Masters Running

any type 2 diabetic runners? any experience with family members/friends who are type 2 and run? (Read 244 times)

lswife

After I retired and was getting too comfortable on the couch a year ago, my daughter got me interested in running. I finished the C25K program last June and could run fairly easily for 30-45 minutes the 3x a week. Then I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, put on a low-carb diet, and told to run more, 5-6x a week. I could still run the whole 30-45 minutes without too much problem. Blood pressure is now way down, and so are cholesterol and all those other things. However, I'm getting unmotivated by the week. Is the low-carb diet (usually followed, but not today - attended a big family event and ate mac and cheese, bread, etc.) sapping my energy? Running is getting getting harder to do. Last fall, I could run the 30 minutes consistently; since about January I run and walk and huff and puff. (I really don't run anymore; I run and walk and am slug-slow). I go to my doctor in a month and will mention all this to her. But until then, are any of you diabetics and can give me what works for you? FYI - I'm 60, have lost 30# and have more to go. I've been to diabetic ed classes, am on a lose dose of metformin, and am off running for a bit due to a foot injury. I know I will struggle to begin running again - it will be hard to start all over.
      ls...I'm not diabetic, so I don't know exactly what your going through...although my mother is diabetic, though not a runner. With that said 1. Congrats on the C2K! BP down, cholesterol down, lost 30 #...that's great! 2. heal up that foot. and don't run until doc says its ok 3. when you do get back to running, go slow. It doesn't matter the speed in which you run. 4. take walk breaks during your run if you feel it. 5. get mental with your running/exercising. Look to enjoy each outing. Be receptive to the joy and healing that running/walking/excercise brings. See the beauty. 6. Keep posting here. I've found great motivation with the folks in this masters forum.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Hi lswife, I can relate to part, but not all of your struggles. I'm Type 1, age 41, on an insulin pump, very insulin sensitive, and OK weight for my height (maybe not for running, but at least according to the charts). But I'm a runner who lives daily with the challenges of diabetes, and the emotional and physical ups and downs that come with that, just like you. First, congrats on having lost 30 lbs and getting your blood pressure and cholesterol down. That's no small accomplishment! What have you done to celebrate that? As for the carb issue, how low are you going on your carb intake? Also, how are your blood sugar readings? I'm not a big fan of ultra low carb diets, but carb controlled diets and reasonably healthy dietes are a must for most of us who live with diabetes, whether type 1 or 2. If your blood sugar is running too high or too low, that could be sapping your energy levels as well. As for motivation, I can only tell you what works for me. I see running as a refuge and a pleasure that I do in spite of diabetes. It is a nice side benefit that it is actually good for us. I do not think of it as "medicine" or even a way to control my diabetes. For me, it is actually harder to control when I run. So it's almost sort of like proving to myself that I can do it in spite of the diabetes. So I guess I would encourage you to try to think of running as separate from disease management. Embrace the cool breeze, the spring smells, the time to pray or sort your thoughts, the feeling of moving under your own power, or trying to better your time in a 5K (or run your first).
        Progress Trumps Pefection
        Rindaroo

Hey Roberta - Congrats on the weight loss & the lower numbers! That is awesome Smile as you know my dad is Type 1 (and in the past before all his problems, he was very active playing tennis in tournaments, for fun etc.) All I remember is that it really helped him, cuz I was a kid.... but he did do it a lot. I have had many issues with low blood sugar with running. If I start out too low, then I'm just exhausted and it just doesn't work. Typically for me (although I know it may be different for you), I do must better on a limited carb diet, too many carbs do me in sugarwise. But, I don't do a socalled lowcarb diet... a combo of protein/carbs actually work well for me (but more on the protein side) Do you have an idea of where you are at before a run? maybe testing your blood before you go might be a good idea a couple of times, to give you an idea of what is going on. Also, I'm wondering if your huffing & puffing is because you've lost endurance, and you need to slow down a little or do more walking vs running. Sometimes it just seems like we should be able to do it, but really that's not the level we're at. When I slow it down, do things like start over on the running program, and therefore get to my "real" level at this point in time, my motivation returns. Hang in there! experiment, talk to the doc & take care of yourself.
          lswife

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, all of you. Please don't think I was bragging about my weight loss and blood pressure/cholesterol/ etc. Since I was asking about my lack of energy as well as motivation, I wanted to let you know that I trying to do "right" on my part. carol41, thanks for the idea about keeping running separate from my diabetes management. Good mental approach, and it might bring back the fun I once had. evryday, you said just about the same thing as well as giving me good advice from things you learned from your mother. rindaroo - about my huffing and puffing may meaning to slow down . . . you're probably right. I won't worry about it anymore but will just go at my own pace. Thanks for the insights about my low carb meals. I'll check my bg right before running/walking and see what is going on. Usually, as some other type 2s have said, my bg goes higher after running for some reason but then lowers within a couple of hours. My meals are usually lower than 45 carbs, especially breakfast and lunch; snacks are not over 15 carbs. Thanks again. It took me a few weeks to admit to the diagnosis even to my family, several months to begin telling close friends, and I still haven't told, probably won't tell, my elderly mother and m-i-l. To admit it here in a sort of anonymous forum, took courage too, and I appreciate your courage in answering me.