Masters Running

Core Training (Read 373 times)

I would like to add some sort of core training to my workout routine.  I saw an ad for McMillan's Runner's Core Routine in Running Times.  Has anyone used this routine.  I know McMillan has a good reputation, but I'd like some feedback before I shell out the $$'s
      Haven't heard of it. I am a firm believer in yoga however.  It is an hour of torture for me, once a week, but

I can definitely see and feel results.  Lots of core work.  Just my opinion.....

Helen

coastwalker

Here's a simple (but not necessarily easy) test to assess your core strength. Doing the plank (and its variations) on a regular basis will do a lot to strengthen your core.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Here's a simple (but not necessarily easy) test to assess your core strength. Doing the plank (and its variations) on a regular basis will do a lot to strengthen your core.

Jay

I failed miserably...time to do something about it!

Prince of Fatness

I am not familiar with the plan you mention.  I'm also a big fan of yoga.  I try to do an hour twice a week, and also do a few poses after I run.

I don't think that you need to break the bank to get into a cross training program.  The yoga DVD I have cost me 10 - 15 bucks.  I was not familiar with yoga at all before doing this, so what i did was watch the DVD a couple of times before actually doing it.  I got the hang of it rather quickly.

Not at it at all. 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Someone posted a link to a Runner's World core routine a while back.  I have a copy at home, but don't have the link at hand.  Try searching on the site?  i haven't used it yet, but it is going to be one of my x-training workouts.

After only 2 1-hour classes, I will also vouch for yoga.  I plan on being a regular.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

I got a discount coupon (in a race packet, I think) for this series when it first came out, and I bought it.  (They’re rather pricey, as I recall).  I’m terrible about doing core work because it’s so boring and I don’t belong to a gym, so I thought the “follow along” core work that is divided into various stages from beginner on up might work for me.  I’ve just recently re-started core work again and am at the Stage 1/Level 3 point in the series—not very far along.  (One piece of advice is to just buy the first “Stage One” disk to get started; I bet it lasts quite a while.) 

The actual exercises are no great revelation.  All the basics are here: front and side planks, leg lifts (flat on back), side leg lifts (which he calls “Jane Fonda’s”—which I thought was funny), sit-ups (which I replace with the “bicycle”), a balance exercise and, eventually, a couple others.  The only exercise I was not familiar with is what he calls the metronome—flat on back, arms extended out, legs lifted up at 90-degree angle; you then twist your core, lowering your legs to the left and then to the right.  I find it tough, which I suppose is good.

So is it worth it?  It depends what you want.  As I said, you can find comparable content in lots of places.  So if you can identify something that works for you and use it, you don’t need this.

However, I find I have a hard time visualizing exercises explained in writing, so actually seeing the exercise being done—along with cautions about what to watch out for regarding form—was very useful for me.  Each time an exercise comes up, there’s a brief on-screen reminder about various form issues.  Also, the convenience of popping in the DVD and following along helps me quite a bit.  He counts along the repeats, inserts rest periods, reminds you watch form, etc. etc.

In the end, you need to commit to core work, otherwise it doesn’t get done, regardless of whatever book or DVD you’ve got.  I’ve started—and stopped—this series several times now, so it’s no guarantee of success.  But, for me and my needs, I think it is useful and I keep coming back to it.

BTW, the production values are fairly bare-bones but not cheesy. 

If you've got specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tramps, that was a useful explaination.  Thanks!  I think I'll give the first DVD a try.  If I understood correctly, it sounds like the first DVD has multiple levels?  I like the idea of popping in the DVD and doing what I'm told....bet my DW wishes I was that way around the house!  Also, I travel quite a bit, so it would be easy to pop the DVD into my laptop and get a core workout in while on the road.  How often are you supposed to do the workout?

As to Yoga, my DD does Yoga.  I may tag along to see what a class is all about. 

Thanks everyone for your input!

Tramps

Yes, the series has three "stages," each with three "levels."  Disk One is Stage One, Levels 1-3.  Really the difference between levels is just the length of the exercise (planks go from 15, to 30, then 45 seconds) or the number of reps (leg lifts go from 10 to 25, if I remember correctly).  Later disks mix up the exercises. 

Core work 3x a week is the common prescription.  I try to do it MWF after my easier runs.

And yes, on this boring stuff I'm like you: pop the DVD in and just tell me what to do while I zone out.

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

I tried Jay's core strength test yesterday, and boy howdy, was it hard!  I did each part for half the time suggested.  Guess I can start there and work up to longer times.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.