Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 6.29.17 (Read 33 times)

Holly-  a couple of Shoo Goo tips.   Turn your shoe upside down for it to dry after you put it on.  It won't be runny, but it still helps let it harden the way you put it on.  Try not to get a bunch on the threads of the cap or it will be difficult to open the next time.  This is serious glue.  Go beyond your wear spot a little bit.

I need at least 6 pairs of shoes going at a time.  I have different levels of cushioning I like, different kinds of runs, different shoes for the treadmill, racing shoes, long run shoes......  I like choices.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mariposai

mariposai does that mean it might actually have been 7.23 miles? 

Nope, that was 7.8 miles 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Mike, that's so sad about your friend. As many here can attest, cancer sucks.

Shoes... always a struggle. I have so many, partly because I try so many to find some that work. I've now decided that the Saucony Kinvara 6 was a very good purchase. Guess what, it's no longer available. They're up to the 8's now, and not sure about them but I guess I can order and try a pair. I still have the Nike 1400's but find the toe box is a little snug. I ran the other day in my last pair of functioning Asics Gel-Speedstars and frankly I didn't really like them. Could be the almost 500 miles they have on them, but I think I've just moved on to preferring lighter shoes. Anyway, besides my hammer toe, wide feet and metatarsalgia issues, finding comfortable shoes (and stocking up before they are discontinued!) is always a challenge.

Tetsujin, around here there are lots of little rocks, gravel, sometimes broken glass and dog crap on the paths. Is none of that an issue where you run? The little rocks are left over from spreading them on icy roads in the winter, and they never get completely cleaned up. And four-wheelers scatter rocks, gravel and debris on the bikepaths all the time. I couldn't imagine running barefoot.

It'd sure be nice to see Rosie and Rocket Scientist when they're "here," but just because they're in Alaska doesn't meant they're "here," if you know what I mean. Same reason I never see Tet when he's in Juneau. It's a helluva trip from Fairbanks.

Nancy, has Washington passed a budget yet? Our legislature just got off their collective butts last week and averted a statewide shutdown. We went through all sorts of contingency planning for layoffs and furloughs, and decided to finalize the plans anyway because we'll probably need to go through this nonsense next year, as well.

The only way I know what I wore earlier this week is I hang stuff to dry in our laundry room and re-wear it for a few times until it's too gross to repeat. I like to only wash my running stuff once a week or so. I have this problem with regular clothes, too, though. I realized a couple weeks ago I wore the same shirt twice, probably with the same pants. Some of my coworkers must wonder if everything is alright....

Trying to load up runs this week to hit 200 for the month. Good grief, my legs are tired. I did a 10.8 mile run yesterday getting out at the end of the day and hitting the Equinox trails for the first time. First 7.3 miles of the course, then return on my regular trail. Nice to get out on the trails again but it's a good reminder of how it's a different sort of running (with lots of walk breaks on the hills). Trying to figure out how I got so far behind, and I see lots of low 40's for the month of June. Gotta get with the program, I have some marathons coming up this fall and I always do much better with mileage volume. Today's plan is 6 easy miles, we could get into the low 80's today.

;;;holly//......ksa is right,

also

I put a little Rubbing Alcohol in the cap before I close up the ShooGoo..........keeps it from attaching to the tube

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

TW--the gun shooting in my neighborhood requires beer drinking first, otherwise they wouldn't have any empties to shoot at.

Erika--oh, come on, it's not like Alaska is big or anything.

This shoe talk is interesting. Lots of variation. I guess I run a good percentage of my miles on gravel, so treads wearing out is never an issue for me; no need for Shoe Goo.  Instead, the mesh/body of the shoe is what eventually deteriorates, especially if I hit sloppy trails.  I've been wearing Asics GT-1000 pretty much forever.  I've never had blister issues and they're relatively cheap ("last season's" can be had for $40-50, when I stock up). I figure, if it ain't broke...  I usually keep three pairs going in rotation to vary the cushioning, saving newer pair for long runs, oldest pair for trails. Retire them at around 600 miles if they haven't fallen apart yet. The only trick is to remember to buy different colors so I can tell them apart. That's not always possible with close-out sales.

Break over; back to work.

Be safe. Be kind.

I run mainly on asphalt and the treadmill, but the treadmill is a low percentage of the total mileage.  I scrape the left outside forefoot and shave the sole right off .

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

70F

3 miles around the college. Then I went to the rec center, showered, went to 0700 mass, and then to Wawa for coffee and the Post. And, full disclosure, donuts. I wonder why I can't lose weight?

Shoe Goo. My dad, may he RIP, used to run in a pair of Thom McAn sneakers back in the 70's. When the shoe would wear out he would go into the basement with the shoe and shoe goo and mend the shoe by gooing the sole back to the shoe and then placing the shoe in a vise for a day or so.

Eventually, he was one of the first candidates for arthroscopic knee surgery... he then bought a Schwin Airdyne stationary bike and would ride it while watching taped episodes of  M*A*S*H on his VCR. He was a man ahead of his time.

I am sad that Tet and Erika will be unable to visit Juneau with us. I figured it was a long shot. But worth trying.

Nice to see tomwhite pool running and whatnot.  I fondly remember his raking competition with TNally and others.

Starr posted some photos on one of these threads. Oh my. I almost cried looking at that Omaha 2005 photo. I was SO YOUNG. I am all wrinkly and my hair is pure white nowadays. I didn't realize how young 42 years was until I became 54.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

catwhoorg

Labrat

10 on my bike before the torrential rain this evening hit.

Got to drive home in some nasty weather.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

flats

turtle runner eximious

It was a lot hotter and humid than they forecasted today, so I went to the gym for my 8+ miles. Walking to my car after the gym I got very wet by a rogue thunderstorm. Ugg.

Michael

evanflein

Rose, we're all getting older. For all the kvetching we do about it, the alternative is much worse.

Warm day here, too. I love it when we get our warm sunny days of summer. It's hot for us, but I'm sure most of you would think it a cooling trend. 78° with a little breeze felt pretty warm when it was at my back. Just enough headwind to cool me off a bit on the way back. Our humidity is at about 29% so it's easy to get parched feeling. 6.2 miles today. Almost caught that darn pace bunny!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I received a text from my friend's wife saying an MRI found fluid around the gallbladder so they inserted a drain tube and will watch to see that this takes care of his current issues.  This was really a best case scenario, so she is pretty relieved.  It must be so hard for her to think that, every time she takes him to the hospital, that this time it might be "it".  If all goes well, though, he should be able to go home on Sunday.  Thanks for all your prayers and supporting comments.

I went 10 miles, after work, then Debbie and I went and cleaned the church.  Our attendance has been so low, lately, that it barely looked like it needed to be cleaned...except for all the pens from the little holders on the back of the pews were all over the floor...not sure what the deal is with that.

I have developed a new owie...the big toe on my left foot has been hurting for that last few days.  I might have to cut back a little before I ramp back up again...we'll see.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Erika - since I only shed shoes for running, I need to run most trails in Merrell Bahria Trail Thongs I got in 2005 for the famed White River 50-mile Endurance Run up-and-down two of the main Mt. Rainier foothills (called “mountains” everywhere else). Trail “improvements” using those little pebbles, usually sharp-edged, mechanically-crushed, down here, have closed off most of the local trails to barefoot fun, to say nothing of being mixed in with many pavements that are otherwise nice-and-smooth for the dreaded “chip-seal” surfaces.  Since I’ve never bothered to reconnaissance marathon, ultra and other courses beforehand, same as for neutralizing the IM rule requiring shoes on the bike and run courses, I need to carry a pair of thongs along as might be needed.   
                          ps - it’s not the only reason but one reason I lov, . . . I mean don’t mind the rain is that it washes a lot of the little erratic pebbles off the bike paths used in many local marathons.

pps - it’s 830 miles and $470 between Frank Maier-land and Equinox land but only $330 for the 909 between Seattle and Juneau (during the summer when two airlines are competing).  Remember when Alaska had four time zones and three hours behind Seattle up there than today’s one hour?
                          ,’
                          ppps - ever since some Mt. Fuji ascents starting in 2009 with members of the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club, I’ve been using their waraji straw sandals on my few remaining trail runs, . . . with Vibram soles I Shoo-goo on to keep ‘em from shredding.
                          Rosie - thanks for all your updates.

no detail is too small for a trip up to the Great Land.
                          Though GS’ll be down here in Seattle at the end of July and I’ll miss another running together, your first hand report’ll be almost like being there too.  We missed a meet-up too in 2005 when I was doing a local half-Iron and Ralph got Washington at the Gateway-to-the-Pacific Marathon a little south of Olympia, . . . and you helped introduce running skirts to PNW (that econo was wearing here-and-there and now-and-then too).  I went down to the GTTP the next year, . . . for what-turned-out-to-be a temperature PR (102o).  
                          Adding prayers for Mike’s friend to survive his awful setback.
                          One of the hard things about getting old is having to watch happen to younger people with families what should be happening to us but, somehow, hasn’t, . . . yet..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)