Masters Running

Tuesday 3/26 (Read 46 times)

lamerunner

Good morning! It is getting a little more Spring-like though still snow on the ground here and coolish. I finally got out running again this morning after my yak trak episode last week, easy 6.5 miles. Both knees ok though not perfect.  The one with the knee brace a bit achy.  I have another appt tomorrow. I may ask about gel injections; anyone know about those?

Mike, sorry about your troubles with Eric. You are a saint. They are not easy and it doesn't end at 18; that is for sure. I have had amusing discussions with the young attorneys here who have babies; they were amazed last Spring that I flew home for San Francisco on a red eye after helping my 18 year old DD with a few things...

Nice running and happy tapering to all the Boston runners.. still pretty good skiing and snowy Spring hking around here, a nice change from last year. 

King of PhotoShop

Thanks for starting us Lame.  I too feel bad for Mike E.  We all do the best we can.

A brisk 4-miler on local streets as I gave Riblet my car today.  I head out to Pittsburgh this afternoon.   Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, Lame and Ribs and all that follow.

A not-quite brisk 4 miler for me that felt harder than I thought it should have.  I wouldn't be showing the effects of Sunday, right?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Good morning lamerunner, Spareribs and Stumpy and all those who follows.

Lamerunner, you are so right. Parenting does not end at 18. We just need to keep on loving them right where they are at and just as they are.

Speaking of kids, my oldest son is still home visiting us from Seattle. He is all excited because this week he will hear from the Peace Corps where his station for the next two years will be. We are so proud of him for choosing Peace Corps as his pay-back to society mission. My DH was also a PC volunteer, so we are happy that we now will have a second generation PC volunteer in the family. As a mother I hope and pray that he is not sent off to India or Africa, but I just have to trust God on this one.

Up at 5;30 for a nice smooth run. 7 total for me, 5 with my running buddie as we chatted away while the darkness was turning into light.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

I'm glad your knees are treating you a little better, Lamerunner. I don't know about gel injections, so do your research and ask a lot of questions before deciding to do it or not. Pros? Risks? Side affects? Long-term issues? Alternatives?

DS made a good choice, Mariposai. I also hope he lands in a safe place.

Have (another) great trip, Ribs. You go to Pittsburgh a lot, don't you?

Sunday is history, Stumpy! Well, OK, you might still have an ache or two.

My meeting last night ran way too late, so I slept in this morning. I've got another meeting tonight - I'm leading this one, so I know who to blame if I get home late again...

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hi all - fly by PBJ here.

Haven't posted since I was about to run a 30k in Tennessee.

I ran it - came in 5th out of 8 in the age group.  It was a little hilly - still averaged 7:54 per mile.  I'm okay with that...

Mike - sorry to hear about your difficulties with Eric - hang in there.

No run for me yet today - I may hit the TM tonight.  Still sore after the 20 miler on Sunday.  I bonked at 18 - lack of lunch may have contributed.  That, or the extra 10 pounds I've been carrying around.

20 days 'til Boston...

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, good luck with Eric.  You're doing the right thing.  You didn't cook your omelets on a camp stove last night by any chance, did you?

I'm taking a rest day (Gee, I love taper!  Roll eyes) but I thought you'd all like to know that the forecast for Saturday in Troutdale, OR (near the race start) is low of 46°, high of 73° and clear.   And the forecast for Dodson, OR (near the turnaround) is low of 37°, high of 70º and partly cloudy.  A bit warm for me, but at least no rain is in the forecast for several days either side of the race.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

"Have (another) great trip, Ribs. You go to Pittsburgh a lot, don't you?

Jay"

The 5th largest bank in the U.S. is HQ'd there and they are my largest client.  About one-third of all the travel I do is to Pittsburgh for that reason.

Spareribs

stumpy, nice half.  Mike, my thoughts are with you and Eric, hoping for the best outcome in the long run.  You're being a good dad.    As parents, we can't help but be there for our kids (mine are 33 and 29).  Keep strong and keep supporting Eric.  fatozzig, how sad to have your last training run with your friend, Karen.  One, or both of you, needs to be planning some road trips in the future to get together. BTY, it's good to hear from you.  mari, good luck to your son on his Peace Corps posting and experience.  PBJ, good job on your 30K.

Nice long runs for Holl, enke (logest in over a year), deez, Mike, Tammy, and Tramps.  Good job on the speedwork for Tramps..

This morning, it was in the low 20s and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:33 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

C-R

Frankly I think ribs is a closet Steeler and Penguins fan. That would explain the travel to PA. Wink

Mike E - I am sad to hear about your issues with Eric but I have to say I am so impressed in your dedication to continue to be a dad. Anyone can be a father but it takes someone with dedication, heart and courage to be a dad. It will work out and we'll be keeping you in our prayers.

PC for posai's DS. That is so cool. One of my good friends was in Samoa and it changed him forever (for the better too).

Flying PBJ - a food fight in the Masters forum? Good to see you survived the 30k and 7:54 is a good pace.

Things turn to spring and Jay starts sleeping in. Wow.

Nice 8 miler Tom.

Had a poor lunch run. Legs are dead but I will try again later tonight with DS. He is chomping at the bit for varsity T&F trials tomorrow. Hope he does well but more than anything I hope he leaves nothing on the course.

How are those brackets? Mine is so bad it's comical but at least it was fun to discuss.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TammyinGP

I took a few days off this week for spring break, so was home yesterday and it was a pretty nice day out so did some gardening work, raking, playing badminton with David, etc.  legs were still a bit sore yesterday after  Sunday's 20 miler, so i didn't do any running. But this afternoon while david is at track practice I'll get in some running.

David requested lasagna for dinner tonight, so I'm making some french bread and next will start on rolling out some homemade pasta also. Will also make up a pound of spaghetti and just put in the freezer. Once I have the pasta roller out and all set up, I might as well make a few batches of pasta.

have a good day all!

Tammy

Slo

Mike

The most impressive thing to me about reading your story is that your son called you. I'm sure there are many people he could have called but he put is full faith and trust in you.

New skirt in town

Mike

The most impressive thing to me about reading your story is that your son called you. I'm sure there are many people he could have called but he put is full faith and trust in you.

+1.  I can only hope that my son will feel that he can trust me that much when he gets older.

7.9 miles with some fartlekky intervals.  My calf is feeling pretty good, but I just didn't want to test it with the speedy repeats that were on my training plan.  So I did the mileage, with a peppiness, but no downright speed.  Calf still feels great, so I think I made the right decision to be conservative.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Maniac 505

Just starting my week off.  easy 4 miler after I woke up this afternoon.

Mike:  So sorry you are going through this but +1 on what others have said that it is great that he still trusts and turns to you.

Mari. congrats about  DS,  I hope he is sent someplace cool.

Marathon Maniac #957

Late post, for me, so just a quick one.  Drove from my north office to my south eye doctor after work, arrived home to get back in the car and meet an out-of-town friend for dinner with my DH and another couple.  Good friends are rare, and it was nice to visit with these.

Another paralegal where I work put in her notice yesterday, and my boss surprised me today with a nice bonus check, with a note that said, "Thanks for all the hard work you do!"  While I am a little over-stressed at my job, I do indeed love it and find it rewarding, but it was especially nice to get some recognition for the work I do.  Just in time to help a little with the down payment on DD's braces next week...

4.5 miles for me this morning on the TM as I started with season 3 of Downton Abbey.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."