Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 8.29.17 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.1 miles, including 2 post-work TM miles)
    Tramps (18 morning bike miles, picking up the pace)
    Holly (40 min of weights & core)
    Catwhoorg (6 lunchtime miles in great weather + 20 post-work bike miles)
    Twocat (4 walking laps in the recovery wing)
    Tomwhite (4 X 10 = 40 min)
    BTY (early strength workout at the gym with DD + 2.5 tempo miles along the Hudson)
    Mike (fartleks with the XC team plus some more for 7 total miles)
    StarrRuns (3.5 walking miles on breaks & post-work)

I think we are all horrified by the flooding in Houston and elsewhere in Texas. I don’t know if there is a way to prepare adequately for that volume of rain. Maybe I shouldn’t say this and jinx us, but I am so glad that our little corner of the country is rarely subjected to weather extremes of any appreciable magnitude.

Tramps, there are a few guys who bike in the dark up here, with bright head and tail lights. But I agree that even that can be risky.

Sorry you’ve got smoke to deal with, Tammy. Not good, for a variety of reasons.

I’m so glad that you are home, Twocat, and hope that things are going as well as they can be.

Social events can wear anyone out, Rochrunner. Even if you have a good time, it can take a lot of energy. Have fun getting ready for New Mexico.

Great that you and your DD have a regular gym/travel routine, BTY. And I’m glad that you all enjoy the early blaze in the fire pit. I wonder if your Husque-Varna blades need sharpening? You sure will get a good workout with that reel mower.

Forget the spitter, Fatozzig, and give gazpacho a try. How’d the Lidocaine patch work for you?

Hi Hally! Good suggestion with the bourbon.

Nice hard workout, Mike.

Holly, I never imagined you as a closet introvert...

Nice job of banking the biking, Cat.

StarRuns, that's a fabulous photo of Deeze that you reposted - what joy she is obviously feeling! I've never had turkey burgers, and now I don't think I want to try them. Sorry that DD is still struggling - must be tough. I hope your run today goes well.

We had a good Seacoast Half race committee meeting last evening. Things are progressing well but, like so many other races, our registrations are down vs. prior years. We still hope to sell out this year, but if we do, it'll be later than ever.

Good 6.5 mile RW workout at J o'clock in 50° temps and, since my new racewalking shoes haven't come in yet, in an old, old pair of NB 111s - probably about 11-12 years old, and from when NB used to make shoes specifically for racewalking. They felt a little heavy, but otherwise very comfortable and still supple.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  I'm just sick about Houston.    (I actually ran 5.1 miles yesterday with the treadmill miles, but not that we obsessively count or anything.....)

3.1 this morning.  I'm not sleeping well at all, which doesn't help.  2.2 after work on the dreadmill.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

I went into the office yesterday but stopped at the gym on the way home for a decent workout.

This morning I ran 4.5 miles. I added a couple hills to my normal 4 mile route. I also fought the urge to walk whenever I was feeling tired. A slow run but I think it was one that was better than normal.

Marathon Maniac #957

I love turkey burgers, but prefer those I make at home, on the grill, with very lean turkey breast and thin patties.  With burgers in general, I prefer thin patties, not those 1-2-inch thick ones you find at so many restaurants.  I often order the children's burger.

Thunderstorms kept me on the TM today, as Hurricane Harvey spreads out.  4.5 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BTY, I've been waiting 32 years for my DS to "open up." Still hasn't happened.

TwoCat, I remember when my DS was little and I caught foot-and-mouth disease from him where I had blistering sores all over my tongue. It was one of the most miserable ailments I've gone through and can't imagine what it's been like for you. Hang in there!

Ran 5.35 this morning, taking a familiar route but adding some variation with additional elevation changes. This is usually my group biking day, but the weather was gray, damp, and threatening, so I'll probably postpone riding until tomorrow. At least what little rain came down held off until after I got back home.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

...howdy......

45-min xbike

and

40-min PoolRun

==============

......meeting up with a hiking buddy to see ''Hitman'' movie, should be good

................good work-outs to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Great picture of Deez!

30 min of core/ST this a.m.  I then proceeded to mentally throw a 3-year old tantrum over my wardrobe.  Got the skirt ironed, then pulled out the top and somehow, someway there's a freaking big stain down the middle.  Pulled out the next topthat would go with it, same thing.  Decided to change gears and go with a different skirt - let's just say things have - eh hem - expanded since I haven't been able to exercise and am stressed at work.  *sigh* It all went downhill from there.

Then I watched some more news about what's happening in Houston and things got put into perspective  . . . sort of.  Kinda hard to pull out of a mental 3-year old tantrum when you're in the middle of it.  At least I didn't throw things or myself on the floor and rage outwardly.  

My MAT appt is today.  I'm hoping against hope he can help me.  The Lidocaine patch - I had no pain yesterday, so I don't know if was the patch or a coincidence.  I used another piece last night, but this morning after my workout things are bothering me, so who knows.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

Jay - without you, I'd have trouble with ketchup.  We were away and I was pretty much off the computer.

like Roch, lots of socializing which is fun and exhausting.

yes, the picture of Deeze is wonderful

twocat - happy you're home and the ensure will pass.

As to foods, we came back with lots of tomatoes, so I'm making gazpacho this afternoon.  I like turkey burgers, but they need lots of flavorings or they tend to be bland and dry.

can't remember any more shout-outs so great runs/walks to those who did and (((to those hurting)))

As to running, 6 miles along the Charles, while Henrun ran a shorter route

marj

TammyinGP

Leslie - when DH was having his extreme hip/buttock pain earlier this summer, a friend gave us a box of her lidocaine patches. He wore one each night while sleeping and did notice some improvement also. didn't go away, but it did make things more tolerable while he was undergoing his chiro treatment as well. 

didn't go to gym last night. but will tonight. smoke is pretty unbearable right now so all outdoor activity is cautioned against. David was a bit upset with us last night that we wouldn't let him go play tennis, but air quality was in the very unhealthy range, at 203 (200-300 is very unhealthy range, with the next range being hazardous). Of course, young kids think they are impervious to any ill effects from the air quality. 

Tammy

Henrun

Leslie, I also have a supply of Lidocaine patches. I use them on my lower back for long drives or long flights. They work well. Not little pieces but either a half or a whole. Also consider heat wraps.

pfriese

Afternoon all.

It's been 2 weeks since my last run. The day after that run, my foot was a bit tender the next morning. I decided to wait a while longer before running again. So, I went for a 5 mile very easy run today. It felt really good to be out running. So far, no problems... I'll just have to wait & see how it feels tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

Paul

Sounds encouraging, Paul.  I hope it continues to hold up!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Let's talk turkey, or at least turkey burgers! mrrun is right, you cannot just squish them into patties, toss them onto the grill and eat. They are too lean for that. You need to doctor them up a bit. By far my favorite recipe for doctoring them is one by Guy Fieri at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/turkey-and-blistered-green-chile-burger-recipe.html. It is called "Turkey and Blistered Green Chile Burger." The only ingredient you may not have on hand are the poblano peppers. If you cannot get them, or do not want to roast them yourself, get a 4 ounce can of diced green chilies and you will be all set. Another very good recipe is this one http://allrecipes.com/recipe/158968/spinach-and-feta-turkey-burgers/ called "Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers." I probably make the Fieri version three times for each time I make the feta version.

If you want to use your ground turkey for something other than turkey burgers try this Bobby Dean recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-deen/turkey-bacon-cheeseburger-turkey-loaf-recipe-2200839 called "Turkey Bacon Cheeseburger Turkey Loaf." This is by far the best turkey meatloaf recipe I have tried to make and I have tried several. It is moist, tastes great and does not just fall apart when cut. Well it does not just fall apart if you dry the vegetables sufficiently when you fry them in a skillet. Make sure you get quit a lot of the liquid out at that stage.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

It seems evil to be talkin' about food - solid food, that is - around 2Kitty at a time like this. 

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

It seems evil to be talkin' about food - solid food, that is - around 2Kitty at a time like this. 

He's the one that brought up all the recipes  He's just making a list for when he can eat.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.