Masters Running

Saturday 9.10.16 (Read 40 times)

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Looks like I get to start this thread  today.

It's still yucky humid and warm out there but the rain stopped long enough for me to get my last long run in before next week. 10 miles. Then we stopped at the market because I am craving grapes and oranges. Which I bought. And I also bought one massive zucchini for 99 cents. NOw to figure what to do with it. lol. Bake it into something or grill it. Decisions decisions.

Have a great Saturday.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanx lori.
      dlightful 56for five sunny cycle‘muting miles to catch up

enough for another trip to GS-land next week. yippee.

more blackberry picking planned on the way back this afternoon
      Instead of telling ‘em to leave as everyone else does,
      including me at one time in my life, I gave some energy bars

to a jobless down-and-outer who spent the night at the office entrance
      and wished him good luck in finding a job. Unfortunately,

his drug-stupor had no interest in finding work, or anything else.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Bertha - zucchini bread?

Tet - at least you tried...

4.2 mile run/walk for me today. While I have no running fitness at all anymore, the knee (keeping fingers crossed) seemed quite a bit better.

I'll try again tomorrow and see how it does.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

zucchini fritters!!!

Holly - it took me a few weeks to get my swimming mojo, but then it started to feel great!

So Thursday was hills and yesterday an easy 2 miles just for fun - today was 3 of the 5 hour Aikido class. I love Aikido - it helps me stay focused and keeps me fit.

Tet - it doesn't hurt to try - IMHO - and good idea to share nutrition.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Not sure what's up with me today but I just had no zip in my run. My legs are like logs and I never got a good rhythm going so I cut it short and hopefully tomorrow I'll be back to normal.  3.33 in 32:06 in a drizzle and 69 degrees.

Holly,

sounds encouraging.

Tet,

unfortuantly it's not usually a finding a job issue its a mental disease issue. We as a country could do much better for those in need especially since a lot of them are even veterans.  IMHO.

Lori,

veggie lasagna noodles.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Thanks all for the kind welcome back!  Runners are great people.  Imagine, my first post back and Tet was wearing shoes?!?!?!  I thought I was in a parallel universe.

All well on the C25K front.  No pain anywhere!  Feeling good, getting back into it.

TammyinGP

Hi All! Busy day here - actually it started last night - worked packet pick up at Pine to Palm 100 ultra - checking in all runners, etc.  Hal K gave me a couple of sweet P2P shirts for helping. almost feel like one has to RUN that race to earn the honor of wearing one, so I'll probably keep those on the downlow as far as when I do wear them. definitely not to races.   It was fun seeing some ultra celebs there and this one young runner (maybe 20 or so?) having some of these celebs autograph a shirt he bought. no one asked for my autograph though. 

David had tennis matches today - doubles in the morning. that they quickly lost. he wasn't warmed up very well and his partner just wasn't in to it. She hardly ever comes to the drop-in plays, so the two of them just never got a rhythm going. His singles match this afternoon was real good. His opponent won 2 of the 3 sets, but all games were real close, with one of the final games having 17 deuces. Made for very exciting play. We heard his dad saying to someone, as he was watching them play, that no one has challenged him all year like this kid has (referring to david). So that was nice to hear since David has only been playing 6 mos and this other guy has been playing for 4-5 yrs.

in between his matches, I got in a 4 mile run. it was hot, probably low 90's already and we are expected to be close to a 100 today, which makes me cringe thinking of those 100 milers out on the course, at 7000 elevation and they are "only" 10.5 hrs into their race so far.  Only a handful of people typically finish this in under 24 hrs (15 maybe?) and with the temps what they are this weekend, it'll likely still only be a handful.

Tammy

It has been a lazy day for me today.  Tammy, I don't think I even know how the score in tennis even goes anymore.  It's been a while. So fun that David is doing so well but no surprise either.  Bertha, I have a good recipe for zucchini chocolate cake that is really good.  Holly, good luck on your run tomorrow, hope the knee holds out.  Do  you ever wear a knee brace?  La T, I will have to see what Aikido even is!  Glad you enjoy it.

tet, it was 56° here today too.  Hope the kindness rubs off on the homeless man.  I don't think I have ever seen any homeless people in this small town of ours but I suppose there are some.  I did read in the paper that there are 56 dialects/languages spoken by the employees of the pork processing plant here in town

I have done all the preparing that I can for this half marathon tomorrow, but now today the right hip is really tight and painful.... sure don't know where that came from. I used some icy hot pain ointment and a heating pad and it seems better but not perfect.  I hope to make the best of it and finish the race.  I am trying to talk MrStarr into staying home but he insists on going to support me. As soon as my friend drops off my bib/packet I am going to bed.  I did go for a walk this morning and found a great garage sale.  She owns a store and had several racks of new clothing and boxes of shoes! No running shoes, however.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

I got my haircut this morning and did some shopping, plan was to go pool running early afternoon and then work in the garden. Well phooey, lap swim was only from noon to 1:30 so I missed it. Rats. Oh well, spent the afternoon in the garden digging potatoes. Did two rows and I needed to stop to let those dry a bit so I can store them. There are so many more to go! I'm awash in spuds.

DH rented a big brush mower and a trimmer that can cut small trees/brush. He and DS1 have been out there working to clear our overgrown messy front yard. I was helping by hauling the trimmed trees/brush up to the burn pile, but after awhile my leg said it had had enough, so I quit. They're still out there doing the area behind the house and garden.

Good luck on your run tomorrow, Starr! Those hip pains might just be some of the taper tweaks that will resolve tomorrow.

SteveP

Instead of telling ‘em to leave as everyone else does,
                      including me at one time in my life, I gave some energy bars

to a jobless down-and-outer who spent the night at the office entrance
                      and wished him good luck in finding a job. Unfortunately,

his drug-stupor had no interest in finding work, or anything else.

You're one of the good ones.

The dog and I got a few miles in before his vet appointment. I sat on the floor with him and played songbirds on the phone. He was still terrified. He did get a clean bill of health. Then ice cream.

SteveP