Masters Running

Dang Early Saturday Daily, 2.3.18 (Read 38 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

It won't be my best, but I'll give it my best.

Mike - I am quite sure it will still be faster than most of us can ever hope to achieve!

Well, the Flying Pig Marathon has sold out, but I was able to sign up for the waiting list, and within 24 hours received an invite to register, so I did.  If I don't run anything sooner, this will be my 40th marathon or ultra.  Then I signed up for Another Dam 50k a month later.  I have run that 5 times already - with a registration fee of $20 that covers a finisher's tech shirt, it is quite a bargain.

Our pastor is a big football fan, and every Super Bowl Weekend the team goes all out for a super-fun service, with a little bit of message in there.  We went to the 4:00 service and had a blast.  It was complete with a comedian, a spectacular pregame show, some video footage of our team's help with hurricane relief in Houston, and a great message about Christ's early life.  The football theme even went to hot dogs being served after the service.  The pastor commented, "Some churches die of seriousness, but not ours!"

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Opus, I think Holly summed it up pretty well. So nice that you have this time with him and for him to get things in order and feel like he's taking care of what needs to be done. Hospice folks are amazing and if he's not in pain that's such a blessing. Best wishes to you and your family to enjoy the time with him that you have.

Surly Bill, ouch. I hate falling. Hope all is ok, happy birthday and welcome to a new age group!

Jay, someone's gotta do it, right?

Holly, I was thinking it was just as well on the Pig. Takes some pressure off, really. Good for you for getting in on the wait list!

What a beautiful day here today. Not a cloud in the sky, bright sunshine and it's actually warmed up a bit! I think it got to about zero here and only -7 in town. And the sun is gaining some strength so there's even some dripping going on from our roof (which will turn to ice very quickly!). No workout for me today other than a marathon shopping trip (holy carp, the day before the Super Bowl looked like the day before Thanksgiving!) and now some long overdue snow clearing. I guess that's a workout in itself.

So here's a sideline story and why I think the store was so crowded... Walmart made a big deal of giving their employees raises, but the real story is they are paying for it by closing several stores, including all the Sam's Club stores in Alaska (one here and two in Anchorage). Sam's last day was the 26th of January and that store was always sooooo busy, I think the crowd in Fred Meyer today was displaced Sam's shoppers. Oh, and we get the last laugh though, because we'll have Costco moving in this spring! Win/Win, if you ask me. 

30 min/2.42 miles this a.m. in some foggy conditions, then it burned off and today has been absolutely spectacular.  I shoulda got some yard work done, but I ended up doing a bunch of housecleaning, including cleaning and oiling our kitchen cabinets (that alone took about 3 hrs) and doing a butt-load of laundry.  I'm pooped now, but am working the Welcome Center at church this evening.  *sigh* I see caffeine in my future.

Happy Birthday, Surly Bill!!!  Hope the aches and pains subside soon.

Holly - God has an incredible sense of humor.  Look at the wildebeest. 

Anybody have recommendations for furniture covers that actually stay in place and are easily washable?  The ones we got are an incredible PITA and I hate them.  It's a constant battle to keep them in place and covering things.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, stuck my nose out the door this morning....and it came back blue (upper teens and a 5 to 10 mph wind) so I skipped the half marathon this morning (hadn't signed up yet).  Sort of disappointing, I ran it fairly well last year and thought I could build on it some.  Anyway, when it warmed up I got out for 10.5 miles at an 8:35 pace.  Also got the floor mopped and laundry done at my apartment.

Surly, Happy Birthday and good luck in your new age group (once you're healed of course)!

Have a great night everyone!

Surly, Happy Birthday and good luck in your new age group (once you're healed of course)!

some show-off in his late 50's posted a 10:13 3k today. I'll need all the luck I can get.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy new AG, Surly.  Hope there's nothing major damaged

4 miles around the lake this morning.  about 16 on the way out and 20 on the way in.  Nekkid run again.  Maybe I can cure myself of always needing the garmin on.  Probably not.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Happy Birthday Surly Bill

Holly, I am glad to hear that you were able to get in for the Pig Marathon! Sorry that Erika and I can't be there. Funny that we both are on the side line at the same time. What a fun day at church you had today!

Dave59, nice way to redeem your time by watching TV and reading before the gym opened Smile

tomwhite, what can I say, you are an inspiration to me! Nice to have been missed by the swimmers!!!1

Avenger Doggie, it was so nice to hear from you the other day, nice pictures too!

Opus, thanks for sharing with us the story and the history your father has with his house. 60 years of calling that place a home. That would be tough to depart from it. Be strong! We got you covered with prayers and hugs.

Spacityrunner, well said  and nice relaxing 2 miler today!

RunnerKSA, you are such an inspiration!!! I admire your daily runs!

Well, yesterday was another testing day for my knees. I drove to the park to run the half mile loop with access to my car only a few minutes walk should I need to bag the test.  I was able to run/walk for 4 miles. All went well, so today I decided to take advantage of the warm weather we are having now (40F) to visit the the same park for an  hour on my feet, walking, running, walking mostly. I am eager to see how happy is the knee with me tomorrow.

While I am months from being able to start training for a marathon, today's progress gives me hope.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

While I am months from being able to start training for a marathon, today's progress gives me hope.

This makes me 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Tom White- I don't see any stick or critters or ice cream on Mars. That is weird.

Holly - I'm still waiting for my bone. Dad says he remembers your first marathon from Cool Running. There was a big river and the route got changed. Did you see any sticks or squirrels?

Surly Bill  - I hope you get to have ice cream for your birthday.

Erika - Dad is very grumpy at Wal-Mart right now.

Holly - God has an incredible sense of humor. 

Can you imagine the look on the person's face when they caught a big big fish and Jonah climbed out and telled everyone to be nice?

Hi Butterfly Lady!!!

Me and Dad did not go run run run today. It made me crazy and hyper. Dad did take me to work with him so I can see what he has to do to get ice cream. He set up a little bed for me in his office and I laid down and watched him on the computer a lot. I don't see him use the computer with lots of cloths on very often. He typed a bunch and had lots of water and coffee. He keeped saying that he works with knuckleheads. Dad calls me and other doggies knuckleheads a lot when we go run run run. So I guess he works with good dogs.

Sometimes I would get up and wander around but not really do much beside being annoying and need attention. Dad says that I will be a perfect manager.

We got up and worked on things in his warehouse. I decided to help him and I found a nice little stick.

Dad talked about morons a lot too. I don't know what they are, but I want to make them go run run run. Dad got his coat on and we went out side.

Oh My Gosh!! Everywhere there were great big huge sticks!!! Everywhere there were sticks sticks sticks!!!!! No wonder he goes there every time!

Dad got on a weird truck and picked the sticks up way high!

I did not want to get anywhere by that! I did have fun chasing Dad when he drived it around.

Dad went and typed some more when we got could. He used lots of bad words and he said he is the only one at work who isn't nuts. Take it from me - his talking dog - Dad might be wrong.

I was very tired and getting hungry. Dad shut off all the lights and we started to go home. Dad stopped at a nice little store and I got ice cream for helping him at work.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

SteveP

Opus77, I'm very sorry to hear about your father.  May your family find courage and strength.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai - yay for progress!  Bummer that you and Erika can't join me, but it will still be here next year, so maybe we can make it work then.

AD - glad you got your ice cream!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."