Masters Running

MidWinter 10-Mile Classic RR (Read 147 times)

coastwalker

I decided to enter this race as a tune-up for my half, which is in two weeks, but I couldn’t decide if I wanted to pace myself through it or race it. I woke at 4am on race day, and showered, ate, dressed, and packed my bag, while watching the men’s finals at the Australian Open (Nadal and Fedderer were brilliant!). DW woke in time to wish me luck and remind me to bring home a big winner’s check (our standing joke). I left just after 7, and pulled into the high school in Cape Elizabeth (ME) just before 8:30. I checked in and then just relaxed and continued hydrating for a while. I also kept a look out for MaineRunnah, but never did see him - bummer. I did, however, meet up with a runner I know from home, and another racewalker I’ve seen at other races. He said he was going to run/walk this race - there was no walker’s division, so it didn’t matter what he did. He asked my plan, and I told him I was still undecided, and would probably decide based on how I felt after we all got going. It was in the low 20s, overcast, and with just a slight breeze. I wore tights, a couple of lightweight shirts and a light windbreaker, fleece cap and gloves. I turned out to be slightly overdressed, but not uncomfortably so. At the start, I lined up about 3/4 of the way back. I try not to be in front of too many runners, but at the same time, I’m quick enough that I needn’t be the last one across the start line. The cow bell rang and we were off, sort of. The starting chute and driveway were narrow, so we trotted for a bit, then bunched up and waited for those in front of us to get going again. I always find this frustrating! But we got onto an open road soon enough, and we could all spread out and find our pace. The course was a big loop, with constant rolling hills through suburban neighborhoods, open fields, and a wildlife preserve. None of the hills were big, but some were quite long. It was a good, well-monitored course. Soon after the start, I saw the other walker a few hundred yards in front of me. He said he was shooting for a 12:00 pace, even with his run/walk strategy, so I thought he’d be fairly easy to catch. I passed him at about 3 miles, and we cheered each other on as I went by. I decided that my strategy was going to be to keep up a good fast pace and A) not go out so hard that I would flame out before the finish and B) work on good technique (aggressive arm swing, fast leg turnover) to keep my speed up. I’ve been know to overstride when I was trying to force myself to go faster, and that has always been counterproductive. After I passed the walker, I looked for other runners to try to pick off. I passed a couple in the next couple of miles. At about mile 5, I saw a woman up ahead i a pink jacket. Even though she was a ways ahead of me, and I wasn’t making up ground on her too quickly, I decided to try to catch and pass her before I ran out of race. I was just a step or two quicker than her on the downhills, but could pick up a little more on the inclines. Still, the miles were going by and she was still a good 30-40 yards in front of me. The first 3/4 of Mile 10 was all uphill. Finally, just a little bit before the crest, I inched by Ms. Pink. Hooray! Then we turned into the high school grounds and the last quarter mile downhill to the finish. Half way down that hill, Ms. Pink, still with something in the tank, went by and beat me by 6 seconds. I was glad for her that she had a strong finish, and glad for me that she still helped me have a better race. After the race, as is usually the case, I was about as useless as a sack of jello. But I drank, ate, stretched and just sat for a while, and became human again. I went home without the big check, but with a decent race under my belt. Here are the numbers: 1:51:55 (11:12 pace) My watch was 1:51:17, 11:09 Splits: 10:55, 11:06, 11:07, 10:58, 11:04, 11:23, 11:12, 11:22, 11:14, 11:08. I figure I lost my focus in miles 5 and 8, and it is easy to see how much of a difference sloppy technique can make. Thanks, Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jay: Boy we weren't too far apart form each other on arrival as I think we pulled in around 8:40. I looked for you as well as we had staked out a table in the cafeteria and met up with some other friends and I walked around talking it up with a few of the runners I regularly see at the races etc. Glad to see you had a good time anyways. Congrats on a great race even if the Pink Lady ended up sneaking by you! I think you probably helped pull each other to a strong finish. I don't think we could have asked for better conidtions, 20+ degrees and no wind to speak of is pretty unusual on this course! Big grin Maybe we'll meet up some other time, I'll post my report when I have a little more time.
        Nice detailed report. too bad about pink lady... Anyone that gets out and races in mid-winter is my hero.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Good job, Jay. That's some speedy walking. Congratulations. TomS
          Henrun

Jay, once again you had a good race. I ran that a few times in the distant past and always considered it my favorite winter race. Do they still have a bagpiper on the course?
            coastwalker

We were soo close, MR! We'll have to do a better job of setting up a meeting at the next race. Thanks, Enke, but as MaineRunnah said, the conditions were ideal, and barely winter-like. Thanks Tom - it was fun! I didn't see a bagpiper, Henry. It is always nice to have some music on the course, but this time we had to make our own. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks for the great report Coastwalker, I love reading everyones race reports you learn so much. Sounds like a well run race and a good warm up for the half you have coming up. Good luck! Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Nice work, coast!
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice job! I agree that overstriding can cause problems. My groin/hamstring issue over the summer was, I think, partly due to overstriding.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

nice work Jay!! i hope we get to meet up at a local race once i'm back into it too!!

denise

arf

MM #405

Great race Jay, Congrats! I've never heard of a race starting with the clang of a cowbell, very cool! Good luck in your half. arf