Masters Running

It is Thursday - 3/13 (Read 36 times)

Leslie,  LOL!!!

I still haven't gotten back on the wagon since that giant chocolate chip muffin top.  They are soooo good.  It was all downhill from there - came home that day and had, gulp, some potato chips and wine!!!  My diet lasted 3 days.  Time to start it again.

Just ran 4.1 miles at the horse trails.  Lovely day, now soon off for a walk at Cougar Mtn with the dog.

I'm happy that this is my 3rd day of running and knee feels pretty ok.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

whoa leslie, no wonder you do what that cat wants.

in case anyone's still looking for an easy 50K for their 50th birthday year or something, the first of three Seattle area 12-hours is comin' up next weekend (3/22).  It's an absolutely flat 3.2 mile circuit around Green Lake and even has a walking division someone I know is going to try.  <<<(thatwouldbeme)>>> In addition to the diehard Maniacs, there's high school kids only planning on two or three laps before they go off to their other weekend diversions.  Very helpful for decent placements for the rest of us, even walkers, as they post results by miles not time.

www.DizzyDaze.com (3/22/14)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Leslie, Robin and Enke, of course I'm reading everything now I'm doing the VB6 diet and I'm really liking it a lot.  But while I'm reading all this stuff, I'm realizing how much I don't know.

One day I propose a thread called "HFCS Monday" or named for any given day of the week, in which everyone has to go into their fridge or pantry and find one food that you all of a sudden see it contains "high fructose corn syrup."  I did this for the first time in mid-February when I read this book by the insane doctor Esslestyn (sp.?)  "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease."  AKA, he's not insane, but so maniacal about fat that he won't allow you to eat avocados or nuts of any kind as they have fat in them.

As for me, I stick with Julia Child's advice, eat real food, but in moderation.  You want a piece of peanut butter chocolate something or other? Go ahead, but make sure it's a fresh baked, not processed food item and you don't eat a one pound slice.

My day today:

Breakfast:  steel cut oats with raisins and blueberries

Lunch (after tour of SMU at La Madeleine in Dallas):  Veggie sandwich of mushrooms, sautéed red peppers, onion and melted swiss, and a Caesar salad.

Dinner:  half of a Chipotle burrito (pulled pork) and a half cup of peanuts.

Spareribs

C-R

Evening all.

Spent all day in Dayton at WPAFB and with DP&L. Sorry Holly. No time to run the river. Long but fruitful day.

Got a short run tonight.

Sorry to hear you're not coming Sarge but sound like you have a great time ahead.

Calling it a night.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Hi all.

great stories from our more experienced runners yesterday.  I do hope I'm able to keep moving as I get older.

Jon - What are the other two 50K races and when are they?

Leslie - that is one scary cat.  Well, both cats are scary.

I had my annual physical yesterday morning and got a clean bill of health along with being taken off Zocor after taking it for 12 years.  I guess my change in diet has had a bigger impact than I thought.  My total cholesterol dropped from 205 to 171, HDL increased from 60 to 73 and the doctor said my triglyceride level were barely readable.  I'm waiting on my copy of the complete results.  In three months I go back and get tested again.  I'm hoping it drops some more or at least stays the same.  I really don't like taking meds.

11 miles this afternoon on the TM with a 2 mile warm-up, 8 miles tempo (7:46 pace) and a 1 mile cool down.  Legs felt very energetic even after the 15 miler yesterday.  Tomorrow is 5-7 easy.

Take care everyone and a good night

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Mariposai

Tetsujin, I wish I am free to do one of those 50k races, but life is way too busy right now to fit in any trips anywhere.

Gorgeous running weather this evening. I ran the 10k course of the Orchards in Bloom with the Easy Pacer (whose pace is not so easy to catch up anymore). Then I proceeded to run some speed work. 6x800m @ 5k pace with 90' rest.

Then I came home and enjoyed some East Indian food with some yummie naan bread. Ohh and a glass of good red wine, too.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Ribs, doing VB6 but had swiss on your sammich? Sounds good though... I love grilled veggie sammiches. I'd need more fruit and veggies in my day, though.

My mom's advice on food: Eat real food. Not too much. Enjoy yourself but practice balance.

Leslie, i can resist most pies (just not a real fan) but that choco/PB concoction sounds totally worth it. Hope you enjoyed it.

Pretty exciting to see all the wave/corral assignments being reported for Boston!

We've been having incredible weather this week. Warm, lots of sun, some clouds, no snow (and no rain... yay!), and temps in the 30's and 40's. Nice! Ran 6.1 tonight after work, 43° at the start, 39° at the end. Kind of wanted to do more, but the warm temps are making the fat-tire-bike trail on the bike path really fall apart, and the low snowpack on the plowed bike paths are getting really slippy-soft. So, it was a little more work today than I was wanting. I might try a MLR tomorrow though. Or not. We'll see how I feel.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mike/Posie (enki if you're awake) -

The three local 12 hour races I've done are:

www.dizzydaze.com - 3/22

http://wp12hr.com/  - 5/17

carkeek12hour.com  - 10/25

Dizzy Daze around Green Lake has no hills.

Redmond Watershed on 5/17 had occasional hills that include one long steep ascent and descent each.

Carkeek is nothing but hills (430' ascent and 430' descent every two mile loop = nearly 7,000' for 50k).

For some reason, carkeek is my favorite 'cause i never if this is the time it will finally beat me. oh well.

I don't think the transcendence 12-hour down in Olympia around Capitol Lake on 8/10  is very hilly though. 

however, by that time in the summer, I'm ready for triathlons instead.

http://www.guerillarunning.com/Transcendence_12-Hour_Run.html  8/10

Lots of regular 50K's you'd love though too, including several on the First Call seasonal courses out along the Sammamish Slough that mariposie did.  I'm hoping to do the ultra-dash around Lake Youngs on 5/10 if possible too.  However, none have 12 hour cutoffs! Smile

http://ultradash.goforhope.org/  

others from MM calendar

04/12/2014 Evergreen Squak Mountain 50k/26.2 Ultra   WA 3 Add me
                  04/12/2014 NWTR Rock Creek Ramble 100k/50k Ultra   WA 2 Add me
                  04/19/2014 Skagit Valley Ultras 100k/50m/50k Ultra   WA 9 Add me
                  04/20/2014 Rainshadow Yakima Skyline 50k 50K   WA 3 Add me
                  04/26/2014 Snake River Island Hop 100k/50k Ultra   WA 2 Add me
                  04/27/2014 Mt Si 50m/50k Ultra   WA 21 Add me
                  04/27/2014 NWTR Soaring Eagle 50k 50K   WA 1 Add me
                  05/03/2014 Evergreen Grand Ridge 50k/26.2 Ultra   WA None Add me
                  05/10/2014 50m/50k UltraDash Ultra   WA 2 Del me
                  05/10/2014 First Call Spring 50k/26.2 Ultra   WA 10 Add me
                  05/10/2014 Lost Lake 50k 50K   WA 10 Add me
                  05/18/2014 Rainshadow Sun Mountain 50m/50k Ultra   WA 6 Add me
                  05/24/2014 Evergreen Soaring Eagle 50k/26.2 Ultra   WA None Add me
                  06/07/2014 Evergreen Echo Valley 50m/50k Ultra   WA 4 Add me
                  06/08/2014 Rainshadow Beacon Rock 50k 50K   WA None Add me
                  06/28/2014 Evergreen Taylor Mountain 50k/26.2 Ultra   WA 2 Add me
                  08/02/2014 Evergreen Grand Ridge 50k/26.2 Ultra   WA 1 Add me
                  08/09/2014 First Call Summer 50k/26.2 Ultra   WA 4 Add me

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Loved yesterday's thread. You guys are all so awesome in your own ways. You each contribute something that makes this such a great community.

Leslie, you rock.

Ribs, what is this "moderation" you speak of? There are rumors that it's strictly for monks.

SteveP