Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 11.19.12 (Read 426 times)

aka FlyingFinn

Mari, congrats to your friend Soraya. She looks great! That's an incredible amount of weight lost.

Welcome Cindy.  

Has anyone ever cooked their turkey the day before Thanksgiving? We're having a big group this year and someone suggested I roast the turkey breasts the day before and rewarm with some broth in plastic roasting bags or covered dishes. I've never done it that way. 

4 flat miles, sunny and over 50F. This is the hurry up and run and eat dinner before the long drive to fencing night. 

Have a good evening all. Congrats again to the Monkey-ers.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

#artbydmcbride

Wow!  That's some weight loss!

Now I'm confused (as usual).  The Monkey pictures were great, but I can't seem to find in one place a list of the people who were there, their times, and who ran PR's. Can someone condense all this for me in one post?  I am happy for all of you, having a chance to get together and running so well.

Here you go, Spareribs, your wish is my command:

Name Distance Date Race Results Commentary
       Wildchild

26.2 miles

11/18  HH Flying Monkey Marathon

4:26:50

PR!
       Holly S

26.2 miles

11/18  HH flying Monkey Marathon

4:34:03

Ileneforward  

26.2 miles

4:43:42

survived attacks
       Orange Mat

26.2 miles

4:55:30

3rd AG!
       Slo-hand

26.2 miles

3:48:36

hugged wimmen
       HStreet

26.2 miles

5:14:18

get tattoo
       TeaOlive

26.2 miles

4:14:07

Had fun!
       DoppleBock

26.2 miles

3:13:17

hungover!
       pfriese

26.2 miles

4:58:53

made goal!
       lostinthenet3

26.2 miles

7:55:49

Had fun

Runners run

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ilene - no particular reason but do they give the age-graded times too?

ps - how about the guy who was 20 minutes faster this year? <<<(SRL/SRL)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Congratulations Monkey runners! 

Well, the Augustana girls were beaten by 3 points to keep them from repeating as national champions on Saturday.  The boys took 4th, which was disappointing as well.  I guess you know you have a pretty good program when you take 2nd and 4th at Nationals and are disappointed.  I was very proud of the way Ryan handled himself, too...he supported his team the whole way.  It's not the way we had envisioned him ending his cross country career but it sure was a pretty fun ride.

Last Wednesday, my right heel started hurting more than usual about half way through my run.  I haven't run since, and it's not feeling a whole lot better.  I was going to try to tough it out, tonight, but last night at 10:30, I got called into work and got back home at 3:00 am...and, of course, I was still expected to be back at work by 7.  So, after going through the day on 2 hours of sleep, I've decided to take another day off.  I should use this extra time to update my resume.

Okay--I guess that's all I've got.  See ya!

...thnaks ilene//..........we thought they were just Embarrassed to be Running in Tennessee..........

YAY mari//..........you're Friend looks (and I'm sure  feels) Amazing.......

=========

Squat

Doodley-Variety

pt xs

...............................poolrunning tomorrow,

maybe hiking,

maybe biking

,,,,,,,,,,,,Multi-Tasking is much different than Just Being Confused,,,,,,

..........................................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

xor

ilene - no particular reason but do they give the age-graded times too?

ps - how about the guy who was 20 minutes faster this year? <<<(SRL/SRL)>>>

Comparing to last year doesn't count.  Last year I had run a 50k the day before... and did both races with pneumonia :-D.  This year I did not run a 50k the day before and I only barfed once.

The proper comparison for this year is with 2010... and I was 5-6 minutes slower.  Ah well.

Such a pretty day.

And no age graded times at monkey.  This year, we had chips for the very first time though.

King of PhotoShop

Have I ever mentioned how much I adore Ilene?  Thank you so much. The pics everyone put up were so awesome too.

Tet, good for you to stick up for all us geezers. I care a lot of course about my own times, but I also admire all older runners, no matter the pace, who are still out there doing something, you, Henry and so many others.  On Saturday I went into my neighborhood Starbucks, and I saw a guy I knew was older than I, and he was wearing one of the original White Rock Marathon jackets. It's a beautiful blue and white windbreaker, probably early 1980's.  Every now and then I see one on an older runner.  This guy was getting his coffee, and then getting on his bicycle.

I said to him, "i know that jacket. It's from the very first races.  Good for you.  You running this year?"  He lit right up. He said, "No. No more of that. I'm 82."  i said, "You look pretty good to me." Big smile as he pedaled off. Made my morning.  Spareribs

Comparing to last year doesn't count.  Last year I had run a 50k the day before... and did both races with pneumonia :-D. 

We don't want to hear no stinking excuses!  You need to just get your butt out there and run, son! 

. . .

. . .

Oh wait.  You did. Wink

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Have I ever mentioned how much I adore Ilene? 

Finally, I got to meet Ilene and chat and hug and everything - what a wonderful lady!  Too short was our meeting, though...

Esther and Carolyn - what an awesome get-together!  I had a blast!  We definitely need to do this again!  Oh, and race, too!

Home at last, and now family calls....I'll try to post some details of the weekend tomorrow night.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

No excuse is too feeble to go out when it’s what-is-already-being-deemed "the wettest day of the year" but, even with hooded long rain jacket, I was drenched only ten blocks away when checking in with a more conveniently-located new dentist for a possible appointment. 
                      With regard to my rain-soaked appearance, the receptionist didn’t waste any time when I mentioned I hoped the rains would last through Seattle Marathon Sunday and immediately asked if I was a Marathon Maniac.  It turns out she’s done the SM four times and her husband is medical director for MM events. I guess she knows the type. I never liked the terminology at all but think I've finally figured out why they call it the "Insane Asylum."

ps Jay - do the halfanatics have one too?

I guess being half insane isn't that much, if any, different.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Too short was our meeting, though...

Yes, two short. That's you and Ilene all right.  Spareribs

Very nice, Spareribs.

About 4 1/2 miles easy for me after work.  Tomorrow I get to do a long tempo run and I'm jazzed!  What the heck is wrong with me? 

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

wildchild

Carolyn

Finally, I got to meet Ilene and chat and hug and everything - what a wonderful lady!  Too short was our meeting, though...

Esther and Carolyn - what an awesome get-together!  I had a blast!  We definitely need to do this again!  Oh, and race, too!

Home at last, and now family calls....I'll try to post some details of the weekend tomorrow night.

So glad I got to meet Ilene, too!  And did I mention how awesome it was to meet DoppleBock and Stevie Ray, two of my running idols?   And SloHand and Pfriese, two tall and very cool guys?!! And how fun it was to run with Trent for 4-5 miles?  And how greta to see Holly and Esther again?  And how amazing the volunteers were at the Monkey?    Wow.  What an amazing weekend! 

Tonight I have to unpack, do laundry, and pack camping and climbing stuff for a trip tomorrow till next Monday out to Joshua Tree Natl Park in California.  My DH has been working in CA for 2 weeks (ever since the Moab Marathon) and I'm meeting him out there for a long holiday week. 

See you guys when I get home next week - no internet when we're camping.  Be good. And have a great Thanksgiving!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Yes, two short. That's you and Ilene all right.  Spareribs

and pretty fast ladies too. 
                              Any pictures of all the fast women or is slo-hand keeping them all?

Tomorrow I get to do a long tempo run and I'm jazzed!  What the heck is wrong with me? 

You can run but you can't hide from being a Marathon Maniac.

Save some photos of the Joshua's for us Carolyn.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Here you go, Spareribs, your wish is my command:

Name Distance Date Race Results Commentary
                                 Wildchild

26.2 miles

4:26:50

PR!
                                 Holly S

26.2 miles

4:34:03

Ileneforward  

26.2 miles

4:43:42

survived attacks
                                 Orange Mat

26.2 miles

4:55:30

Marathon Maniac!
                                 Slo-hand

26.2 miles

3:48:36

hugged wimmen
                                 HStreet

26.2 miles

5:14:18

get tattoo
                                 TeaOlive

26.2 miles

4:14:07

Had fun!
                                 DoppleBock

26.2 miles

3:13:17

hungover!
                                 pfriese

26.2 miles

4:58:53

made goal!
                                 lostinthenet3

26.2 miles

7:55:49

Had fun

I added in my "accomplishment". Wink Turns out, I also got 3rd AG, who knew?? Since I rarely place, this was an even cooler treat.