Masters Running

Monday, Jan. 23 (Read 43 times)

I did not run today, but bought a new chain for my wimpy 14" electric chainsaw, then after I installed it the correct way () I managed to cut up some long branches I had been drying out.  Now having a nice fire, thank you very much!

Wow, Erika...I know it all depends on conditions, wind etc, but I didn't realize you would run at those temperatures.  I went cross country skiing at 9F, and that was cold enough.  I have been at -20C (which is -4F) wearing penny loafers out and about in Quebec City, for winter carnival when I was young and stupid.  Sometimes I think once it gets cold, even colder doesn't feel much different (if you are dressed for it), unlike excessive heat....   Still, all of us are so impressed by your running conditions!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

flats

turtle runner eximious

URD. Someone forgot to put their running shoes in their gym bag   I hate Mondays

Michael

catwhoorg

Labrat

Got woke up early by the baby, just got back to sleep and about 4am our 5 year old wanders into our room, says she feels bad, and throws up on the carpet!

Not the best alarm, but certainly effective.

I had to take the day off to look after her, got 6.6 on the TM once my wife got home

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

flats

turtle runner eximious

Got woke up early by the baby, just got back to sleep and about 4am our 5 year old wanders into our room, says she feels bad, and throws up on the carpet!

Not the best alarm, but certainly effective.

I had to take the day off to look after her, got 6.6 on the TM once my wife got home

Oh my

Michael

3.2 miles Friday before a 6am start to help a friend out, 4.2 mile Sat before my regular shift, no run Sunday before my 6:15 start to pay back time to a friend!! Let's just say it was a looooong weekend!!

8.2 snowy miles this morning, first 5.5 with a friend - felt so good to be out running and the snow, although blustery at times, was actually pretty!! Day 1 done of 2 day ACLS certification - back for more tomorrow!!

Goodnight all!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

We're warming up a lot this week though, and could see mid to upper twenties (above zero!!) by Thursday. Woot!

Uh oh!  It sounds like OUR January thaw is coming to an end.

Today was a speed workout.  8 x 600 meters with 400 meters recovery between each.  Since I knew I would never be able to keep track of .37 miles plus .25 miles .37 miles plus .25 miles...you get the picture...I grabbed my shovel and went to the middle school track.  A lot of it was already pretty clear with our week long January thaw, but the backstretch was covered with about an inch of crusty, slushy, snow.  I shoveled for about a half an hour and got it to where I felt it was good enough to run on...even though it was, now, about an inch of water on most of the backstretch.  But, I got the workout done and, after doing 1 1/2 mile warm up and 1 3/4 mile cool down, ended up with 8 miles.  It felt good.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

Uh oh!  It sounds like OUR January thaw is coming to an end.

You know it's funny, I was thinking that exact thing when I was looking at the forecast! As in "oh boy, Mike and Jeanne are heading for a cold snap!" Hopefully it won't be bad. After all, it's not like we're going to have a week of 30+ temps! But it will be nice to run outside again for a few days.

Catwhoorg, when our oldest was about 2, he was feeling sick and ran from the kitchen, through our bathroom, through our bedroom heading to his bathroom when he stopped by my dresser and said "Mommy, I'm gonna be sick!" and then puked all over our new white carpet. Ok, not totally white, but like an oyster white that was so pretty. It's now covered with spots from kids puking junior advil (why do they dye it purple??) and cat puke. *sigh* oh well. That kid is turning 25 in March, and the current cats don't puke in the bedrooms (old cat does it in the living room and kitchen, nice), so maybe time for new carpets.

Enke, -40 feels so much colder than -20, it's incredible. I've heard people say once it's below -10 it's just all cold, but that's not true. We were at -25 most of today and I was running errands downtown. It really didn't feel all that bad (seriously!). But -40 is just damn cold, and everything suffers. It's going to be so nice this week when it warms up! I can't wait.

5.2 miles on the treadmill today after pulling off the motor cowling and cleaning it out a bit. There's a lot of lubricant pooled up along the edges of the motor housing, that doesn't look good. I'm assuming something somewhere is leaking, but I couldn't find it. Just cleaned it up a bit and put it back together. Called the place we got it and the kid who answered the phone was totally clueless about maintenance and repair services. "What's wrong with it?" he asked. "What does it matter," I said, "I'd like someone to come check it out and service it."

"oh, ok, let me go ask someone.".............. "Can you call back tomorrow? The guy who works on equipment isn't here and he's the one who knows what he can do." ok, fair enough. I'll call back.

evanflein

Hey Mike! Just saw the weather forecast and yep, cold wave coming your way! Hahahhahaha... ok, sorry.

SteveP

Leslie, I hope you recover from dying soon.

Roch, I agree about lightening up a bit.

Sorry to hear about the sick kiddo, Labrat.

A short two after work.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey Mike! Just saw the weather forecast and yep, cold wave coming your way! Hahahhahaha... ok, sorry.

snork!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I hate Mondays

Me, too.

Catwhoorg - hope your little one is better today.

Enke - way to go with the chainsaw!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."