Masters Running

Wed July 27 and the HHH continues (Read 35 times)

mrrun

As I slogged around the reservoir this morning, dripping more then the water in the reservoir, I tried to remember the frigid days of February and for some reason couldn't - each season brings it joys and unjoys. distance around 4

I'm off DL & running, because the orthopod said I could do whatever was comfortable  I had knee pain (I know who doesn't) and after MRI (to identify the torn meniscus) and Xray (to identify arthritis (who at 71 doesn't have), the doc said they can fix the tear but i'll still have pain from the arthritis.  so i've decided to delay surgery.  I had an mri 8 years ago and the pain went away, so i'm hoping the same thing will happen again.  according to doc, running/race walking/biking won't make it worse and is probably better for the arthritis.  shoes make no difference - wear whatever i'm comfortable in.  Posai - the PA had a shirt with butterflies all over it, which made us think of you.

stay cool and happy runs, walks, rides, and other activities

marj

Good morning Marj and all to follow. I'm glad you're off the DL. I can confirm that running and lifting weights - heck, any exercise in general - helps arthritis. My doctor says my back is full of it, and as I "age gracefully" I can feel it more in my hands and other areas. I always feel better if I stay active every day and find that it hurts more if I don't do anything at all.

Aamos, I'm so sorry to read about your friend's death. She was so young and a very free spirit. What a beautiful picture of her.

Saw some of Holly's vacation pictures on Facebook.  I think one of them is worthy of their Christmas card photo this year!

I took the grandkids swimming yesterday. We had a riot going down the slide, off the diving board and enjoying the day. Nicholas, the 3 year-old has NO fear in the water, which is great and frightening all at the same time.  I'm really enjoying the time I get to spend with them, as I know they'll grow up and won't have much time for hanging around grandma any more.

Meanwhile, the foreclosure saga goes on with DS#2....

5 drippy, sweaty miles this morning with the Y ladies, then some weights and core stuff.

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

Henrun

Yes, exercise does help arthritis but the pain persists. I walked close to 2 miles this morning before the pain was too much and Marj rescued me by car. I refuse to become dependent on pain melds and take Advil only when I really need it. Was able to get to a talk this morning and now awaiting a visit from my DD who flew in from Ohio. Tomorrow we're off to the Berkshires for a short stay and more family time and much music.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good mornin'

Thanks again.

Say tet--that's the Sturgis bike rally, about to start.  Jodi went nowhere near it, referring to the folks who streamed into town from cities and the flatlands as "amateurs" and worse.  They'd get out in the Black Hills and down Spearfish Canyon and wind up in local hospitals in epic numbers every August.

It's much better to run down Spearfish Canyon.

Like the word "unjoys," marj, and applaud your decision.  Hope it works well.

Agree: great Holly in Mexico photos, but I thought about what Tag would do if he confronted that lizard.....

Just 5 and a bit for me this am.  Going easy this week.

Jodi would kick me in the behind (not the word she'd use) if she saw me moping around, so I am going to enjoy the day.  You all do the same my friends.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Amy - Thanks. Have a nice run for Jodi.
            Since much of my current running has nothing

to do with me,  I’ll add Jodi too for Saturday’s marathon.
            After the x-rays in March showed my shoulders full of painful and immobilizing arthritis after a January fall, I accepted the end of swimming and my beloved annual triathlons.  Fortunately, it somehow went away just in time.
            With too much going on today in getting ready for tomorrow morning’s flight up to GS-land and Saturday’s home town marathon that I first ran in 1978, no time for a morning ‘mute or even abbreviated neighborhood run so what’s a streaker supposed to do on day 13?
            Five ‘muting miles anyway under clear skies
            and no wind make for a clear and calm me too.  .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

FEEL FREE TO SKIP!   No response expected, just sharing some wisdom.  Found this: if you substitute running trips for MC trips, it pretty much sums up my feelings:

Jodi McDermand
              April 22, 2014 · Rapid City, SD ·
              LIFE LESSONS TAUGHT TO MY FINANCIAL ADVISER - - - -
              Tonight was my annual meeting with my financial adviser and I went prepared for the same friendly lecture he gives me every year. "Now Jodi, didn't we talk about you doing....Now Jodi, why aren't you....Now Jodi, what happened to you investing.....Now Jodi, you didn't....."

"Yeah Joe, I know. I didn't do any of the things you told me to do or that I said I would."

"Now Jodi tell me, at what age would you like to retire?" "I don't know Joe, I haven't really thought about it." "Now Jodi, how much do you have in your 401K." "I don't know Joe, I've never checked." "Now Jodi, what about tomorrow?" "I don't know Joe. I'm not really worried about it." "Now Jodi, how can you say that?" "Well Joe, it's like this. I've been paying attention to my life and I've decided I don't want to live it like so many people do. In a hurry for something else to happen - tomorrow, or next week or a year from now. I don't want to spend my time in a hurry or worrying about things that haven't happened. Instead I want to focus on today and I'll worry about tomorrow if and when the time comes."
              "Now Jodi, when you do retire, do you think you'll have enough money set aside to be able to do the things you enjoy?" (of course I'm paraphrasing here but I told him) "I don't know Joe, but what I do know is this. When the time comes for me to retire I will never look back and have regrets about the memories I've made getting there. I'll never regret the money I spent on my motorcycles or all the money it took to keep them serviced. I won't look back and say to myself if only I hadn't wasted all that money on road trips, and the millions trips I took to Yellowstone. And damn it, if only I hadn't taken that trip to Glacier where I finally got to mark off my bucket list seeing a bear and Floating the Road to the Sun. Or what about that time I Floated southern Utah and spent all that money on a national parks pass but got to witness Zion, Grand Staircase, Capital Reef, Arches and Dead Horse State Park, and wasn't that the same trip I wasted all that money but got to Float the Moki under a full moon. And holy crap I spent a ton of money that weekend I rode Idaho! And I want my money back from the trip to WA and Floating the Pacific coast highway!!! Those weekend trips riding to Bozeman to eat at the Naked Noodle were so frivolous of me. And what a waste of money on countless tanks of gas and a ridiculous amount of money spent on tires getting me!!! Holy crap Joe, you're right. If only I hadn't spent all the money on doing the things I loved, when I was able to do, I'd be able to retire with a ton of money in the bank but absolutely no memories to go with it. Joe, I might not have much money when I retire but I will have a ton of memories and that will be worth more to me than any amount of money."

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

AamosY Jodi's fate is very sad. But, in my view Jodi's vies lacks wisdom and promotes behavior that is totally irresponsible. If you save nearly nothing for retirement most of us will live long enough to spend our golden years scraping by in odd jobs and somewhere you likely to do not want to be. I know quite a few people in total panic over retirement. A "retirement" they are quickly discovering will not include doing something other than going to work most mornings. Nobody needs to scrap every trip. We just needs to live within our means. Compounding is an amazing thing. For every $1 anyone put away 15 years ago int the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index fund (a really good choice for most people) they now have about $2.38. That  means over 2 trips in retirement for every one taken back then. This is over a period of time without particularly spectacular annual returns.

Okay, I will get off my financial advice horse. As to running, I was back on the road today with my training partner for 6 miles. We ended up doing a hilly route when she discovered the restrooms at the beach were locked. Locked! Why? This is JULY! So we ran up (like literally uphill) to a wooded area and from there the route involved more up and downs. Still, had a good time yacking and running.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Yes, exercise does help arthritis but the pain persists. I walked close to 2 miles this morning before the pain was too much and Marj rescued me by car. I refuse to become dependent on pain melds and take Advil only when I really need it.

....yep,

they REALLY pushed Pain Meds in the '90's and we're going to be trying to ''Fix'' it for a llllllllllllong time.........

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/07/27/487394411/as-opioid-epidemic-surges-medical-schools-must-change-to-keep-pace

THE GOOD NEWS-

Arthritis is Why God Invented PoolRunning......

ok, I just made that up.

==============

cool snap down here,

Heat Index won't even hit Triple Digits today

50-min HH with Trekking Poles and Asolo Boots

still

managed to Sweat Like A Pig

..................good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Amy, I'm so sorry about your friend Jodi. Way too young.  And I like her attitude about getting out and traveling and having fun, but that doesn't need to cost a bunch of money, so you can still save for retirement!

Sorry about all the arthritis and injuries.  Glad you're all still getting out when and where you can, though.

I had a wonderful run up in the coolth in the mountains today with 5 ultra runner girlfriends.  I love the Dirt Divas group!  My tribe, for sure.  We ran 10.6 miles round trip up to Eccles Pass, at about 12,000 ft elevation. Stunning wildflowers!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

We visited the Spearfish area when I ran Deadwood a few years ago. Drove up some hill, stopped for lunch at some rustic hotel.  We even stayed a little bit and read some while sitting in the lobby.  If I was to ever redo a run, Deadwood would be on the top of the list.

Assuming I will run again. 

Nothing for me since Monday, and probably nothing until a week from tomorrow after we go and come back from Florida.  Then I hope to get back in the swing of things.  Get my back figured out, get back in some type of shape, and enjoy running again.

Hi, Folks - Sorry to hear so many of you are suffering from extreme heat.  One of the benefits of living on the beautiful Northern California coast is we don't have those issues.

I'm back in the land of the living, and actually feeling pretty good.  Had a 90 min full body massage on Monday which did wonders for me.  I'm not walking around like an arthritic grandma anymore, but my lungs are not happy with me.  I have asthma, and they always get a bit PO'd after races, so they are exceptionally PO'd now.

I am so happy with my performance over the weekend!  With the exception of vomiting at the beginning of Lap 4 (which ended up being a good thing), things went really well - better than I anticipated.  I need to work on my consistency because Laps 2, 3, and 4 were each about half an hour slower than the previous lap, but with my coach with me on Lap 5, I finished half an hour faster than Lap 4.  I had time to go another 5 miles to get 77 miles, but at the end of Lap 5 I'd made my goal and I was happy to stop.  So it ended up being 72  miles in 21.50 hrs. AND I had the 2nd highest number of miles for the 24 hr solo trail and the most of the women, so I the women's solo trail division!  

. . . . I think I'll be taking it easy the rest of the week . . . . 

I thought of you all quite a bit while I was out there and it gave me some much needed motivation when / kick in the butt when necessary.  So thanks for being there for me.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

That was a moving tribute to Jodi, Amy. And while I can sympathize with her approach of not putting off life experiences, it's also critical to plan ahead. However, you've got to admit that in her situation, she really did it right. Very sad though.

Woohoo Leslie! That's so awesome and you have every right to be delighted! And good call to take it easy this week.

Glad to hear you're able to keep going, Marj. That's sort of a natural thing that a masters' forum would be littered with arthritis. I'm glad that for as much arthritis I have in my family, I seem to be holding ok with some minor back issues but my knees are fine. My mom has multiple artificial joints, dad has a new hip, etc.

Yes it does look like Holly is having a blast with the fam. Hope her knee is getting better.

Jlynne, my youngest never had any fear either. I know what you mean about it being great and frightening at the same time. Glad you guys had fun! Lucky grandkids. I hardly ever saw my grandparents when I was a kid, with them in Minnesota and us in Alaska. And long distance phone calls were rare because of the cost. That's a big reason why I went to school in Wisconsin, got some good GP and cousin time in!

So after two days of easy recovery running, I'm taking today off. I'm still sore and tired, too. DH and I had friends over for dinner last night, and it got very late. I'm dragging a bit today and my sore quads just don't want to do another run down that hill (first half mile of any run is down a big hill when I run from work). So... I'll be lazy today.

Mariposai

I am so happy with my performance over the weekend!  With the exception of vomiting at the beginning of Lap 4 (which ended up being a good thing), things went really well - better than I anticipated.  I need to work on my consistency because Laps 2, 3, and 4 were each about half an hour slower than the previous lap, but with my coach with me on Lap 5, I finished half an hour faster than Lap 4.  I had time to go another 5 miles to get 77 miles, but at the end of Lap 5 I'd made my goal and I was happy to stop.  So it ended up being 72  miles in 21.50 hrs. AND I had the 2nd highest number of miles for the 24 hr solo trail and the most of the women, so I the women's solo trail division!  

. . . . I think I'll be taking it easy the rest of the week . . . . 

A huge congrats. I can not imagine being able to run for 21.50 htd. THAT is amazing!!!!!

Congrats on your AGE group, but most of all. Congrats for inspiring us all to go beyond our limits.

I ran 7 miles this morning to prepare myself for a long day of meetings and work.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Good mornin'

Agree: great Holly in Mexico photos, but I thought about what Tag would do if he confronted that lizard.....

grins,

A

He'd be curious, no doubt. Sniffing from a safe distance. As soon as it moved, he'd bounce back and be ready to go, with me leading the way for a awhile.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

+1

A huge congrats. I can not imagine being able to run for 21.50 htd. THAT is amazing!!!!!

Congrats on your AGE group, but most of all. Congrats for inspiring us all to go beyond our limits.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."