Masters Running

Wednesday, Oct. 14 Runs & Rests (Read 389 times)

Tramps

Hi all.  It’s a crazy week here as I try to cram 5 days worth of work into 3 so I can head north tomorrow for a long weekend.  Minimal running this week, just to stay loose.  I do plan on trying to run BayState on Sunday—at least as a training run, if nothing else.  I’m pretty much off-line while travelling so I’ll check in next week and let you know if and how it went!

ETA: Geez, forgot the most important thing: Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Good luck with the sunshine, Aamos. We've been having a wonderful string of sunny days this month and I'll hate to see it end. It's gotta snow (and stick) one eventually though.

Deb, I usually sleep ok but the night before the marathon I'm usually a mess, waking up all the time afraid I'll oversleep my alarm. Not this past one though. Got to bed at a good time and slept right through till alarm at 5:30.

Really looking forward to hearing about Columbus! I think we're going to see some really good times this weekend.

Holly, my capris are sort of like that, but I don't think they're as "nice" as that... not as techie fabric. Maybe a little wash and a ride in the dryer will tighten them up a bit? I think you'll like them.

Twocat! Well, that doesn't sound like much fun, but it does sound promising. You should write a book. Hope it works out well and you're cleared to run soon.

I'm getting really antsy to run or do something. Too busy yesterday and last night for anything so hoping today will be better... but it'll have to be after work whatever happens. Seems like it's been forever since I ran, but it was just Sunday. I guess that's not too long, but why does it feel like forever? (sorry SLO and Twocat...)

Afternoon, Folks -

I didn't have time to look at yesterday's daily, so will peruse it later.

Tammy and Woods Lady - We're getting that storm, as well, but it's really warm here.  Weirdly warm.

Twocat - Okay, the whole "blood" thing does not sound like fun, nor the minimal walking, but it does sound like things are definitely improving.  {keeping fingers crossed!}

Holly and Erika - I tried on a pair of capris the other day and, although I think they're a great option for when the weather's too cold for shorts, but not cold enough for my winter tights, I feel like they make me look dorky, even though I've seen lots of women wear them and look great in them. . . . . . but then, maybe it was the brown trouser socks I had on with them in the changing room.

Had a bad stomach episode Monday after I went to bed, which left me NOT wanting to work out Tuesday (and also having to, once again, lay off the chocolate for awhile. )    This morning, though, I felt much better, but boy howdy was it ever blustery when I went out for my 5 miles and muggy!  Ugh!  They expect it to hit 69 today with rain and winds.  They were calling it sultry on the radio.  That always reminds me of "Throw Momma From the Train."   Anyway, dressed too warm, and it was a blessed relief to have to go the bathroom after a couple of miles.  Walked into the grocery store where it was nice and cool and wished I could've finished up my miles in there.  As it was, the first 3.5 were okay (I was doing strides), but the last 1.5 miles - cripes!  Felt like someone had poured lead into my poor legs.  What's a gal to do in that situation? Practice power walking the hills for those trail runs.  Worked out great!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I start to have taper sleeplessness at this point, but it's probably more related to all the last-minute preparations for traveling. 

I'm wearing Under Armour capris under my running skirt on Sunday.  Looks like it'll be rainy, windy and in the 40's.  Oh well, some races are just like that.

One more little run tomorrow, and then I'm done.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

still working my way back and still working my a$$ off at work.  I get about an hour and a half between shifts so I decided the gym would work the best. I got  my three miles in and managed a pretty good upper body workout and some much needed core work , This worked out great as my gym is only a half mile from work so I think I will go with this for awhile. The weight work felt better than I planned with my shoulder issues so I guess I'll go with it while it still feels good.

I'm off to Oklahoma to see my grandbaby this weekend. The first time since she was born. She is 5 months old and almost crawling and has two teeth. Man you miss a lot when they live so far away. Thankfull for SKYPE or I wouldn't have made it this long.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

dg. thanks but given all the false starts I am keeping my expectations low.  I tell you this cold weather running stuff starts waaaaay too early.  Stay warm.  On the other hand when you run longer you do have an excuse to drink hot chocolate!  So I guess it is not all bad.

Aamos if you see the yellow thing send it here to NYC (where I am until late Friday).  I have not seen it or anything close.  Word on the street is little wet things are coming in force too.

Tramps good luck with the race/training run.

evanflein actually I am supposed to be writing one with Econo but I cannot say either of us have been as good about producing material as we should have been.  On the other hand, it has nothing to do with running so my whole experience will, alas, likely be for naught.  BTW, when you can run (and be glad you can!) a few days does seem like forever.  I hope you get out for a few miles today.

fatozzig your run sounds like quite an experience today.  An experience I hope not to have, but an experience nevertheless.    As for me, see note to dg. above.  We will see what happens.

pdr think of tapers as training while getting to be lazy!  Think of how many people would love to have that problem!

hallar maybe they can send some dirty diapers via Skype if you really miss having the newborn so far away!  A few of those and perhaps the occasional visit will start to look better!  Enjoy your visit.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

darn news twocat...and I was so looking forward to running a mile or two with you during my trip to your neck of the woods.

3 recovery miles in the rain.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

Twocat, I can understand that.   fingers crossed.      ... thanks for the stay warm wishes.

along that line... I got all my throw away stuff today!   but I like some of it.   don't want to throw it away.. now what to do?

Hi Tramps, I was wondering about you.   good luck Sunday, hope you are not hurting.   and thanks Smile

Erika, I'm glad you got a good night's sleep this time!  can see being afraid of sleeping through.. even though I almost always wake up whether I want to or not.      thanks for asking about me... it was , oh last week I think, & I didn't get back to post for a while.   I'm doing ok.   (ok, I'm majorly stressed)(but ok!)    Haven't slept well in a while, so I feel like a 2 yr old that didn't get their nap.  Well anyway, you gave me good advice, thanks.   keep trying to remember to enjoy the experience. 

PDR I know the preparations are a big part of this.  I don't have any routines down, which doesn't help.  So sorry your weather will be like that..     good luck!

Nancy, how's taper so far?  

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nancy, how's taper so far?  

Debs, stay away from these people who think tapering just means running farther is okay as long as it is slower or running faster is okay as long as it is shorter.  Especially watch out for the one who missed a 10k PR by 15 seconds last week and then got revenge in this week's 10/11 mary with a 15 MINUTE! PR.

Track afternoon for me.

This speed workout is so much more fun when the wiseone is watching me,

Quote from Mariposai on 10/12/2009 at 9:03 PM

......I was just going to go for a few miles, but my legs just wanted to keep on going, so I kept running . This brings me to 67 miles for the week, the highest weekly miles I have ever ran in my life. . . . and now let the taper begin. He said: oh boy...

Quote from Mariposai on 10/10/2009 at 5:50 PM

22 miles for me enjoying the Columbia River as it meanders thru the hills and valleys. I was able to fit in  just one 20, one  21 and one 22 miler and that is all folks. Now let the taper begging and NYC here I come...

ps - I am now selling up to 37 extra taper days in case any one needs any,

twocat - how many do you have?  I heard timmy wasted all his in Seattle.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

tapering is going great. I just love taper time. I am so weird...I love the training part of the marathon running and normally get a bit sad when taper time arrives.

dg gooooooooooooo. This is your weekend dearest one. Your first marathon is like your first love...you will NEVER forget it...so enjoy it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

Tet, thanks.  you crack me up.   and also are very wise.

Nancy thanks to you to!  just what i needed to hear.

perfect timing you 2.   words to sleep by!

TammyinGP

Tet's words are 'words to sleep by" ????

hmmm, that's interesting. . . to me, Tet's words are more like a rubik's cube - all mixed up and almost impossible to figure out, yet you don't want to just give up on it either. . . so after a bout of frustration trying to figure out what in the hell he's saying, sometimes you just gotta break it down into simple steps and figure out one sentence at a time . . .and then it all comes together in magical uniformity. 

and that's what I love about Tet.

that and he knows how to have a good time in the hottub

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thank you tammy.  You know I'm still achin' for not being able to be the kind of proxy for Johnny a good friend would have been and that Johnny was worthy of if that so-called good friend wouldn't have been somewhere else instead of with you and all the goddesses for the Seattle Rock'n'Roll extravaganza that Johnny missed too.  I hope we can all make up for it with another threesome stopover here like when you and Johnny came through Seattle from the Ragnar with Lynden last summer. whoops, gotta go give debsie another call and make sure she's asleep.

eta - uhmm, could you give her a call too about the proper hot tub attire?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Hmmm, and yeah, sometimes I think I understand him better as time goes on. Sometimes worries me... Hey! I won't take it personally that you bailed on both Seattle RnR AND the RVM... so when are we going to see you again, oh barefoot one? 

6.1 miles for me today after work. Got a little chilly as the sun was going down behind the hill.

Race Report is posted....