2 got a kitten. She melted DH's heart and we ended up pretty much adopting her (all in the same house, but still). Then Socksie disappeared one night in 2012 (just before Holly came up to run the Equinox!) and we were heartbroken. I never got over it, and went to the shelter in 2013 to find a kitten. Came home with a crabby 14 year old tabby. So now we had two old cats. Sure enough, DH says when one dies lets just be a one cat family. A couple years later, Midnight dies at 17 1/2. Not two months later, DH sees a cat hanging around our house in late October as it's getting cold and snowy out. He decides to get a humane trap and trap her. That was November 2, 2015. We still have her. So you see, all this "one cat family" stuff is just an exercise in futility on his part. Now Abby is fading but still doing ok at 18. He's already talking about getting a kitten to give Emma something to do other than ambush poor old blind and deaf Abby. Seriously, it's not me.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I think I forgot to post yesterday. OOPS

8 hilly miles yesterday and 3 yucky treadmill miles today.

Have a happy Wednesday

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

''tw.    75 min. in 2 lb. trail boots?    is that anything like prnb??       how are things post hip fixing?''

=================

...hi dg//..........glad to see you're working-out

yeah,

since I have ANOTHER hip with OA I had to stop Running

so

I try to make the work-outs as hard as I can

since

the ball-joint on the OTHER hip is flaring up from time to time

, I'm not complaining about stopping as much as I used to

.........good running to ya, but back-off if you need to.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

pfriese

Paul is "last dog" kind of like a "last marathon"?   :  )

Yeah dg, it is especially when you consider after my 1st marathon I said "never again". I think I'm coming up on marathon #32 in April!

Paul

Tammy - I don't remember why I clicked "Bold" in the first place, but it works.  And I have enough problems with 5 cats without throwing a dog into the mix at this point.  And poor Wilson, he'd be so freaked out, he'd probably lick the rest of the hair off his body (he already has a bare belly because of excessive licking).

DG - You are correct, nobody can change a beneficiary to an asset except the original owner.  This keeps people from screwing with other people's assets . . . theoretically.

Erika - 4 of our 5 cats are because of The Hub. 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

and for your typing discovery - - um, how do you even discover that this is what you need to do?  It never would have crossed my mind to follow those steps. lol

like poke salad!   
                  "Pick and wash poke salad, bring to a rapid boil for 20 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold tepid water. Bring to a rapid boil, starting with cold water, for a second boil for 20 minutes. Again drain and rinse with cold tepid water. Now for the third time, starting over cold tepid water bring to a rapid boil for 20 more minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Let drain completely."

this way, it doesn't make you sick.    third time's the charm!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Fortuitous morning meetings prevented

serious violation of. Running Rule no. 1 - rats!

Tramps - maybe take away tribee's socks

for the next one, If not shoes too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I decided to run my long run today, 20 miles (what was I thinking!) and then run the HM on Sunday. No, coastwalker and stumpy77 I am not going to add 6 miles.

On posting, you can cure some issues (not on a cell phone ) by clicking on the <> button. That will bring up the underlying HTML code. If you edit that directly you can often solve whatever issue you are having. If you want to figure out how it works, go back to a prior post of yours and click on the <>. You can then see what HTML tags are around what parts of your text. Here are the most common ones you are likely to encounter: <strong> starts bold, </strong> ends bold, <p> means start a paragraph and </p> ends it and &nbsp; means create a space. That last one (the &nbspWink seems kind of unnecessary given the limits on how the forum works, but you will see it.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

DG - You are correct, nobody can change a beneficiary to an asset except the original owner.  This keeps people from screwing with other people's assets . . . theoretically.

Actually no, in Ohio this can often be done by POA, but the POA in place must have special "Hot Powers."  People think all POAs are the same but there are many things a regular POA will not allow you to do, such as self-gifting, establishing trusts, etc, and only a POA with those "Hot Powers" will allow the extra privileges.

Leslie - you are smart to think about estate planning that includes pet planning (something our documents offer as an option).  There are ways people can provide for their pets in the event of, well, you getting hit by a truck.

I have had so many new cases to analyze, make eligible and then file for Medicaid and VA benefits this month, I am pretty sure the boss thinks I am wearing a cape.  My cases, the cases I work all by myself (me, the paralegal), have already brought in $108,000 to the firm, and it's barely the end of March.  This is beyond needing Doritos and a glass of wine - I think it's time for a serious hot fudge sundae!  Medicinal ice cream sometimes really goes the distance for stress relief.....

5 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

15 hilly miles on the bike after work.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Debbie's daughter loves all animals and has a few cats.  I'm not sure how, but we ended up with a kitten a few years ago, and this thing was a devil cat--it was pure evil!  With Debbie doing daycare in the house, we just couldn't keep it because we were afraid it would hurt one of the kids.  So, Debbie's daughter took it home and told her husband that Debbie was allergic to it.  So, one day, we were at their house and Debbie was petting their cats and he asked her if being around their cats was bothering her allergies...Debbie said, "What allergies?"  Luckily, he had already grown attached to the cat.

After working my butt off, last week, and just barely being able to complete my 8 miles of tempo at goal pace, I thought, "There is no way I will be able to do this again, next week, AND add another mile to it!"  But--I actually beat that goal pace by 5 seconds each.  So--9 miles of tempo sandwiched between 1.5 miles of warm up and 1.5 miles of cool down for a total of 12 miles.

Okay--I'm beat.  Gotta get to bed.  See ya!

evanflein

I hate following Mike's posts about his runs. But oh well...

Another run along the road, which might be more common in the next few weeks as the huge amount of snow we have melts and there's ice all over the place. But, at least we have wide shoulders on the road. So, this is sort of a hilly route, and I figured I need more hill work anyway so why not. Still too many stops to rest (and quite frankly to move off the road a bit to let a wave of traffic go by), especially back up the big hill, but got it done. 6.5 miles, much slower than Mike.

wildchild

Carolyn

We've decided not to get another dog after our current pair, since we're retired and traveling a lot. But DD and DSIL are moving to Colorado, and they want a dog in the future, so at least I can get my dog fix thru them!

I've been doing almost zero running, but most days we walk at least a few miles, and some days a lot of miles, with lots of climbing, so hopefully my running fitness isn't suffering too much. I'll have to do some serious training when I get home to be ready for a 50k in June!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.