Masters Running

Saturdaying July 22 (Read 28 times)

Hard for me to believe I ran in Dallas for 28 years and can not seem to handle this heat wave here in Tennessee.   Did 3.7 of my planned 5 miles.  Just not worth fighting it today.    Hope y'all do better!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Welcome Aboard to Trekkie//......hope you enjoy the forum.........

===========

knocked out 40-min PoolRun with letters

supposed to hit 100+ with HeatIndex here

we've

got a BlockParty tonite,

and I'm thinking HotDogs and Hamburgers don't sound too appealing

...............good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yes, welcome Trekkie, In addition to the secret handshake mentioned my previous welcome, you may also need the Tomwhite and Tet  translator.    But then, a bunch of us that have been here a while STILL need it. 

3.6 Maine miles to start a week's vacation at the camp. Didn't exactly sprint up the hill, but with the downhills that come after, ended up with a pretty decent average pace.  A week's worth of those kind of runs will do me good.

More power to those who venture out in 90F weather, no matter how far you go (KSA and Spa).   Too hot for me to even think about getting in the car to go to the gym, much less run in it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Seems like the newbies are going to need an RA Masters Glossary in order to understand things like "greta", "hugh", "JTWILI", etc. Speaking of that, whatever became of "Byll," anyway?

Packed and ready for our trip to Quebec tomorrow. We're booked via United, but the flights are operated by Air Canada, which cuts down on our likelihood of being dragged off a plane. Canadians are such polite people.

Be good in my absence -- I'll be lurking!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

pfriese

I'm still recovering from PF. The foot seems to be fine now, but I probably won't start running again until August. Too hot to run here anyway.  Wink

In the meantime, I'll be joining a missionary friend of mine who is raising funds for Bet Shalom (a home for abandoned & at-risk seniors in Guerrero Mexico). She is riding from Oklahoma City to Alberta Canada on this fundraising mission. I plan on riding the segment from Wichita Kansas to Ft Collins Colorado with her next week. I rode with her on the start of her ride yesterday & I'll meet up with her in Wichita on Sunday for the ride across Kansas & some of Colorado. Should be a fun week of cycling.

Paul

Henrun

Roch-enjoy Quebec. We're back to Toronto (getting to be an annual visit) weekend after Labor Day.

Paul -sounds like a great ride.

Did 2 hot miles with decreasing H early this morning.

Cooled off this afternoon at the movies. Saw Dunkirk in 70 mm.-a fantastic movie- don't miss it.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I didn't run this morning.

The r.s. ran a slow 10 miles first part with Carol and LIsa.

So.

Since I didn't run, can I post our bridge game last night?

Marianne and I have been having a good 2017 on the bridge front. Poor Art and the rocket scientist have had a few good hands between our games and slams.

In fact, the menfolk admonished us because we bid 6 no-trump and made 7.  Oops. That was the tone of the evening.

Paul, love your cycling plans!  Can't wait to hear about the journey.

Henry!  My sister saw "The Big Sick" last evening and said it was good and worth watching. I told her, "I heard "Dunkirk" was very good". And then you confirmed it!

Erika, thanks!  We realize Alaska is too big for you to just "drop by"!  I thought I remembered you saying you wanted to run the Juneau marathon some time?

Tetsujin, We have copied and pasted your notes re: Juneau. Thank you.

Hally, glad to see you checking in here!  Remember geocaching in the swamp?  I do. That was fun.

PinBallJoe, remember your visit to Colonial Williamsburg?  I loved meeting your family. Please update me!

I miss SkipAZ.  I miss Spareribs.  I miss La Tortuga. Are Tramps and Jay Walker still on vacation? I miss JJJessie.  I miss Millbot. and Sans Souci.

I haven't seen Bertha in a while, where are you girl?

I think we lost some folks to Facebook.  I was on FB for 7 years. I have been deactivated for a few years.  Sometimes my instagram account reconnects me to FB.  Then I go over there to FB and remember why I deactivated.  If you like FB, please ignore my comments. I can see why folks do like it. It is just not my cup of tea.

Have fun in Canada, Rochester!

Holly, do you golf in this weather? Or is it not such a pressure cooker in Ohio?

I hope Starr is having a good time in Germany.  Starr, do they have good pretzels in Germany?

Okay. Enough for now... Love this new Chromebook!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I just ran the hardest easy 8 miler of my life.  It was hot and humid and it almost killed me.  But I made it...unless...it really did kill me...and I'm in heaven typing this.  I sure hope not, because, if this is heaven, I am very disappointed.

Okay...gotta go pick up Eric, take him back to his house, and mow his lawn.  It's a long story...

See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks, and welcome Trekkie!

Rosie - we do golf when it is hot, but not as much this summer as we seem to be too busy.  I do plan on golfing with DD tomorrow afternoon though, but when it is this hot we take a golf cart instead of walking, so at least we can drive in circles to get the breeze.

I waited WAY too long to get out today for my long run (9:30ish) and the heat and humidity was already fearce, as hour highs are in the mid-90's this week.  On my running path there was a HM race going on - Halfway To Christmas HM.  They also apparently had had a 1-mile, 5k, and 10K race.  f I had seen notice of it, I would have signed up for the HM (and gotten out there 2 hours earlier).  As it was, I saw mostly the end of the HM, but the aid stations offered me water even though I was not a racer, since it was near the end and they had plenty.  Lots of cute Christmas signs, decorations, and costumes.

DH and I went with the OGP2B to Costco and bought a 4-camera security system for our house.  Hopefully DH will be able to figure out how to install it with minimal help from me, but I believe I will be crawling in the attic to the narrow eaves to help run wire tomorrow.  We don't exactly have lots to steal, but the fact that our house got egged not long ago, and also that we have a rambunctious teenaged daughter, made us decide to set up a monitoring system as a deterrent for any possible shenanigans.

14.2 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

KSA - interesting perspective from the top on Irons and Half-Irons and different reasons you DS specializes in the 70.6's.  It makes me appreciate, for the first time, why they became 70.3's instead of Half-Irons anymore.  For us sloggers who just hope for the best without that much training, both are so hard that might as well see if we can still do the full 140.6 in the 17 hours til midnight.  Unfortunately, I can’t anymore so post as much about his tri’s as you can.  I wonder if Starr is going to give one a try too this year.
                      This morning’s our annual local Seafair Olympic and Sprint one I’ve been doing off-and-on when I’m around in July since 1990 but today will be GS’ing spashing in the Seattle Center fountain with hundreds of other kids (and adults), Seattle’s 10-story pubic library (vs one up in his home town where rosie and rs are goin’ next week), and the evening’s Chinatown Dragonfest Parade he’ll love.  Me too.
                      Rosie - uh ha. Now you know how we felt when FB took you away too.  So glad you’re back, especially to report on the Frank Maier Marathon and Deci-marathons I’ve been doing the former of off-and-on since 1978 long before it got named after Frank. However, they sure didn’t have the salmon BBQ at Sandy Beach afterwards in those days. No wonder the ‘78 edition only had ten runners.
                      Hope the timing of the deci will allow you to get out to mile 11 by Outer Point of the out-and-back for pictures you can post pictures of rs with the glacier in the background across the channel and valley.  Note: hitchhiking might be the fastest way to get out there.  NoteNote: if weather doesn’t permit, try your best to get out to the Glacier and for maybe another picture like Mary did at Nugget Falls, . . . plus other ideas I think I posted if you have any spare time.

Speaking of rs, do you still rs any races like at the memorable Gateway I remember I missed due to a Dannon-man Half Iron up in Lake Steens running for a while with Sister Madona for the first time since 1987 in Kona.
                      trekkie - is it for trekking poles I pretty much use all the time in trail ultras except I haven’t done any for a long time. .
                      - uh ha. Now you know how we felt when FB took you away too.  So glad you’re back, especially to report on the Frank Maier Marathon and Deci-marathons I’ve been doing the former of off-and-on since 1978 long before it got named after Frank. However, they sure didn’t have the salmon BBQ at Sandy Beach afterwards in those days. No wonder the ‘78 edition only had ten runners.

BTY - it's okay 'cause you've been away but no saying the winter "s" word in the summer with permission from erika.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)