Masters Running

The Wednesday Daily, 9.19.12 (Read 392 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Dang, only one page today?  Let me see if I can stretch it to two...

Breeger, have a great trip to Barcelona!  Sounds fun.

Enkie, good to see you!  The altitude is only tough for flatlanders... if you live here, it's no big deal.

Dave, hope your stomach feels better soon.

Doug, sounds like a wonderful vacation!

Mike, sorry the job is tough.  Hang in there.  How are Ryan and Eric doing?

6 miles this morning in Bear Creek Lake Park.  Awesome trail run with an orange sunrise that looked like the woods were on fire.

I'm heading out tomorrow for a long weekend in Vedauwoo Recreation Area (Mike will remember this from the WY marathon) for a rock climbing trip with DH and some of his climbing buddies.   I don't climb at their level but I can go running when they do the hard stuff.   See you guys on Monday!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

Hello everybody!  I, too, feel bad that I don't spend anytime praising everybody's efforts on here.  It's this dang job thing...it's just wearing me out.

I'm with ya.

SteveP

Dang, only one page today?  Let me see if I can stretch it to two...

Enkie, good to see you!  The altitude is only tough for flatlanders... if you live here, it's no big deal.

I'm heading out tomorrow for a long weekend in Vedauwoo Recreation Area (Mike will remember this from the WY marathon) for a rock climbing trip with DH and some of his climbing buddies.   I don't climb at their level but I can go running when they do the hard stuff.   See you guys on Monday!

Page 2 it is, then, wild…..   Have a great weekend rock climbing.

Say, I’ve been wondering, well worrying actually, about how long it will take me to get adjusted to the higher altitude.  I live at 1591’ and the race starts at 5876’ then goes up to 6094’ in 2 miles or so.  After that it’s downhill to 4993’.  We’ll be in Yellowstone from Saturday through Friday so hopefully that will give me time to adjust.  I sure wish I wasn’t such a Nervous Nellie!

I did another practice morning run, brrrr!!!  My thermometer said 43° but I wore short sleeves and capris for my slow hour run around the lake.  I wouldn’t be able to stand around for any length of time like that, but for a run it was fine.  I have my throwaway sweatshirt packed, but I’m sure MrStarr will pick it up for me if he comes to the start of the race.  We’re leaving tomorrow and don’t think we’ll have internet access (no smart phones).  That will be a long time!  I hope I can relax and enjoy our trip.

A quick question for you experienced racers.  Should I do a long run on Sunday, the week before the half marathon?  I ran 12 the last 2 Sundays and those went OK. Higdon has 12 again one week out.  I’m thinking that’s not a good idea unless I’m trying to outrun a bear in YNP.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

It's funny how people mispronounce some places oddly.  Here in South Florida there is a city that is pronounced "Boca Ra-Tone", not "Boca Ra-ton".  If you pronounce it that way we know you're either a snow bird or a "feraner".

And there is the Schuylkill River in Pennsylvania, which is locally pronounced the "Skoo-kull", not "Skoy-L-Kill" or "Sky-Kill" as I did once.  Once once.  Big grin

Bill

Hi Breger!

I got a kick out of this because my grandparents lived in Pompano Beach and we would visit them at Christmas time. It was a big adventure to go to Boca. (Although we pronounced it correctly, we thought we were cool to just say Boca. We also thought Boca Raton translated to "Rat's Mouth" with our elementary Spanish, ha ha!)

And. My family is from that part of PA. Not only is there the Schuykill River but also a road... its nickname is "The Sure Kill" in stead of Schuykill or Skoo- kul)

RCG 

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you