Masters Running

Bridge Run 5 mile RR (Read 189 times)

TammyinGP

Bridge Run 5 mile RR This is one of the few local Grants Pass races that we have here – most are in Medford about 25-30 miles away. I’ve never run this race before because it always falls on the Eugene Marathon weekend so the past couple years I’ve been up in Eugene, and prior to that I wasn’t really a runner so never knew it existed. It was nice to actually sleep in until 7:00 a.m., take my time getting ready and not have to leave the house until a bit before 8:00 for an 8:30 a.m. race. By the time I arrived, the 5K race was just underway. John was there to cheer me on before he headed up to Eugene for the weekend. He took a few pics which I’ll add on later when he sends them to me. Today was cooler, off and on light rain, and since I’m still battling this cold/cough, I probably overdressed, but I really didn’t want to get chilled today. I wore black shorts, a thin light gray shirt and a black long sleeve zip pullover. The plan today was moderate effort but not push myself since I’m running a long run of 15 miles tomorrow. There was a small field for this race, maybe around 60, if even that. I didn’t see the usual speedsters in my AG. I had fleeting thoughts of pushing myself on this one because I think I could have placed in my AG, but kept remembering the bigger picture – my 15 mile training run tomorrow. That had to be my focus this weekend. This was a fairly flat course with a few rolling hills. Part of it was running on the chip bark path through the same park as the GP HM last fall – which Econo will remember. Thankfully no running on slick wet grass, although even the bark path was a bit soft in places from the rain we’ve had. My splits were: 8.43, 9.06. 9.24, 9.39, 9.18 and another .52 seconds for the .12 miles that the course was long, per Garmin. Final time was 46:58. During the awards I learned that had I pushed myself a bit more and overtaken red shirt girl in front of me, I would have placed 3rd AG. I missed it by about 10 seconds or so. But the lady who got 3rd AG was so incredibly excited and elated when they called her name, so I was glad for her. Thanks for reading. Now I'm just focusing on my training - no more races really. Just a HM on 6/6 which is part of my 20 mile run that day.

Tammy

Tammy great race and so close to the AG...but so nice of you to feel elated for the lady that came in front of you. Running is a big part about the camarederie as we celebrate on this forum. Way to go and hope your training keeps being stellar. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

wildchild

Carolyn

Tammy, congrats on 4th in AG. Sweet of you to feel good for the red shirt gal who won 3rd. I hope your cold/cough are cleared up for tomorrow's 15 miler - good luck!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

You are growing in this sport. Good work. Careful tomorrow. Good job Tammy. Spareribs
          SteveP

Your race sounds like a blast. Kudos for being happy for lady who placed 3rd in your AG. Thanks fo rthe RR

SteveP

WTG Tammy! Nice race and good pacing.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                Nice race, Tammy. It's neat that you found a small race near home that you could do the day before a long run. Congratulations on your almost AG award. I'm sure the 3rd place lady was greatful you let her get the award. Good luck on your long run and beating your cold/cough. TomS
                coastwalker

Hi Tammy, Isn't it nice to know that, without pushing yourself, you can still get very close to AG award contention? Nice job of remembering the big picture, but still going out and having a good race. Good luck in the 15er, and take care of that cold. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Way to keep your eye on what is important. Thanks for sharing I hope to be able to do the same next weekend in a 25k race that I just want to use as a MP training type run. I usually have a trouble when I am actually in the race though. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Strong running Tammy and you'll keep seeing some great results as you continue to incorporate races with training. You learn pacing that way and can stay focused for longer distances too. You had quite the impressive running weekend!
                        Sorry you missed that AG award by 10 seconds! Sounds like you have a lot of nice races down your way. Good job not running too fast so that you can run long the next day. Looks like I won't be able to run with you at Seattle RnR, as I'm basically not running at all right now with this inner ear problem. I do hope to cheer you at the end as you cross that finish line!!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

#artbydmcbride

Great job sticking to the big picture. Your discipline will pay off in spades at your marathon. Smile

Runners run

Bravo, TammyGP. Good job! I remember the chip bark, and also the grass field with the right angle Left turn across the little foot bridge. Yikes! GP is a really nice place, and my DD3 and I were agreeing just the other night that we'd like to race again down there in Grants Pass. Good report, and I really do consider my GP shirt as my best. Woods Lady

Renee the dog

Tammy, I finally just got time to read this. You really exercised a whole lot of discipline to not get caught up in the moment at the race. WELL DONE!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - nice job - especially for a race you weren't "racing." Now I have to go back and read how your 15-miler went the next day... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."