Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 6.28.17 (Read 35 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 10 miles, today.  It had been raining all day and stopped right before I went out.  It sure was muggy, though.

I had an old Air Force buddy and his wife stop by for the day, last Sunday.  He's from Pennsylvania and that is where they live, but she is from North Dakota so they were passing through on their way back home after a visit at her dad's place.  I had visited him after the Marine Corps Marathon a couple years, ago.  At that time, he was recovering from cancer treatments and by all accounts, was cancer free.  Well...it's back...and he is not doing very well.  In fact, as soon as they arrived back home, she took him to the hospital and that is where is, tonight.  It's pretty sad.  He is a great guy...he has two daughters and 4 grandkids that just adore him.  His wife takes care of him so well.  I don't think I know anybody who is loved more by his family than this guy.  It is going to be pretty tough when he goes.  Anyway...I'm feeling a little down, tonight, thinking about my friend.  I wasn't even going to say anything because I hate to be a downer, but I know you guys will understand.  Thanks for listening.

Can I tell you one story about him?  I always think about this every time I think about him.  We were Security Policemen and guarded airplanes armed with nuclear weapons and other areas where nuclear weapons were stored.  Every day before going out on post, the 60 or so of us stood in formation for inspection and last minute instructions...it's called guard mount.  Anytime there are nuclear weapons involved, there is an area around those weapons where no one person can be, which is called the "No Lone Zone".  We had a Shift Supervisor who was a Green Beret wanna-be.  This guy wore a stiff crew cut and was by the book at all times.  Well, one day at guard mount, this Shift Supervisor was talking about the importance of making sure the we did not encroach the no lone zone while we were on post and said that it was a sin to go into the no lone zone.  And my friend--with his big puffy cheeks--just busted out laughing.  When asked what was so funny, my friend said, "It's not a SIN to go into a no lone zone."  And everybody in the room was biting their lips trying not to laugh as this supervisor turned all kinds of bright red.  I don't even remember what happened after that, but I will never forget that one little moment.

Okay--I guess, that's all I've got for the night.  See ya!

I' m sorry, Mike.  That's tough.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mariposai

"No lone zone".....MikeE, it is not a sin to share the happy, sad, worrisome and dreams with this group.

What a cool story. Thanks for sharing, and BTW, I am praying for the family right now.

No run for me today. Having major computer crisis at work, so had to go early and work late to be able to do a report that was due today.

Butterfly hugs to all!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

MikeE....I am so sorry. Your friend sounds like he is well loved and liked by all.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Mike E, always heartbreaking when someone goes young.

I would post more but I am doing this on a cell phone and we all know how great RA works when posting on a cell phone.  You are just stuck taking the word of a pathological liar, but I read all the posts.  No, really I did!

I am spending the night in a hotel room at the Vancouver airport before my crack of dawn flight tomorrow. My conference presentation seemed to go well. Post presentation I went off for a 12 13 mile run. My excuse is that I have never run in Whistler Canada before. Manged to plot a route that went along two lakes and a couple of streams. It is always a treat to have a new place to run in. One of the great benefits of our sport.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

I wear the outer left forefoot pretty badly.  

Me, too!  What is Shoe Goo?

Mike - that is sad, but it's okay to share here.

Last week of the month is crazy as usual at work for me, so little time for play.

4.3 miles for me on Wednesday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly-  Shoo Goo is the best thing ever- and it's cheap!  Get it on Amazon.  Make sure you get the clear.  The black can be harder to deal with.  It's a clear plastic in a tube that you squeeze onto the wear spots as soon as you see them (or even in advance).  It hardens (I give it 24 hours) and protects the sole.  It will also wear down, but then you do it again.  It greatly extends the life of your shoes and also protects you from injuries that can be caused by the slanting of the shoe from the wear.     Shoe Goo has been around forever, but not many runners seem to know about it.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth