Masters Running

Sunday 4/21/13 Daily (Read 54 times)

mrrun

jlynne and mike - you won't regret your new choices.

nice long runs for some folks. LaT - glad to hear you're starting to run again.

my only runs were keeping up with the sprints from one GD and the scooters that the other two were on.  vera couldn't keep her eyes off her big cousins1!

ethan, meghan, vera, and jodie

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Took Hamish out for a muddy frolic on the skirts of a local big hill/mountain.  I always get lost on the west side and feel like a total goober running around there with a map bunched up in my fist, but sure as shooting, I go out the next time and get just as lost.  I am usually well-oriented in space and don't understand what it is about that place.  Oh, well.

Questions!  I moved into my little house in February.  It feels snug, but with DS 17 and DD 15, the reality is, I don't need a big 3BR palace any more.  The garden was put in two owners ago by a man who converted to Buddhism and made a serene place where there was just terrible lawn before.  One owner ago enjoyed it very much but didn't put the work into keeping creeping grasses and buttercup at bay, so I am just ministering to it while I see what comes up.  So far, one demure cherry tree, one outré one, lots of hellebore and a few daffodils, anchored with herbs of all kinds.  The deer eat the tulips as they emerge and I tremble for the strawberries that are liberally scattered on the borders.  I think there will be a riot of poppies this summer.

Tramps, when Coach sends me out for a recovery run, she says to go very slowly.  "Coach," I said, "Coach, when I run as slowly as you ask me to, I want to put a paper bag over my head so nobody will recognize me shuffling along."  "Sounds about right," she said.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Tramps, when Coach sends me out for a recovery run, she says to go very slowly.  "Coach," I said, "Coach, when I run as slowly as you ask me to, I want to put a paper bag over my head so nobody will recognize me shuffling along."  "Sounds about right," she said.

I still remember that description of your paper-bag runs, and think about that when I do my unsatisfyingly slow recovery runs. I've actually had people who I pass by in the neighborhood tell me to hurry up and push harder, go faster... I think a bag on THEIR heads would appropriate at those times...

6.03 miles for me today at an 11:57 pace, paper bag and all. Yesterday was 13 miles at a 9:51 pace, and Friday was an 11-mile tempo run at 8:46. Well technically it was only 10.5 miles I found out afterward, since my Garmin battery died and I had estimated the remaining distance incorrectly. But there's nothing I can do or fix at this point anymore, since all I've got left is my two weeks of taper. I just hope I don't have to end up running my marathon with a paper bag... Shocked

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I like the paper bag over the head description.  I've wished I had one several times.

So my new job...and--by the way--thanks for all of your positive responses--it's an estimating position for a carpenter labor company, who also builds wall panels. I know, it doesn't sound all that glamorous, but it will get me back in the office where I belong.  I really like the owner of the company (although, I liked the owner of my current company during the interview, too) and I like the fact that he has been in this business since    the late 70's and he knows what he's doing.  When he talks about building these large apartments and his penalizing plant, his eyes light up--you would think he was talking about a recent marathon he had run.  Anyway--I'm really hoping I like it and I can do a good job for him.  I haven't felt valuable to a company for quite awhile and I want to feel that again...it feels almost as good as running a good marathon...

Okay--I gotta go. I have to go to church and help with the confirmation class.

Oh--I almost forgot--the forecast for Louisville on Saturday is--low 57--high 70--SSW wind at 12 mph--and a 30% chance of rain.  I know Holly was waiting for this...

Congrats on the new job, Mike!

MS... try blood meal and/or coyote urine (which you can buy from the Urban Nature store or such) to deter the critters.  I get rabbits eating my tulips and crocuses every year if I don't lay down a mix of blood meal/bone meal/Critter Ridder early enough.  Sounds like a lovely garden...have fun seeing what comes up!

No running for me today, its cold still but it's nice and sunny and not windy so DH and I went for a hike up the river to see the trout spawning.  The cold weather has kept the fish in the streams, so it's going to be a good year for the fishermen when the season opens next Saturday.  Not so good for the fish, though.

I signed up for the Ride for the Heart corporate team this year, as they are giving us all company bike jerseys. They close off the main freeway going into the heart of Toronto for this, so it's an amazing event with thousands of riders on the Don Valley Parkway.  Only problem is that my road bike hasn't been out of the basement for over 2 years.  So this morning I brought it upstairs, pumped up the tires, and this afternoon, I got out on a very short 5 mile ride down my local nice and quiet street...... no clipping in, used only a very limited gear range and was wobbly as all hell, but it was nice to get back out.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

janie b good

congrats MikeE on the new job!  and Opie!, great job on your 5K!

3.65 miles for me in the 'hood.  gorgeous day!  55* and sunny.  PURRFECT for running...

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

C-R

quick drive by post. WTG Mike!

Did a 20 minute Insanity this morning and ran 8 tonight at a great pace. Stomach held today. Which is good.

Some dinner and a visit with my mom in the nursing home with the kids. Really glad we moved her up here last summer. Its been good for everyone.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Congratulations on the new job, Mike!  You deserve it.

Stumpy - You'll find the other 11.2 just fine.

Twokitty - You give me hope I'll be out there again soon.  I was a very good girl this weekend and did NOT go for a strong walk like I so wanted to.  My PT will be very happy with me tomorrow.

I've been stationary biking it and strength training in an effort to stay in shape.  I managed a whole 45 minutes on the bike yesterday.  It helped that I was watching "GI Jane," which always makes me want to kick some exercise butt.  I haven't been pool running (ah, shucks) 'cause Mizz PT keeps taping up my calves with kinesio tape, and if it gets soaked it comes off.  Plus, they raised the daily use rate of the pool to $7.00 a visit, or $63 for 10 visits.  (1) I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll be running soon so I don't need a 10-visit ticket, and (2) I ain't payin' 7 bucks a pop.  Between that and the gas to drive to the pool, well, those would add up to some expensive pool runs.  I have one visit left on my 10-visit ticket from 2 years ago, so I'll use that soon and then we'll see.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

MS..If you're in luck, Hamish may be able to help you discourage the deer population.

Here's another from the run today:

SteveP

OrangeMat

MM #6177

congrats MikeE on the new job!  and Opie!, great job on your 5K!

+1

I really appreciate all the kind words about my race.  Last night, my quads were getting even more sore, so I didn't expect today's run to go very well but I knew it should flush out the lactic acid.  So I slept in my compression shorts and it must have helped.  I ran 8 miles after church and it went very well, in spite of the crazy wind!

Mike, congrats on the new job.  Can't remember if I've mentioned my new gig, but I like it.  In addition to being an Adjunct (part-time) Professor, I am going to court somewhat regularly for hearings where it isn't cost-effective for the out-of-state attorney to cover it.  I'm going in the morning and it's a much better way to start the week than in my pj's.  There's no overhead and I pick the hearings I want to cover.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

evanflein

Congrats on that new job, Mike, it sounds like what you've been looking for.

Great pictures from your race, SteveP! I love that "high 5" with Tag.

Heme, I haven't been out on my road bike in years either and I'm sure my first ride will be wobbly as hell, too. Good for you to get out there and that ride sounds like quite the event.

We had another gorgeous day here, even though not as warm as yesterday. I ran 12.2 miles at a too-fast pace (8:09 avg) with the last two miles sub-8. I don't know what got into me, maybe just wanted to finish. I'm having issues with a middle toe (it's always gotta be something, right?) and had to stop a couple times to fiddle with it (not that that helped...). This gives me 47.8 miles for the week which is the biggest week since August. No wonder I'm tired!

TammyinGP

Great news for MikeE on the job front!

and congrats to Opie on your 5K!

and now i can't remember anything else, after my 20 miles of trails at a "paper-bag-over-my-head" worthy pace. Longest 20 miles evah I think. 3:53 for an 11:40 pace. ouch. Had to walk some from about mile 12-18. it was getting hot, the terrain was tough - lots of ups and downs.  But the cause was so much more important than how I felt out there. We raised close to $5400 for Martin Richards' charter school, we had around 150 runners come out, we had so many local businesses that donated food, beverages, Gu, GuBrew, the park waived all fees, lots of volunteers came out to help so that we had manned aid stations at 3 points around the almost 19 miles of lakeside trails, etc. We also had a nice memorial/remembrance type service before hand, all local tv stations were there. it was just an amazing thing to be a part of and wonderful to see so much good that came out of something that was so wrong and tragic.

Tammy

Bushrat Runner

While most everybody on here was out running, I sat down in an easy chair and somehow the day disappeared. I feel deliciously post-nappish. So that was my workout for the day.

But I found out today that my brother completed the Wenatchee half marathon yesterday, coming in a ways behind Mariposai Jr.

He said he ran eight miles with a coworker that is a lot faster than he is...which resulted in one of those truly classic staggering home disaster types of run...hopefully not bad enough to scare him out of another one sometime...

Big congratulations on the New Job Mike.  I liked you saying that you were looking forward to feeling valuable to a company again.  That's the spirit and the attitude.

Nice to see all the new people and the old returnees again ... "old" being used affectionately of course.  The Boston circumstances seem to have had a positive influence by getting runners together again.  Nice to see.

I ran 15.4 miles on Sunday at a 9:30 pace.  Yay me for running that long!  I hadn't run that long a run since January of 2012.  How time flies.  I need to get back in good running condition and it's not going to happen by accident.  Happy I was able to run that far with no issues whatsoever.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong