Masters Running

Weightloss Healthy Eating Challenge - Week 4 (Read 369 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I tend to get really hungry in the late afternoon, too. Here are some of the snacks I have: Lite yogurt (80 cal) with Fiber One sprinkled (20 cal) = 100 cal Lite string cheese (60 cal) with a can of tomato juice (35 cal) = 105 cal Fiber One bar (140 cal) or Zone Bar (210 cal) Cup of soup = varies, usually 100-140 cal. I usually make up a canned soup mix at home and split it in two containers for work. Piece of fruit (apple, cantaloupe, grapes) (roughly 80 cal) and ½ c. low-fat cottage cheese (80) = 160 cal I really recommend keeping cans of tomato juice or V-8 handy, because they are very low in calories but filling. Sometimes when I get up in the middle of the night and have hunger pangs, I find a can of tomato juice will make them disappear.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks for the input, everyone. I bought that book and just from the first few pages, put sort of a game plan together for today. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) hunger is not usually a problem for me in the afternoon, which is why I know I'm not getting enough in me throughout the day. Also, I am never sure what's going to make me nauseous at this point. My favorite cereal and fruit bars did me in a couple of days ago. Sad Anyway, I made that smoothie recipe in the book w/1/2 cup ff yogurt, 1 cup fruit juice, and 1/2 a banana. Mixed it all together with my handy dandy Braun hand-held thinga-ma-jigger. Had that first thing this a.m., then before I left for work, coffee and a ww trail mix bagel w/cc. For the rest of the day, I am armed with a PBJ and an apple for lunch, the rest of the banana, a sandwich baggy of dried apricots and prunes, and some Triscuits. I think I also still have some brown rice in the fridge here at work. I'm gonna hit the store tonight for some frozen fruit for the smoothies, some of those Laughing Cow cheeses that I can keep here at work, and we'll see what else looks decent. Holly - I love string cheese, but it doesn't love me. One stick of that and no bathroom for me for at least 24 hrs. Roll eyes Hey! Just had a thought! Maybe that's what I should eat before my trail runs instead of anti-diarrhea meds!! Big grin

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Forgot to step on the scale yesterday, so did it this morning. I am the same as last week, but I'm not surprised. Way too much schoolwork at the moment, so didn't hit my early morning running goals. I have been up so late writing papers the last thing I want to do is get up early right now. Eliz- let me be another one to add...You look fabulous! I know I've never seen you, but I am very perceptive.
          leslie - sounds like you have a great plan going!! Nancy Clark is big on peanut butter -- YIPPPEEEEE!! i LOVE peanut butter!! just have to watch the portions holly -- great tips!! the V-8 is a great way to get veggies in if you can't fit them in in solid form and i really like the mini baby bell lite cheese and the laughing cow cheese and speaking of those Fiber One bars --- does anyone have GI disturbance from those?? they don't agree with me at allBlush

denise

and speaking of those Fiber One bars --- does anyone have GI disturbance from those?? they don't agree with me at allBlush
            Yes!!! They taste great but can't eat 'em - they do horrible things to my "food processing unit!" I had another horrible week. 126.5 - up again. Only 1/2 a pound, but up nonetheless. And this is after how many days of Lent where I've given up my wine during the week and all sweets. Sad Speaking of books, take a look at "Eat This, Not That." I can't remember the author's name (and I loaned the book to a woman I work with). The author was on the Today Show a couple of weeks ago. You think you're eating healthy things, but this book will show you how even your supposedly good choices are not always so good. For all you Fiber One bar eaters - they're on the "good" page. It was a quite interesting read. Congratulations to all the "losers" this week. Keep up the good work. Apparently, I haven't quite figured out how to lose weight, and I know it's going to get worse as I turn 57 in a couple of months. I'm really depressed...
              Jlynne, do NOT be depressed about getting older. Think back to how much better shape you're in than when you were, say 50? I will be 60 in May and am delighted that I only feel 52 or so. Not sure how I look! Denise et al., I think one might have to work up to the Fiber One bars if you're not already eating a lot of fiber.. I try to eat lots of green peppers and other high fiber veggies throughout the week, which, sorry for being real here, keeps the colon cleaned out! So, I use Fiber One bars as an "adjunct" to the rest of the diet and yes, my stomach is sometimes in turmoil, but I think that is a good thing as it is getting "adjusted" to a cleaner way of life. I rely on fiber more than anything else to lose weight.
              evanflein

Fiber One bars get a lot of their fiber from an additive that may not add to the healthful fiber you're trying to get, but can add to GI disturbances. They can claim the total fiber on their label, but it's not the same as fiber from whole grains, vegetables or fruit. So... eater beware. I can't remember what the issue was, but it was in my Nutrition Action newsletter from the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), an excellent magazine... but I've since recycled that copy. After a lot of traveling, big opulent dinners and lots of "receptions," I'm home and at 144 this morning. Better than I was expecting, really. Ate well (although probably not enough, really) today, and leave again tomorrow for a whole work week in San Francisco. Oy.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

JLynne - I bought the Eat this not That grocery store book a couple of weeks ago and love it. It was eye opening in many ways. I like the Fiber One bars - but only eat them when I need a litte something sweet and chocolate. Of course with chocolate out of the picture until Easter - they are just sitting in the cupboard. I am happy to say that I am finally at 136 solid on the scale this morning. I was begining to wonder if I was ever going to actually loose any weight. 2 more pounds and I'll be happy!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice job, Mary! As for Fiber One bars, they're mostly just "emergency rations" for me. I keep one in my purse to stave off hunger when I get caught far from home, to avoid giving in to temptation in some worse way, like a fast food drivethru...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."