Masters Running

Sat, Sep 26th. Race, Run and Recoveries (Read 564 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice running/recovery/and tapering going on today.

17.5 miles total on a hodge-podge of a running day with some nice cooler temps.

2.2 mile warm-up @ 8:37

5K fun run @ 7:03

10.2 cool-down/trail run @ 10:16

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

WRFB - Too Funny !

Perch....Still a great run and a great training day.

I just got back from Mountain Bike shoping. With last weeks race I've been re-infected with the bug. The frame I road 10 years ago is still available from GT. The metallurgy may have changed...making the bike lighter and stiffer but the frame geometery hasn't.

Looks like there will be an Xterra or two on the calendar for next year.

MTA....Another good one Wildchild !

lame, cograts to your daughter on her XC race.  buckeye, nice half.  perch, good job on the trail race.

Nice long runs for Walt, CNY, henrun, breger, and Tramps (including 5K race).

This morning, I did a 5K race in Grand Blanc, MI.  The temp was in the high to mid 50s and it was overcast, a nice morning for a race.  Since this is a ways away from where I usually race, I only saw 2 people I knew.  My wife walked the 5K, the first time she's done a race in quite awhile, and did well.  I finished with an 8:48 pace and was 3/3 in my AG (65-69}.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I think it is good training to run that last 10K wishing I was dead.  

Oh dear! I know I shouldn't chuckle perchcreek, but this made me laugh out loud. You did well even while wishing for a quick end to the misery. Your fitness is clearly there!

Bill, don't let today's run get at your confidence---cumulative work adds up to good results and racing. You want to peak at just the right time and you seem to be on course to do that. You hit the marathon paces. Recover well from this and look ahead to the next quality day. 

Love the signs....I am guessing we'll see a new trend.

Details Tramps! Details...and nice running there!

MTA: You too tselbs! Nice race...but more details needed.

Mariposai

Ohhh I love that sign Carolyn. Good girl you are.

Perch....waiting for a race report on that 30k you did today. Awesome job....I like your last 10k approach

I have not read the thread today.  I am assuming we have terrific runs around here as always.

Great to see hallar positing.

Any pictures from twocat?

Was I the only one who did not know that Francesca had BQ for 2010? Congrats sistahh. What an amazing experience that would be for your kids.

Enkie, how are you doing? I miss you dearest one.

I got woken up this morning with a kiss and my pre-long run breakfast ready for me. I was told then that my ride to the mountain was leaving in half and hour because it was going to be a hot day even up in the woods. DH even had my pack ready with water, nuun, the right among of gu I would need for a 20 miler (how does this non-runner know all of my needs for a long run?) Anyway to make a long and happy story short...this is what I did: 10 smiles slow (enjoying the coolness of Green Lake) then 10 miles at MPish. I followed the Salmon Creek drainage all the way to Conconally Lake. My DH waited for me every 3 miles with water and anything else I may need. One mile slow to cool down and I have 21 miles in my bag. Very happy with the pace considering the elevation gain. I think at one point I was near  the 4800ft elevation and the heart felt that it was going to explode

Wild life sighting: two turtles, a coyote, over a dozen deer, two gentle snakes and some cute rabbits.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good luck tomorrow, Slo. I'll be wishing you well.

4 easy for me before tomorrow's hilly and wet Pfaltz Point Trail Challenge....an annual 10 mile race at Minnewaska State Park. beautiful, difficult course. Will try to get in enough WU and WD miles to get 40 for the week.

Walt

Renee the dog

Mariposai always has such great long run descriptions...

And boy, what about Henrun's description yesterday?  Super!

lame -- congrats to your daughter. That's impressive.

Well, I didn't do my 16 miler today.  Kids had me up most the night, and with the sinus infection I have, I didn't feel it was prudent to reach for it today on 3-4 hrs sleep.  Soooo, I just got done doing tomorrow's 5 miles on the TM.  I took people's advice here, and finally took the portable DVD player into my office and watched a couple Frasier episodes while running.  Unfortunately, I hit on one absolutely hysterical episode and spent a few minutes literally hanging on, trying not to pull a Tim, while gasping for breath and trying to suppress my laughter.  I thought I might pass out....gonna try a drama in the DVD player next time.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

I think it is good training to run that last 10K wishing I was dead.  

Well, all MY races are like that......even the 10Ks......

Heckofa race, Perch!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

We left the house at 5:40 am for the Manchester Invitational XC 5K meet, and just got back, at 7:45 pm.  So no running for me!  But DS came in 2nd, out of 226 boys, so it was a fine day.  He set a PR of 16:14.  He was actually happy with how he did, for a change!  His splits were exactly even, something he's been working hard to do but not achieved in the past.

wildchild

Carolyn

Teresa and lamerunner, congrats to your speedy kids!  They both did great!

Nice racing today for Tramps, Buckeye, Perch, Tom, and anyone else who raced.

Fleet feet to tomorrow's racers!

I took a day off - feeling like I'm fighting something off, and I feel kind of carpy.  And my ankle could use a rest day - it's twingy, but never gets any worse if I run on it. Just doesn't get better.   Hope I feel well enough for 10-12 tomorrow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

If I wasn't afraid of offending my friends, I'd use a plethora of 4-letter words to describe today's race.  Instead, I'll say hot, brutally hot, and unrelenting.  I felt worse at a little over the halfway mark than I did at the end of SOB.  I'd say that for about 70%+ of the run we were either going up or going down, and 80% or more of the course was totally exposed.  We started at 9:20.  For 90% of the first 5.88 miles we were climbing in the direct sun.  Took me about 1:40 to get that far, and by the time I got to the aid station (2nd station, first one with food), it was probably in high 80s.  I was told it ended up being in the 90s.

One of the aid station workers told me that even the elite runners were having a hard time, which gladdened my heart a tad.   And when I got done, the paramedics had 2 people laying down, and one guy - who was a really good runner - ended up having to have oxygen. I don't know if any others had to have assistance.  I had to sit for almost an hour before I felt like I could drive.  The upside of that, had a really cute medic keeping watch over me.

There was no way I could drive back to Healdsburg tonight, so I'm still in Monterey.  Had fantastic lasagna, and now I'm icing my poor shins.  And as bad as my feet feel, I'm surprised I ended up with only one blister.  I want to drink the entire gallon of water I have here, but I feel so bloated . . .

I was either DFL or second to DFL - but I finished!

And Perch - Great run to you!  I felt like I wanted to die for, oh, probably 13+ miles.

Nono - Yes, you have to be very careful what you watch on that player while running on a TM.  At least on a stationary bike, I'm already sitting down.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

but I finished!

That's what counts!  Congratulations on just surviving it, with those brutal temps.  Rest now...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Carolyn, you are silly!  BTW, it looks cold out there; everyone's got winter jackets on. 

This was a local charity race that's part of our club's "Grand Prix" series.  The race is for an anti-violence program which commemorates the murder of a local teen and football player so lots of teens take part.  I've missed so many races this year that I needed to run this in order to get to the necessary 7 races to complete the Grand Prix--one more race to go.  Not an "A" race, not even a "B" race for me, just a training speed workout really, which is why it didn't warrant a RR.  I went out comfortably hard and had steady splits, with the last 0.1 being slow because there is a sepentine turn going through gates to finish up on the high school track.  A quirky little race but nice to get out and see the regulars. 

Be safe. Be kind.