Masters Running

Too Warm Tuesday, May 25 Daily (Read 657 times)

Yeah, Mary and Deb - it felt like we went right to mid-summer. Yesterday evening was one of those soft summer nights when I wish I had a convertible to drive around it. At least my windows were all rolled down.

Mariposai, I'm a pretty good bike mechanic, but unfortunately not exactly close enough to you. If I were, I'd fix carmen for free!

Wow, sounds like you've been through a lot, Larry. I hope it starts getting better. By the way, I can vouch that beta blockers will slow you down. I had no reason to be on them specifically, and after we changed my BP meds I sped up and felt much better.

No running since Sunday, but I rode 28 vigorous miles Monday around the park with a couple of triathlete friends. Today it was a more laid back 26 miles on the weekly ride from the senior center, but my legs were definitely feeling the previous day's workout. 

Afterwards, my DW had a lunch date, so I stopped by a local dining institution -- a coney joint along the creek that is always lined up on summer days -- for a coney dog and fries, lunching under the outdoor canopy and enjoying the summery weather.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

After all those months of bitter cold and ice and snow and frozen butt cheeks and finger tips and chin and agonizing over windchill vs. precipitation vs. temperature followed by 30 minutes of layering clothes, you will NEVER hear me complain about the heat.  Although I may mention it in passing occasionally....

Ah, you read my mind, sister! And usually when I mention it it's with delight and pleasure! But then again, we don't get much in the way of humidity here. And I reserve the right to bitch about forest fire smoke...

Larry! So good to see you again and I hope you can continue to rebuild your base and enjoy your runs! Three sfx in your foot... wow. Similar to what I heard, but it was in the past tense. No wonder my damn foot hurt so much. Good for you for taking so much time off to heal the foot. Pain free is good, yes?

Mariposai, that would be so nice to work close enough to go home for lunch. Do you ever feel like you can't really leave the office behind though?

Jlynne, if you only work 5 miles from home, you definitely should be riding your bike! I've biked to work a couple of times, and it's almost 10 miles with several hills. Just load up your stuff in a backpack. I haven't solved the sweaty helmet hair problem though... My boss lives just a little over a mile from work and he drives all the time. I can't imagine why he does that.

Nice hot sweaty runs for some of you folks. I'll get mine in at lunchtime. I forgot my shirt though. Guess it'll be a shirtless run for me! (I do have a t-shirt here that I'll wear to and from the building, leave it at the trail start)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yeah, Mary and Deb - it felt like we went right to mid-summer. Yesterday evening was one of those soft summer nights when I wish I had a convertible to drive around it. At least my windows were all rolled down.

No convertible here either - so I hopped on my scooter last night and drove 5 miles to my sisters to deliver a book and then back home.   Just getting used to riding on the road - it felt great!    Tomorrow is my first commute to work on it and I'll be riding with a co-worker.   Talk about helmet hair - yikes!!

Larry!!!   Good to see you again.   Sorry about all the stress fractures and having to miss Bayshore, but it sounds like you are healed.    Missed you!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

stumpy, good job on  your longest run.  lame, congrats to your daughter on her mile PR.  vista, those lunches sound like a great perk, in spite of the extra calories.  eliz, it's good to hear from you and way to go on the marathon plans.  hallar, it's good to hear from you, too.  Sorry to hear about the stress fractures but glad to know you're healed and coming back.

Nice long runs for lame, evan, and breger (with speedwork).  Good job on the speedwork for Dave.

hopeful's title for the daily and the comments of others match my situation.  For today's 12 miles, it started out in the mid 60s, calm, and humid.  A little under 2 hours and 6 minutes later when I finally finished, it was in the mid 80s.  The run was hard from the start.  It didn't get much worse as I trudged along, but my pace kept getting slower.  I ended up with an overall pace of 10:28.  I don't usually take water with me but did today and was glad of it. 

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I was able to do a nice three mile run last night after getting home from work.

Holly.........I got the larger font by typing the article in Word and then doing a "copy and paste" routine to bring it over to here.   I did have to take out some smiley faces that somehow got copied over.

Mariposi.....I am actually going to be in Maine in July to attend my high school class reunion.   Not sure how the time would connect with you but I do look forward to swatting mosquitoes and black flies for a few days up there.

Wildchild.......The owner of the company is a woman and she weighs 105 pounds and has absolutely no fat.  She feasts all day on chocolates (which also sits on the table each day to go in and get at any time).  The CEO is a lady and she weighs about 125 pounds and also can eat what she wants.   They both are very health aware and make sure that the meal has plenty of salads, grain breads etc.    But it also has the doggone home cooked food.   My office is directly across the hall from the dining area so I am closest to the action.  The truth is, I will be fine.  I just have to be wise and selective....(and keep my door shut).  None of the managers have a problem with weight and they range in ages from 28 to three people in their 50's.

Vista

Afternoon, gang!

Eliz - signed up for a marathon, huh?  absolutely awesome!!

Mary - all of the puppies have gone to their new forever homes?? Can't wait until the next litter!

Heat and humidity prevail, and it isn't even summer yet!

Joey - hope the blackfly season is over by the time you get to Maine - those are some really ornery pests!

Carolyn and dg - thanks for thinking of me.  I'm a bit swamped with work on top of feeling sorry for myself.  After 5 weeks of abstinence, I did a walk/run on the TM Sunday - 5 miles with no residual effects.  I did a repeat yesterday morning - felt great.  Then I did a few minutes of agility with the Jester last night and woke up feeling ouchy again this morning.  I'm going to follow through with my PT appointment tomorrow.  Depending on how that goes, I may seek another opinion - I'm hoping the PT can make a recommendation if necessary.  I'm really struggling with patience at this point  - dg, I know you know exactly what I'm talking about. How goes the running??

78 minutes on the elliptical this morning (dg - I'm thinking you are probably right about not doing so much time on the elliptical, but I am stubborn and perhaps a little stupid...maybe a lot stupid), and a peaceful yoga session for lunch.

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

I'm back!  Was I missed?  Even a little itsy teeny weeny bit??

Hallar - Glad to hear your parts and pieces have healed up.  Good to have you back.

Eliz - Congratulations on signing up for a marathon!

I'd love to commute to work via bike, but alas, I couldn't stand being all sweaty and icky all day while in pantyhose, etc., at work.  Also, closed up in conference rooms with clients - they might balk at the oh-dair.  Now if there was a shower here . . . Hey - maybe I could talk 'em into installing one!  . . . probably not.

I probably should've run this a.m. since it's suppose to rain the rest of the week, but I chose to "ride" instead (30 min), and followed it up with 1.25 hrs of core/strength training.

My co-worker/conference buddy and I have decided to keep one another accountable for what we're shoving in our pie holes each day.  So I weighed this a.m. and officially am going to work toward losing 8 lbs by SOB on July 10.  It's doable . . . if I can just stay away from the Jr. Mints.

Have a good one ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm back!  Was I missed?  Even a little itsy teeny weeny bit??

Heck yeah!

You, too, Halllar and Sue!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

jtv

A soupy 58F at 6am here is South Jersey too!

Byll - nice run.

Jlynne - I enjoyed the 24 finale, especially the end sequence between Chloe and Jack.  Sad to see it go.

Eliz - good luck in your marathon training

Larry - glad to hear you are back on the mend.  The speed will return.

5 walking miles in 54:19.

1.25hrs of core work Fatozzig?  That's more than I do in a year.

Nice to see you back Hallar, even though the reason for your absence was sucky.

Eliz - jump right into the deep end....you can do it!

Not too warm at all, about 55 partly cloudy.  6.3 miles.  I meant to do 7 but my legs seized on the hill at mile 4 (which almost never happens) so I knew it just wasn't my day.  I cut out the last hill to give myself a break.

Stop whining about the weather people!  Have you forgotten about last winter already!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Larry, welcome back, and nice avatar!  

Hi Leslie!  Of course we missed you!  How was Sacramento?  I think another valid excuse for living close to work and not biking, besides no shower, would be if there was a section of the route that wasn't safe for biking, like an expressway.

Mary, have fun "scooting" to work tomorrow!

Sue, good luck finding some patience. And a cure for what's ailing you.  Speaking of which, where's Twocat?  

6 mile trail run at lunch, avg pace just under 11mm.   70° and sunny, but only 25% humidity and breezy, so not bad at all.  I'm feeling some DOMS from my mountain trail run on Sunday, but I wanted to do a couple of tempo-ish segments.  I figured I'd pick up the pace at the nice shady stretch at about mile 2, but there was a fierce headwind, so it was all I could do to keep truckin at a slow pace.  I picked it up on the way back, and ran a half mile at a 9:12 pace.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Hey Leslie! I always miss you when you're gone.

I ran 6 miles at lunchtime. Temps around 70, lots of little flies out (gnats? seems too early for them) and they were all stuck to my sweaty self when I was done. Ewww. Sort of a progression run today

8:29

8:32

8:22

8:08

7:56

and last .5 mile at 7:23 (this felt like all out almost RTYP effort)

then .5 mile up the hill to my office building at 8:59, which sounds easy but it was hard (steep).

Walked about .3 mile trying to cool off; I was all sweaty and very red faced. Temps not bad but this was all in full sun and felt hot (comment, not a complaint). Got to go to my 2 pm meeting still looking like a sweaty mess.

Caroline - Sacto is a city.  Not much I can say about it, except. . . we actually finally made it to an IKEA.  It's been like a crusade for us for the past 5 or so years (I think I said that before).  Had a good time.  Even got the greeter to take a picture of the 3 of us.   I managed to get out with spending only about $64.

Nice progression run, Erika.  Did ya tell the other meeting attendees, "Sorry I'm so sweaty.  Been working my a$$ off all morning. "  Maybe you woulda gotta a raise.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Roch...you know I much rather fix Carmen than buy a new one to me. I bougth her last year during a LR, that Ribs had me timed...so I stopped at the yard sale...paid for the bike, kept on running and told the person I would be back in 3  hours to pick it up. I really like Carmen (she is named after my fave Opera)

Vista, my DH and I will be in Portland, Maine during the week of July 17th. When will you be there? Any good suggestions on places to see while in there will be much appreciated.

Carolyn, thank for thinking of my son. He is OK, but worried about some of his students. Speaking of DS, he is coming home in a month. Mama is happy, of course.

Erika, I have no problem work at work. You know me...I can give my 1000% to everything...but this job allows me to leave work at work and come home to enjoy lunch and catching up with friends since I have no such privilege to do so at work....a plus, I guess. Hey...we need a chat date sistahhh.

4 easy miles after a hefty...I have sooooo many of these meetings this week that I am already tired. Legs are tired, but like hallar...lungs are another story.

BTW, hallar, I much rather see you here posting your no-runs or walks than none at all

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

What's the weather looking like for Bayshore?

Weekend forcast

You rock Eliz

Shucks Hallar, I was hoping to see ya again.

I spent 4 hours in the back of a delivery van moving windows. The temps got to be over 90. I'll call that cross training today. After work, Tag and I went for a few miles. He wasn't his usual terror, but it was fun

SteveP