Masters Running

Resolution Run 2008 in Raleigh, NC ... good start for New Year! (Read 393 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Race location: Raleigh, NC. Put on by NCRC (North Carolina Roadrunners Club). Sunny, windy, 40F. Up at 6 am to run Tory (my dog) for a couple miles before heading to Raleigh to run the "Resolution Run (5K)". I looked at last year race times for 50-59 AG and thought I should be able to win or for sure place this race! When I got there and was warming up I asked a guy which way the course went. He says "....it goes down there then up to a culdesac then comes back here and goes up that hill. If you can make it up that long hill it's downhill home. I hope you like hills.." Now I'm thinking, "so that's why the AG times were so slow!". Indeed, downhill start and only about 1/3 of the first mile was uphill so I nailed a 6:33 first mile. Then the hill from mile 1.5 to 2.5 caused mile 3 to be 7:40 and mile 3 to be 7:30. Mile 3 was 1/2 up and 1/2 down but a stiff headwind for the down! Came in at 22:40 (7:19 pace) but it was a 5K PR by 8 seconds on a much tougher course AND I placed 3rd in 50-59 AG (out of 28 ) and received a discount for a NewBalance store. So the New Year is starting off with a PR and hardware! I still hate 5K's they are SO painful. Here's the elevation profile..

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

hey percheck, congrats on your PR and placing 3rd in your AG. That was a pretty hilly 5K! Happy New Year and here's to a great running year for you!
        Great start to the new year, Perch. Maybe 2008 will "all be downhill from here?" Tough course!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good job, Perch, and congrats on the PR. If you can run a PR on that course, you should be able to run even faster on a flat course. Dark Horse
          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Marathon Maniac #957

I still hate 5K's they are SO painful.
            Yup. Me, too. Smile Great job, though. Congratulations on your PR and 3rd AG placement!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

munchkn883

Great job Perch!! Look forward to seeing you and Tory in the neighborhood soon!
                Nice swag there! Congratulations on the PR and picking up some hardware. I always like returning from a race with more than a crumpled race bib number. Good stuff and on a hilly 5k to boot. The 5k will never be my favorite and even if I trained for it specifically..I can't imagine loving it. Great race and I am guessing you'll have to make more room in the case for future hardware too. CNyrunner
                  Very nice job Perch... PR on tough course plus some hardware!! Sorry I'm not familiar with your workouts....but what do you attribute your PR to...do you do alot of hill work?
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    Nice 5K run, Perchcreek! You got a PR on a hilly course with lots of wind?? Can't wait to hear how many more PR's you will have in 2008 with a flatter course and better weather Big grin I agree with you about the pain from running 5K's.....got my current stress fracture from one Sad Great running, stay healthy! John
                    Mariposai

I am so glad Tori was there with you for the w/u. What a way to start the New Year with a PR, hardware and a discount for a New Balance store. Cool

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

#artbydmcbride

Excellent job Perchcreek! Great outfit too. Smile

Runners run

perch, that's pretty impressive to get a PR on a hilly course with wind. Congrats on your fine race and AG award. TomS
                            WTG, Steve. You may hate them, but I am sure there are more PRs at this distance for you.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Very nice job Perch... PR on tough course plus some hardware!! Sorry I'm not familiar with your workouts....but what do you attribute your PR to...do you do alot of hill work?
                              Thanks! Sekret to my success... hmm. 1. My prior PR was Jan 2005 since then I've only run a few hilly hot 5K's which forced a slower pace 2. 3 years of base building (6430 miles) since prior PR 3. VO2 Max increase from 42 to 45.5 A bigger base and attacking hills during m-Long Runs are the biggest contributors

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

SteveP

That's a well run race. Thanks for posting it.

SteveP