Masters Running

Friday, 8.26.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

That's a pretty close call with that tornado, Lori. I'm sorry for the homes and buildings it hit, but I'm glad it stayed away from you.

I have a banana when I get back from every workout, but I've never liked banana splits. I don't know what that means, if anything. I do, however, like margaritas and tacos!

Good grab with the mirror, LaT.

Nice runs/workouts Lori, Aamos, TwoCat (maybe), Holly, Enke, TomW, LaT (nope - no hills in NH), WildChild (with burro!), Starr, and Evanflein (who is going to Hartford in Oct. for a RA meet-up!).

A local runner/writer writes a weekly column on various aspects of running for our local newspaper. His column for this week has some good information and reminders:  http://www.seacoastonline.com/article/20160824/SPORTS/160829599/0/SEARCH

We got a replacement head for our kitchen faucet yesterday. It was supposed to have taken about 10 days for us to get it, but it took over a month. The button on the old one that allowed us to switch between spray and stream was stuck, and so we've had a weak flow of water either way for quite some time. With the new one installed, it is going to take DW and I a few days to get used to the new forceful flow. It's one of those little things that will make a big difference.

In addition to picking up the bench yesterday, I helped move some reasonably-heavy equipment, and hurt my back somewhere along the way. It feels like I have a big knot in my lower back on the right side. I'm letting it calm down a bit before I try to work it out. Maybe I'll try to get in to see my massage therapist this afternoon - she's got very strong hands and is good at breaking up muscle knots (and creating some pretty intense short-term pain in the process). Meanwhile, no workout for me this morning.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!  I'm on way to my first cross country meet as a coach!  I get excited over the littlest things.  I love these kids!  We had team pictures, this morning.  So far, I'm still hanging out in the background watching the head coach and other assistants do their thing...they've been together for about 10 years and they work pretty well together.  I wish I could run like I want to run, though.  This stupid hamstring injury, while getting better, is really limiting me in what I want to do.

In other news....ahh, who cares....it's all depressing.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Hubs and I did 10 miles last night after I got home from work at midnight in preparation for NC24 next month. I am not even close to being ready. Oh well. Should be a good time anyway. As good a time as any 24 hour race can be. lol.

This afternoon we are travelling to my brother's cottage in Michigan and will be able to attend the Woodstock training run tomorrow. That should be fun. I am not much of a trail runner. But as long as I don't get lost it will be a blast.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

mrrun

Another 15 mile bike ride this morning along the Charles away from Boston.  As you go father inland, the drought is much more evident as the river is really shallow.    Saw two blue herons where I've never seen them before, also a couple of new parks out of reclaimed land.

have a great w/e!

marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, all.  Still not a run today--woke up with a very sore couple of toe joints that seems to flare up from time to time.  Hurts like heck for a day or so, then goes away   Probably should get it checked out at some point.

We're going to have to replace something at home--just a bit bigger than jay's fauscet, however.  After only 33 years, our washing machine has broken such that I don't think I can fix it.  The base has rusted out under one of the supports and the tub is cocked off to one side.  It's a commercial Maytag that we got from DW's uncle after he closed a laudramat that he owned about 40 years ago.  It's seen a good life.  Guessing that they've changed a bit in that interval--not looking forward to price or getting it out of the basement.

Glad you're healing, Mike, even if it's too slow for your taste.  Don't show off and regress now.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

'mornin' all,

cloudy this am, but could still see a pretty sunrise.....really taking this week as a substantial "cut back" week, dang quads still not completely 100% and I want to get in my Sunday Speedsters over the bridge at dawn run......so just 3.7, but running at least.

As I've noted before, I love blue herons.  I think it's due in part to their shyness.

"America's Test Kitchen" is on later--anyone else listen?  I like it, but am beginning to think the host is a bit conceited.  Say, "This American Life" is focusing on the Missouri Public Defender Chief who, utilizing a Missouri law authorizing him to appoint any member of the bar to take a case when necessary, appointed the Governor when the Chief's pleas for help with too-huge caseloads were ignored.  I'll be listening!

Speaking of the bridge [see 1st paragraph], which goes over the river, DH and I are considering moving to a place "down by the river."  Funny, as Ft. Myers is all about the beaches (Sanibel, Captiva in addition to FMB)-- but I sort of fell in love with the river.  Just north of downtown and in the midst of all the downtown high rises there is a 20 unit, 5 story building fronting the river.  Should be some pretty sunsets.  So we're checking it out.

.......oh, and each condo has its own boat slip, so if we move there and anyone has a boat, you can dock it for free!

There's a neighborhood right across the street, Dean Park, that's on the National Register of Historic Places. It reminds me a little of where we lived in Rapid City in that it includes all kinds of houses, including Craftsman bungalows — some custom-made and others from Sears, Roebuck— as well as homes designed in the Spanish, Mediterranean, English Tudor and colonial revival styles.  It would be fun to run in there.

And it was started in the 19-teens by a Rhode Island fellow, John Morgan Dean, so a number of the streets are named after Rhode Island and its cities and towns.

DH's bday is Sept 2 so we're finally going to Dayton for the Air Force run in mid September.  (He's been looking at that for about 8 years now)   -----And maybe entice Holly out for lunch if she can fit us into her schedule!  We'll get an extra chair so you can elevate that pesky knee.

Hoping for a festive and run-filled Friday night party.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun

We really enjoyed the air force museum - and Holly's company when we there (not for marathon tho)

looking forward to october meet-up - i'm probably running 5k on sunday with DD & GD1&2, so can we make it before the marathon??

TammyinGP

Good Luck to your XC team, Mike! Although, they don't need luck as I'm sure they are well trained and prepped for this meet! I bet David would still be a runner if he had a coach like you!

No banana splits for us the other day. But today is National Dog Day and I'm sure we'll celebrate that. Although I guess we always do since so much of time revolves around them anyways. 

Good thing Ribs expressed his only complaint about the video's of the push up challenge the other day. He'll probably be a bit more pleased today when he watches Holly's vid. Smile 

Off for a company playday on the river today, but then I'm coming back to work after that to finish up a few things before I take all of next week off.

Tammy

evanflein As of now I will be in CT the weekend of the Hartford Marathon. You will be coming down from Boston from the sound of things (about 5 hours from where I actually live). Hartford is about 3 hours away. You and  La Tortuga should keep in the loop about your plans. By the way if you circle down to New York (or go to Boston via New York) you will pass by my house and you are welcome to stay, show up dinner, whatever might work with your travel schedule.

Reminder: We might have an opening for the Reach the Beach Relay team due to an injury. We leave for the starting line on Thursday 9/15. The race runs through New Hampshire. If you are interested send me a note via RA's message system and I can fill you in on additional details. We have 4 RA runners help make it 5!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

ribs, it was good to have you post.  My thoughts are with you with your heart issues.  I hope they can be readily resolved.  wild, neat run with the burro.

Nice long runs for Twocat and bertha.

Yesterday morning, i did 3 miles at an 11:29 pace.  In the afternoon, I went to Flint to work at the expo for the Crim handing out bibs.  Tomorrow, I'm doing the 5K version of the race.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

looking forward to october meet-up - i'm probably running 5k on sunday with DD & GD1&2, so can we make it before the marathon??

Marj, we get in on Thursday morning, so if it's ok with LaT maybe Thursday night? We head to Hartford on Friday and I think we're coming back to her place after the race on Saturday so Sunday might be free, too (after your 5k). We head to VA on Monday.

So I recall several years ago when I was having metatarsal problems, the pads to support that area helped for awhile, and then started to feel like they were aggravating it. Felt that way again. So I took them out of all my shoes and *voila* my foot is feeling much better! Ran 8 miles today and it didn't complain too much at all. So, fingers crossed, I'm on the way back! This run gets me to 21 miles and change by Friday, which is the first time in a long time for that!

Mariposai

Glad to read about another RA meet up in the fall.

Hartford should be gorgeous in the fall.

4 miles for me today with the Easy Pacer. Tomorrow is a long run as a prep for Portland.

Cheers,

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey MikeE, that's why we love running so much.

speaking of rivers, two-and-a-half hours of shallow stream running today after GS wearing his new waders trying to keep up the salmon trying to get away.  Very, very tiring but he patiently waited as I caught up or he'd switch from a downstream heading to splashing his way back upstream with the splashing salmon while his daddy fished the shoreline.  He fell down three times in the 100' wide creek but the waders kept him try.  Me twice but my high-tops (aka shoepacs out here) didn't keep me dry at all.  No wonder I love running so much.

huh? is  marj coming to Portland too.

I would to love one of my twilight years

marathons with her, unless she starts

training too much for the next one.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Stumpy, take the washing machine out in pieces.

Aamos, you and DH certainly get around.

SteveP

mrrun

Marj, we get in on Thursday morning, so if it's ok with LaT maybe Thursday night? We head to Hartford on Friday and I think we're coming back to her place after the race on Saturday so Sunday might be free, too (after your 5k). We head to VA on Monday.

good news on the foot.  Tet - this is east coast not portland

We could do either thursday or sunday late afternoon as our 5K is in NH, so I think we should find out what's good for the other locals