Masters Running

Sunday...........is Bbbbbbrrrrrr a word?? (Read 400 times)

60min bike ride

22-degrees...........

would have froze my Tuckus off..........but this thing has a GREAT seat.

and most

of the sweat froze anyway

=============

Strangely,

I met about 5 or 6 Runners coming at me in my lane, all across from each other,

I said

''Good Mornin' ''

and nobody said anything back

and nobody got over.

which put me

in the middle

of the other lane

with my back to the traffic>>>>>I'm not real comfortable riding this bike yet,  but it kind of pi$$ed me off.

maybe they were Albanians.

..........................good running guys................if you meet any Albanians always say '' Vjdhfyt ssuifg kt''

which,

loosely translated,

means

''Get The Hell Over''

or possibly

''My Goat is Sick''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

It must be...I've used it many times.  Do you plan on riding all winter, tw?

..hi mikeE//.......yep,

I run in the Winter, so I plan to ride in it.....

unless

there's Ice>>>>>which puts me on RACING CRUTCHES on the Padded FootBall Field.

it's a Win-Win situation.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning......guess it's been a while, huh ?

Been running lots.........been working lots. My new job has been the most dificult job ever for me, and I'm not particularly liking it much. It's not being crazy busy that bothers me, as I love being challanged at work, but rather how the business is ran by the owner. Total unorganized chaos, when it shouldn't be that way. I'm very good at what I do, and I know how things should be run, but nobody will listen. The owner has the mentality of beating people down....making people feel worthless and not importaant. I on the other hand like to lift people up, make them feel needed and appreciated.

Oh well, I will hang in there, and keep my eyes open for something else.

My running has been going well, but I broke a toe on my left foot a couple of weeks ago, and sliced it pretty good too. I was running at night after work, and some sharp object went through my running shoe and into my pinky toe breaking it. But all is good now, but it's still sore...but I can run.

I ran 16 easy miles yesterday morning, then for whatever reasons jumped on my treadmill for 4 more miles late last night. LOL...I don't know why Smile

I posted some pictures on face book....I've been doing LOTS of ab and core work. I think it's mainly the planks I do....but I'm starting to get some abs developing, for the first time ever in my life. Considering I used to weigh 260 (ish) pounds (148 now) I'm pretty proud of myself. I think I changed my profile picture here last night to a photo I took the other day.....just for the RA wimmins Wink  OK, not really defined yet...but I'm working on it. LOL

Ok....off on a run - the sun finally came out

Timbo

. CIMG2425

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I'm starting to get some abs developing, for the first time ever in my life.

Abs yes, but I'm seeing a lot of ribs in that picture. Lookin' awful skinny there, Timbo. Maybe you need to put a few pounds back on.  Nice to see your post this morning and good luck with that job situation.

Hi Mike!

Tom - you should've just hollered "coming through" and gone right through the middle of them .  Can't we all just get along? Glad your little tush didn't get stuck to your bike seat Smile

7 miles for me this morning. First time out this season running in snow. It took me a while to get comfortable with my stride but it was really pretty (the first snowfall always is, right?) Pace was a little slow at 9:46 but I don't need to be out there doing stupid things. I've got all winter to do that!

Great craft show yesterday. Made some money, got rid of most of my stuff so DH was happy that there wasn't much to haul back home. Now I'm off to put our turkey carcass in a soup pot, then bake some bread for a nice dinner this evening.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

King of PhotoShop

One thing to remember about the owner Tim:  he's the owner.  All of us have worked for bosses we didn't like.

Today was SpareTire's penultimate training run around White Rock Lake and the Saint joined us today.  We did a mile more and got in 10.3 at a snail's pace, but it was just right for me after Thursday's hard race. Gorgeous day here in Dallas.

Last night's bbq dinner with his family was a smash, my ex and her sister getting up for seconds and thirds, and then later on an ass-kicking game of Trivial Pursuit.  (The Moops won.)

TW, runners really don't care much for bikers, and often for good reason. Hang in there. Glad to see you got in a good workout.  Spareribs

Wanted to go for a longer run this morning, but my legs said NO...

5 easy miles in the PNW drizzle...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

It sure is a cold world when winter hits!  I guess the good thing about being on the somewhat DL for now is that it is freezing.  Of course, by the time I get off it will be even more freezing.  Sad

evanflein you sound like my DW after she has a bout of home office cleaning up psychosis!  Wink  For the next several days she complains that all of the dust it kicked up has her sinuses in an uproar.  Naturally, the thought of keeping her home office in the kind of shape that would avoid all this is totally out of the question.  Roll eyes

Holly S. best wishes on a rapid leg recovery.

fatozzig quick for the prize money what day of the week is today?  Big grin

OrangeMat I sure hope that trail race is someplace warm.  Otherwise it might be a snowshoe trail race!

coastwalker so how goes the light situation?  You have my sympathies.  I even remember my high school physics teacher complaining about the very same thing, one bulb or fuse goes and the whole strand goes dark.  We do not light the house up, but the tree lights can drive me batty.

Jlynne I vote for drinks in Maui along with free tickets, hotel and time to go!

BerthaSlayer I personally thought the CR "disaster" was a bit overblown.  Basically, it was taken over by Active and they put up ads.  That started a revolt and people split between here and another forum.  I would tell you the name of the other one but it escapes me.  (I am not absent minded for nothing!)  In any case, spam was not really the problem.

tomwhite so how did Small Business Saturday treat you?  Well I hope.

Tramps next up 18+ mile runs with wildchild!

stealth_mr once upon a time I looked into the RW forums.  But they were so heavily populated that it seemed to me like talking into a NYC subway car.  Here, the group is large enough to keep the forum interesting but not so large that you do not get to know (as well as one can virtually and on occasion in person) the regulars.

Spareribs I say find out where the two Mike E's live as well as their kid's schedule.  Get some pictures.  Then send he pictures (anonymously of course) along with a "suggestion" that they change their names to say Sam and Charlie.  Problem solved!  Clown

tselbs your family Thanksgiving is still continuing and you are enjoying it!  Shocked  You are a way better man than I am!

stumpy77 what are those things in the pictures you posted called?  I have to get one!

I decided not running today was the better part of valor.  My inner ankle, which was bothering me yesterday, is fine today.  But my outer ankle, which was fine yesterday, is bothering me today.  So another day off it is.  Instead I just did some weights and such as well as hauled up the Christmas village from the basement.

Cooking tip for those that might care:  I have been experimenting with various techniques for roasting vegetables.  The fast way is to put them in a 425° oven for 25 minutes, stirring them once.  That certainly works.  The vegetables get cooked and caramelized.   But if you have the time this will produce better tasting vegetables.  Cook them at 400° for 40 minutes stirring once at the 20 minute mark.  Then turn your oven up to 450° and cook another 5 minutes.  Done.  All I can say is try it.  Just remember to toss with salt, pepper and olive oil prior to roasting.  One last tip, roast the vegetables on baking parchment rather than directly on foil or the pan.  For some reason the parchment produces vegetables with a superior canalization.  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

Cooking tip for those that might care:  I have been experimenting with various techniques for roasting vegetables.  The fast way is to put them in a 425° oven for 25 minutes, stirring them once.  That certainly works.  The vegetables get cooked and caramelized.   But if you have the time this will produce better tasting vegetables.  Cook them at 400° for 40 minutes stirring once at the 20 minute mark.  Then turn your oven up to 450° and cook another 5 minutes.  Done.  All I can say is try it.  Just remember to toss with salt, pepper and olive oil prior to roasting.  One last tip, roast the vegetables on baking parchment rather than directly on foil or the pan.  For some reason the parchment produces vegetables with a superior canalization.  

twocat - thx will try this as i always do the fast way!  ran only 3 this morning into the cold wind because my ankle decided to join everyone else's sore ankles. 

returned GS gift yesterday because it turns out  he already has it. all these grandkids have too many gifts - any way bought another at a different locavore store. fortunately our yuppie town has 3 toy/game stores.  i don't want to know that i would have saved $$$ at amazon!!!

happy runs, biking, and eating all!

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

I met about 5 or 6 Runners coming at me in my lane, all across from each other,

I said

''Good Mornin' ''

and nobody said anything back

and nobody got over.

Tom - I usually have the opposite when I run on the bike path: I smile and say or wave hello, and the bikers simply ignore me as they ride by.  These days I find myself more often just giving a curt nod....

Twocat - good idea about the parchment paper.  Probably makes clean up easier, too.

Timbo - when you posted that picture on FB and I commented on it, somehow my brother in Virginia saw it and thought it was MY foot at first....he was thinking that my feet certainly have grown since he had last seen me....

I don't understand that about FB - how people that are not friends at all can somehow see each other through mutual friends.

My leg felt surprisingly better today (thanks, Twocat - your rapid recovery wishes must have done the trick).  Still whimpering a little but I went very slow, stayed on the TM so I could quit immediately if need be, and went 8.7 miles before the leg told me to stop.  You have no idea how hard it was not to go another .3 just to make it an even 9 miles, but the leg said "done" and I listened......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

10 miles in some blowing snow. None really stuck to the ground. It was nice.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

...twocat//.......SmallBusinessDay went well,

ironically

,,,,,,,had about

a

DOZEN

Oxycodone 30mg #180

PainClinic customers

who wanted

to

Celebrate with me

but I'm just NOT a PartyGuy I guess.......Big grin

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15554633/investigation-raises-questions-about-local-pain-clinics

............for the MathMajors

that's 6-Percocet 5mg per pill.......without the 'cet

U.M.W.B

I had every reason not to run today, after yesterdays 6.5 mile run (my first run of that distance in 7 months)
                            My back hurt, my legs hurt, my foot hurts, and its Sunday with Beer in the Fridge and football on t.v.

Instead I went to the lake and ran the worst 4.5 miles I have ever run, ever.
                            and I feel absolutely great!
                            (now wheres that beer?) Wink

U.M.W.B

coastwalker

TomW, I always look forward to reading your unique perspective on the world around you! I don't have much of a problem with bikers, but then again, few are out at 4 o'dark.

Welcome back, Timbo! Hang in there with the boss, at least till you find something different. As Ribs so eloquently said, he's the owner! That foot is painful to look at - glad it is healing.

MikeE, thanks for explaining your RA name - I think...

Jlynne, I'm glad you accomplished your objectives at the craft show.

Twocat, I took the lights back to HD to let them know it was an inferior product. I took 'em in a Trader Joe's bag, and the woman at the counter was hoping I had brought them some treats (sorry...). All they could do, which was fair, was exchange the lights for new ones. So I took the new ones, hoping I'll get a year or two out of them too before they fail. Frustrating that these are so poorly made. Stumpy, thanks for the fuse tool suggestions.

I like my veggies roasted in a grill wok. It takes about the same amount of time, but a little more attention to shake them up every once in a while. However, I'll be glad to try your oven suggestion, including the parchment paper, on one of those cold winter nights when grilling may not be the best idea.

Holly, I'm glad your leg is better today, and that you were smart enough to call it quits when the leg said it was the thing to do.

I drove to Nashua, NH for the Wolf Hollow Half this morning. It was chilly (low 30s) with gusty winds (teens and higher), so it was challenging to know how to dress. I went with tights, a l/s shirt and windbreaker, gloves and hat. At times, my hands got warm, but at other times, I was very glad to have them gloved, so I think I chose well. This was a new race, and was small, with 386 finishers. There was also a 5K that started about an hour after the half, and covered part of the same course. The course was pavement for the first 1+ miles, and was in a park for the rest of the race till the last 10th or so. In the park it was undulating paved trails (covered with pine needles), and dirt trails. If I knew there was that much dirt, I might not have signed up - because the back leg stays very close to the ground when coming forward in racewalking, having to deal with roots, rocks, and very uneven surfaces is particularly difficult - I almost went down a couple of times when my foot hit something solid. But, since I was already in the midst of the race when I figured all this out, I just kept going. The most fun was in miles 7 through 10.5 or so. First, there was one woman who I had been chasing for a while, and finally got up on her shoulder. I let her pace us for about 3/4 mile or so, and then took advantage of an opportunity to pass her. About 20 yards further up was another woman (red and lime top, black tights, red and lime shoes). When I caught up to her and tried to pass, she picked it up enough to stay ahead. We played cat-and-mouse like that a few more times, or she'd pick it up on an incline, and I'd catch back up on a flat. This went on for at least a mile and a half. I don't know what happened, but I made another pass attempt, and she didn't come with me. I was almost disappointed, and I figured she'd resurface. But she never did, and finished quite a bit behind me. I felt like I was pushing hard the last few miles, and managed to catch a few more laggard runners. But the course was hilly and rutted for most of that section, and my splits were slower than I expected. I finished in 2:25:53, making this the slowest of my 3 halfs in the last month. But it also wore me out the most, and so, like last Thursday's bird, I'm cooked.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

making this the slowest of my 3 halfs in the last month. But it also wore me out the most, and so, like last Thursday's bird, I'm cooked.

Jay

Jay! I was hoping I'd see you as the course doubled back on itself a couple times. This has been my season of half-marathons and also my slowest today. I was toast after battling the wind and the uneven footing made my sore hiking hips bark several times (Note to self: Family hikes the day before a half-marathon may make your hip flexors and piriformis muscles very cranky!) I didn't stick around once my running buddy crossed the line since we both had to get back to W.Mass and we were COLD! Windy cold seems to settle in and not leave me for quite awhile. I had my buddy's heated seats cranked on high. It was a fun race though and they did a great job for a debut half-marathon on a holiday weekend. I was 3rd overall woman as I look at the results on-line---cool! especially since it was six minutes slower than my last 1/2.

Nice work Jay and I would have been falling all over the place with race-walking---the roots and rocks were plentiful. I am impressed with your racing always!

Hey all....took a break for awhile, but I've been running lots as always. The racing season is winding down for me (Hot chocolate 5k next weekend, Holiday 1/2 in CA where I hope to see Ilene on 12/9) and then that's it until February as far as races. It's been a great season though with a 10k PR, a slight 1/2 marathon PR, a xc race as part of a masters women's team last weekend and we placed 2nd and won $100 and many Saturdays yelling for the kiddo and his mates during xc season.

Big shout-outs to all---returning, long-time, and new---all y'all.

Can't promise to catch up, but I'll try and stay with it going forward.

And Bbbbbbbbrrrrrrr is absolutely a word!